Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Mesa Update; Sale

This announcement from the Black Mesa team informs us that a new December update is now in public beta testing for this authorized remake of the first Half-Life game (thanks RedEye9). This includes a bunch of technical enhancements, intended to bring the release version closer in line with their internal build. They say this will make the eventual completion of the project simpler, as the release of the Xen chapter will be more like a map release than a game update. They celebrate the news with a 75% off sale, and offer the following details:

We released an update for Black Mesa (currently on public beta) that adds real-time dynamic lights, lens flares, god rays, and a host of other features to the existing earthbound sections of the game. The goal of this update is to get the released version of the game as close to our internal build as possible. This way, the final Xen release can be closer to a simple map drop; with less potential for engine and code issues affecting players on their first time playing Xen. We are hoping to test the engine and solve all feature and performance problems before the real release, so that everyone can enjoy our definitive vision of the game without issues.

We are striving to make sure Xen is fun, well thought-out, and cohesive. Each chapter has its own theme and artstyle, and we are developing them in parallel to ensure they are all at the same high standard of quality. Xen, in its current form, is made up of 14 maps across these final 5 chapters, with each map alone being significantly larger than the originals. We are putting our full effort into completing Xen in a timely manner so that everyone can have the complete Black Mesa experience!

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 26, 2017, 09:37 RedEye9

Prez wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 08:13:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 15:17:
Nobody wants to return to Xen.

nobody.

I do.
lol

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 26, 2017, 08:13 Prez

DangerDog wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 15:17:

nobody.

I do.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 24, 2017, 18:08 RedEye9

http://www.pcgamer.com/black-mesa-update-brings-xen-levels-one-step-closer/ had this to say:
"in June the team set December as a "do-or-die deadline", but that's now been pushed back (and, thankfully, nobody has died)."
hehe

6. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 24, 2017, 17:54 ItBurn

Solid remake. I think it's the definitive way of playing HL1 today. I wish they'd make a different version that would be less faithful, but more modern.  

5. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 24, 2017, 15:31 RedEye9

Overon wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 15:15:
Okay I played a mod called Black Mesa years ago. I remember finishing it. Is this the same thing from back then or is it different?
In a nutshell; "yes, kind of"

The Steam version runs on a branch of the Team Fortress 2 engine and is licensed by Crowbar Collective allowing them access to the source code (or access to modify and add to the engine) etc.

The mod runs on a much older version of the Source Engine with it's inherent limitations.

4. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 24, 2017, 15:17 DangerDog

nobody.

3. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 24, 2017, 15:15 Overon

Okay I played a mod called Black Mesa years ago. I remember finishing it. Is this the same thing from back then or is it different?  

2. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 24, 2017, 14:08 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 12:35:
Hurry and finish so you can do Opposing Force and Blue Shift! Lighter

Insanely good deal for this remake!
Yeah, $5 bucks is stupid. But then again it was in April's humblebundle.
you know that Crowbar Collective is not doing the "dlc's"

OF Remake: http://www.moddb.com/mods/operation-black-mesa
OF Remake 2: http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa-green-forces

BS Remake: http://www.moddb.com/mods/guardduty
BS Remake 2: http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-mesa-insecurity

1. Re: Black Mesa Update; Sale Dec 24, 2017, 12:35 Acleacius

Hurry and finish so you can do Opposing Force and Blue Shift! Lighter

Insanely good deal for this remake!