Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve reports the following as the bestselling titles on Steam for last week:

1. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. They Are Billions
  4. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  5. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  6. DARK SOULS III
  7. Assassin's Creed Origins
  8. Cuphead
  9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
  10. ARK: Survival Evolved

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 20:06 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 12:03:
Sepharo wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 21:50:
Quinn wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 20:36:
[...] finish the product they always intended to make [...]

This has never happened in the history of game or software development.

Really? Witcher 3 seems pretty well done.

Every game changes and evolves as it is developed. You can find a few examples in the wiki article for Witcher 3 in the Development section and I'm sure there are many more that the public has just never heard of.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 18:58 Quinn

Creston wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 12:03:

That's one of the many examples that comes to mind. Want more examples? Think of any "relatively perfect" game that never went through EA, because of course that's what I was going for with my original comment.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

15. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 26, 2017, 18:52 LiTh

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 17:07:
LiTh wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 11:58:
They are Billions is pretty awesome. Really enjoying it!

Looks good, but I'm reticent to get something in EA.

Understandable, however this game feels closer to a release than any other EA game i've played. If there was never any updates for it i'd still be happy with my purchase.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 12:03 Creston

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 02:44 jacobvandy

1badmf wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 00:27:
how do you even beat it once?!?

Oh that's easy, I don't think I've ever played at 100% difficulty, lol. It took me several tries to win on the first map at 10%, but then i was able to do 20% and unlock the second map. The last time I played a few days ago I eat the second map at about 30%. To unlock the third though I think it's 60%, so I just gotta work up to that.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 01:21 Rigs

That reminds me of the 80's and early 90's, before PC gaming got big and 'mainstream', devs would put out games, like say a simulation like Aces of the Pacific or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and then bring out expansion packs or plane disks. For racing sims, it would be track packs, like Indycar Racing 1 and 2 and Nascar Racing. But sometimes they'd say they would put out expansions or planned to but then never followed through or put it off for the sequel. X-Wing comes to mind, as does Tie Fighter. Both were to get another expansion but the X-Wing expansion (after B-Wing) was scrapped for full-on development of Tie Fighter and then Tie Fighters second expansion was scrapped so Totally Games could work another project. It was common for devs in interviews to say they would consider the possibility of bringing out expansions to user requests before release.

I say all this because even 'perfect' games, those that seem to be about as complete as they could possibly be (though Tie Fighter had some very notorious bugs in it's campaign and X-Wing's difficulty spikes had just as much notoriety) are never truly done. However, aside from demos, I couldn't imagine there being a successful 'early access' program during that time period. (All other things being equal, like lack of broadband/internet access, there still was BBS's, which is where most of us got our patches and demos at the time) Either you knew the devs or were lucky to be in a QA program for them...or you were previewing a title for a publication. There weren't many other options.

=-Rigs-=

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 00:27 1badmf

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 19:14:
The question you should always ask yourself about an early access game is, "would I be okay with development stopping right now?" Right now TAB has a challenging survival mode with adjustable difficulty and 4 different tilesets of randomly generated maps. I've played about 40 hours so far and I think I'm on the cusp of being able to unlock the third map type. For $22, I don't think I'd be too upset if it never saw any further updates, just disappointed because there is a lot of potential, and I think the campaign could be really fun.

how do you even beat it once?!? don't get me wrong it's a brilliant game, but goddamn it tests you. it tests your defense strategy, it tests your perimeter size, it tests attention to detail, in the end it tests your patience, but that's more my fault than anything.

i would say i get to the end game maybe 1/6 games on 100% difficulty, but i don't really come close to surviving it. i tend to stay away from the turrets because they're such a huge drain on resources in addition to their upfront cost. i prefer building towers full of troops which are cheaper and mobile, and use thanatoses for AOE for end game rushes and their mobility. but still, i didn't come close. i built 20 thanatoses with at least 3 towers of troops at every wall, with at least triple thick walls AND ballista towers since they're cheap. and still didn't come close! even got the robot dude for free from one of my mayors. any tips would be appreciated. in the mean time, once more unto the breach dear friends...

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 26, 2017, 00:26 Numinar

My problem with EA is that some games just never seem to get out of early access. Seems like some devs spend more time keeping their audience updated than actually working on finishing the game.

I liked the old model more: Developers work on their game, finish the product they always intended to make, then listen to their customers for continuous support.

I don't get EA gamers either. Why bleed a game dry before you manage to play the finished product?! I accidentally bled Subnautica dry because I didn't know I was playing an EA (no comment...). I'll play the 1.0 when it's done, but the newness is gone.

I think some genres work better for this than others. MP only games seem to benefit from it, like PUBG (Which still feels EA after 1.0 but is still great). Same with sandbox sims like Kerbal, Factorio or Prison Architect which were all amazing well before 1.0.

Anything Narrative does not suit it. Unexplored and Pit People are fantastic but seem like they might have been better cooked longer before public release, though they may be benefiting from crowd sourced testing. Pit People especially is going to be sad when it gets released because my daughter and I have already experienced most of it piecemeal, though maybe I'll be surprised and there will be 5x more story content on release but I doubt it.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 21:50 Sepharo

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 20:36 Quinn

My problem with EA is that some games just never seem to get out of early access. Seems like some devs spend more time keeping their audience updated than actually working on finishing the game.

I liked the old model more: Developers work on their game, finish the product they always intended to make, then listen to their customers for continuous support.

I don't get EA gamers either. Why bleed a game dry before you manage to play the finished product?! I accidentally bled Subnautica dry because I didn't know I was playing an EA (no comment...). I'll play the 1.0 when it's done, but the newness is gone.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 19:14 jacobvandy

The question you should always ask yourself about an early access game is, "would I be okay with development stopping right now?" Right now TAB has a challenging survival mode with adjustable difficulty and 4 different tilesets of randomly generated maps. I've played about 40 hours so far and I think I'm on the cusp of being able to unlock the third map type. For $22, I don't think I'd be too upset if it never saw any further updates, just disappointed because there is a lot of potential, and I think the campaign could be really fun.  

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 25, 2017, 17:07 jdreyer

LiTh wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 11:58:

Looks good, but I'm reticent to get something in EA.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 25, 2017, 11:58 LiTh

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 11:26 Muscular Beaver

Retired wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 11:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 10:22:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is back on the list, I wonder if it's paid for itself yet?

Game should be free - they make hundreds of millions on the skins.
Oh god, then cheating would be even worse... though its sometimes hard to imagine it can get even worse. Sometimes reminds me of the private servers back in the 90s getting raided by whole groups of cheaters.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 11:11 Retired

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 10:22:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is back on the list, I wonder if it's paid for itself yet?

Game should be free - they make hundreds of millions on the skins.

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 11:09 jacobvandy

Go They Are Billions! Even higher on the list than it was last week, despite the sale starting since then.  

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 25, 2017, 10:22 RedEye9

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo