Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Safety Dance

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 24, 2017, 20:05 Slashman

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 13:58:
Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 08:52:
Cutter has nailed the problem. Length is the key. Make the task too lengthy to be worthwhile for hackers to trudge through.

Who's hacking you the traditional way of typing in your password X times before it locks you out. Anything out of the ordinary untold to others is going to do the job.

Are there wifi routers with daily passwords you can hand out to visitors? Or are we also giving away our wifi password to friends and friends of friends. If not, why not? Don't companies concerned with security understand how this all goes in real life?

Don't forget that there are multiple levels to hacks. If someone can snapshot a database or something but you still have a decent password, you can avoid your personal information being used against you even if it is stolen due to negligence beyond your control. That is unless your data is stored in plain text or uses MD5. In which case, you are screwed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 24, 2017, 13:58 HorrorScope

Slashman wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 08:52:
Cutter has nailed the problem. Length is the key. Make the task too lengthy to be worthwhile for hackers to trudge through.

Who's hacking you the traditional way of typing in your password X times before it locks you out. Anything out of the ordinary untold to others is going to do the job.

Are there wifi routers with daily passwords you can hand out to visitors? Or are we also giving away our wifi password to friends and friends of friends. If not, why not? Don't companies concerned with security understand how this all goes in real life?

10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 24, 2017, 08:52 Slashman

9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 22:24 Cutter

Requisite xkcd password strength.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 20:31 HorrorScope

What dumb ass systems are even allowing just 123456 as a password these days? If they are serious about security, at least put in a rule to make it a little more restrictive than that. That said, the security that gets us isn't related to knowing your individual password, deflect back to the little people as the problem, while millions get breached by a single source.  

7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 19:58 1badmf

you know what's a sadly easy solution? uncap password character limits. i like to use easy to remember but hard to guess catchy phrases as passwords but only a few sites let you use more than a 16 character PW. my google PW is something like 50 characters long and i wish i could use it on more than just that site.

you know what the next evolution in security should be? access files. no more PWs - upload a small file that only you have. in terms of characters, even a small file is thousands of characters long, and even if someone knew the file they would still need to have it in order to access your sites. wouldn't even have to be text file. could be a small image file or something.

6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 17:14 Wallshadows

Our work uses a password such as this but whoever set it up at least had the decency to start it with a letter before going full suitcase security.  

5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 12:52 SlimRam

Gee THANKS Blue for just blabbing my password for the WORLD to see!  

4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 12:36 RedEye9

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 12:20:
That's amazing, I've got the same combination on my luggage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K95SXe3pZoY

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it

3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 12:20 Agent.X7

That's amazing, I've got the same combination on my luggage!  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 12:15 jdreyer

C'mon people! At least add a seven to that.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 23, 2017, 11:05 Creston

To be fair, probably 5000 of those 123456 passwords are mine, as I always use that password on every new iPhone I set up.

(Our mdm solution makes us change it once we enroll the phone anyway.)

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo