Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Legal Briefs

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 24, 2017, 13:20 jdreyer

Imagine if your electricity company could charge you depending on what device you used:

Lights - $0.10 / kwh
TV/Computer - $0.15 / kwh
A/C in winter - $0.10 / kwh
A/C in summer - $0.25 / kwh
Mobile device charging - $1 / kwh (power company wants that mobile device vig)
Didn't order the "appliance package?" Your dishwasher, washing machine, and oven won't work.

Etc. That's what's going to happen to the internet if we don't have NN.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 24, 2017, 13:15 jdreyer

NKD wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 18:17:
I am always astonished at how WaltC manages to be on the wrong side of literally EVERY issue. You'd think he'd get one right by sheer chance one of these days.

I agreed with him the other day when he said, "Yeah, I think that 'an emphasis on online gaming' to the exclusion of single play gaming signals a definite downturn in game quality."

But yeah, we usually have to agree to disagree.

6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 18:17 NKD

I am always astonished at how WaltC manages to be on the wrong side of literally EVERY issue. You'd think he'd get one right by sheer chance one of these days.  

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 17:48 Simon Says

WaltC wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 15:24:
Ho-humm...I swear, the amount of fear mongering and stupidity generated to support government control of the Internet through the 'net neutrality' political scam is mind boggling.

For someone who preaches about and praises his education... you just broke the ignorance-o-meter. The WWW ( as born in 1989 ) was by design net neutrality enabled by default. It was merely a given, there was no technology available to violate it at the time, it wasn't even something that people even thought about and the tech didn't come into being much later, after the big boom expansion.

Once said technology enabling net neutrality violations became available, ISPs all over the world started attempting to use it for profit at the expense of everyone else using abuses of power which weren't possible until then.

Sources here
and here

What people are asking for, especially the founders and architects of the internet as we know it, the experts, the rightful wisdom authorities, is that we respect the initial design as it maximizes competition and innovation in the content and freedom of said content as well as access to said content.

For the container in the US in particular, that's another discussion, you guys fucked up your telecommunications sector so bad in the last hundred years... and no, just because it was the "gov's fault" in the past doesn't mean history will repeat unless you want to commit a whole bunch of logical fallacies in your argumentation.

Now, even for someone who probably preaches about "light touch", THIS is what light touch IS, promotion of competition and innovation. Failing to do this, well, just look at the partial, not complete, sources, they have so many "great ideas" for anti-competitive backward practices as well as abuses of power and this is just what we are aware of as "great ideas" go... This isn't fearmongering, it happened, it's happening ( Netflix case is still in effect ) and it will continue to happen as long as you will let ISPs double dip or even triple dip as they please without efficient referee work.

What we want is simply a reset to factory settings, NOT A GOV POWER GRAB. We want ISPs to stop being able to cheat their way to our pockets and prevent them from interfering with the free flow of the content.

It has NOTHING to do with CNN/libtards/republitards/whatever useless label and "the sky is falling" and whatnots.

It's about adult people who imagine they are so bright and knowledgeable yet seem unaware of the actual history behind the discussion, seemingly preferring to ignore it, or rewrite it and possibly some massive Dunning-Kruger going on. All defending crooked businessmen ready and willing to bend over everyone, including their "heroic defenders" as long as it's profitable for THEM and furthers their own power. They already abused their powers with NN in place as the Netflix case testifies, and that's despite regulation in place to thwart it, you really think they're going to stop there if they haven't been rightfully stopped from double dipping on this case yet?

You sir need to look in the mirror, turn those fingers 7 times before typing and DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST. That's the when, the who, the what, the where and most importantly the how and the why of the issue. Because it's crystal clear that you did not and "spoke through your hat".

Good luck sir!

4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 15:33 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 12:55:
Where I live, enrolling someone in a contract change without specific agreement (signed!) makes that contract null and void.... I'd love my ISP to do that, hehe, but I guess German ISP's aren't THAT retarded.

In the USA, it's identity theft, which can net you $100K fine and 5 years in jail. Yet 5000 Wells Fargo employees did just that and didn't face any consequences. So there's nothing keeping other companies from doing it.

3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 15:24 WaltC

Yawn...all subscription contracts generally include cancellation clauses with certain terms--no notice, 30-days-notice, 60-days notice, etc., which may be invoked *by either party* at will. This has been a staple of such contract law since long before the electric circuit was invented, never mind long before the time when Al Gore claims to have raped the mother of the Internet...;)

Ho-humm...I swear, the amount of fear mongering and stupidity generated to support government control of the Internet through the 'net neutrality' political scam is mind boggling. Almost every day I wake up delighted to have received my formal education (*and* my degree from the school of hard knocks) when authentic, quality education was *obtainable* and commonplace in the US. In those days, logic and rationality were highly esteemed while today there is serious doubt as to their proper spelling, let alone their meaning. I laugh about it--yes--because it is all so stupid it's humorous--like watching the three stooges continuously inflicting bodily harm on each other is humorous--for about the first ten minutes it's a riot...;)

What's considered a solid basis for education today? It runs the gamut from 'The sky is falling and we are all going to die next week! to *The sky is falling so let's raise taxes and pass a law to stop it!*...;) Current view of national history, for instance: "We don't like what happened long before we were born, so let's all pretend it never did--big group hug! History should be about feelings--not about fact, oh, no! Facts are death!" And there you have the modern curriculum at Harvard these days.

I've never had a real appreciation for just how stupid it is possible for adults to become before watching the antics of the legacy press for the last couple of years--and the sort of low-brow, intellectually vacant antics of CNN "believers" and their mindless troupe of brain-dead groupies...;) [For those who haven't been watching here and there, CNN thinks it is a part of the US government and that it has the right to lie to its audience anytime it wants, etc.] Talk about the lights being on while no one is home....!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 12:55 eRe4s3r

Where I live, enrolling someone in a contract change without specific agreement (signed!) makes that contract null and void.... I'd love my ISP to do that, hehe, but I guess German ISP's aren't THAT retarded.  

1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 12:19 jdreyer

Of course Comcast did. They saw Wells Fargo do it and escape punishment, and they wanted that sweet, sweet cash. It's Christmas everyday for Comcast!  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo