Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test

The Star Citizen Forums have word that Star Citizen alpha version 3.0 is now available on the PTU for testing by all backers of the space game (thanks DSOGaming via RedEye9). This 3.0 Production Schedule Report from a couple of weeks ago gives a sense of what to expect from the alpha version. This post has the details on how backers can participate:

We’ve enabled all backers to participate in the current PTU build. If you have a game package, you can follow these instructions to test 3.0!

- Download the installer at https://install.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-prerelease/RSI-Setup-1.0.0-ptu.31.exe .
- While this is installing, copy your account to PTU at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/copy/ptu.
- You will get your temporary PTU password delivered in email.

PLEASE NOTE: This process is subject to heavy load and may take up to an hour!

- 3.0.0 Patch Notes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/star-citizen-patch-3-0-0-ptu

- New Default Controls Scheme: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/ptu-default-control-changes

- PTU Frequently Asked Questions: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/ptu-frequently-asked-questions

Come join us in PTU Test Chat on Spectrum at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/lobby/38230!

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 27, 2017, 16:24 jdreyer

I got my issue resolved. Here are the latest instructions:

Ho Ho Ho Citizen!

Thank you for contacting RSI Player Relations! Let's get you back up flying!

As I read, you had some problems trying to log into the PTU.

GOOD NEWS!

We have pushed 3.0 to LIVE!

So we turned the PTU servers off an switched to the PU.

Here is how to access the game:

Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 requires the installation of a new launcher which will tremendously reduce the amount of data transmitted during game updates and allow the team to deliver more patches quickly.

In order to play Star Citizen 3.0, download the new RSI Launcher: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

The installation program will guide you to remove the older CIG Patcher and then perform your initial installation of Star Citizen Alpha 3.0.

NOTE: Once totally installed and patched, Your launcher should display 3.0.0-695051 as the client version.

You can now log in with your regular Login ID and regular password.
Just the same as you would use to log into your account at https://robertsspaceindustries.com.

You can find the full patch notes here:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16348-Star-Citizen-Alpha-300

Please let us know if you need any more assistance!

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 25, 2017, 15:51 jdreyer

Speaking of the PTU, I can't get my email. I've tried 7-8 times, even letting it sit overnight, but no dice. I guess I'll have to open a ticket.  

37. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 25, 2017, 15:49 jdreyer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 16:31:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 13:10:
@TheyAreComingForYou

I'm going to push back that the SQ 42 release is going to generate much extra revenue. They've already sold more than a million preorders. For a niche game on a single platform that's pretty close to max, IMO. Star Citizen isn't Call of Duty.
A lot of people won't touch a game in early access, others wait for the reviews to come out. It's very easy for them to pickup several million more sales. PUBG has sold 20 million copies and right now Star Citizen has just short of two million accounts. For a game that is pushing the boundaries of PC gaming it's not really a stretch to expect at least a few million more sales if it's decent.
This is SQ 42 that we're talking about. It's a single-player experience and campaign. It's not really comparable to PUBG, which is a competitive online arena style shooter. Completely different audience. A better comparison might be Skyrim. It sold 20M copies, but only 15% of those were on PC, so 3M (over six years, including massive discounts). And that's for a series with a 20 year storied history and four previous well-loved instances. I'm sure once SQ42 is finished, they'll sell some, but millions is wildly optimistic.

The way I look at it is that even if everything goes tits up and collapses it was worth a gamble on. And if it pays off then it will be a game I'll be playing for several years if not the next decade. Space sims have always been my favourite genre, from games like Tie Fighter to Starlancer. But I do look at some of the big spenders in the community and question the amount of money they're putting into the game - it seems bizarre to me.

As I've always said, if I get SQ42 out of my $35, I'll be extremely satisfied. This looks like it's coming along nicely, and I have much more confidence in this than I do the PTU, due to the involvement of Erin Roberts and the (somewhat) limited scope. It seems at this point that they're in content creation mode (as opposed to engine and system creation) so that's a good sign. Might be at least another year or two, but the light is at the end of the tunnel.

36. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 25, 2017, 10:33 theyarecomingforyou

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 23:53:
So, TACFY -- are you this optimistic on most/all things, or is SC an exception?
There aren't many games I get excited about. The last games I was really excited about were Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 2, Tribes 2 and the original Bioshock. Games like this don't come along often. That doesn't mean I'm not critical of their flaws and I've been very vocal about the shortcomings of Star Citizen, like selling plots of land.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280GB / 30" Hazro HZ30Wie

35. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 23:53 Mr. Tact

So, TACFY -- are you this optimistic on most/all things, or is SC an exception?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

34. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 16:31 theyarecomingforyou

@TheyAreComingForYou

I'm going to push back that the SQ 42 release is going to generate much extra revenue. They've already sold more than a million preorders. For a niche game on a single platform that's pretty close to max, IMO. Star Citizen isn't Call of Duty.
A lot of people won't touch a game in early access, others wait for the reviews to come out. It's very easy for them to pickup several million more sales. PUBG has sold 20 million copies and right now Star Citizen has just short of two million accounts. For a game that is pushing the boundaries of PC gaming it's not really a stretch to expect at least a few million more sales if it's decent.

Out of curiosity, have you bought anything lately? I'm constantly amazed at people's continued support for this game, but I can't complain if it works out in the end.
I bought tickets for Gamescom back in August and CitizenCon in October but I won an Intel Optane 900P and the bundled Aegis Sabre Raven, so that more than paid for itself. Aside from that I paid $5 to upgrade from the Drake Herald to the Anvil Hawk and $5 on an event exclusive skin. But some of my friends have spent over $8,000 and I've spoken to people who've spent over $40,000.

I'm not interested in spending any more to support the game until there are regular content releases and significant progress. In fact I'd encourage people to hold off spending more until CIG can demonstrate the ability to deliver regular content updates. The 3.0 release was delayed by a year and it's far from a polished experience. There's also no word of when 3.1 will be released, let alone the other promises features.

The way I look at it is that even if everything goes tits up and collapses it was worth a gamble on. And if it pays off then it will be a game I'll be playing for several years if not the next decade. Space sims have always been my favourite genre, from games like Tie Fighter to Starlancer. But I do look at some of the big spenders in the community and question the amount of money they're putting into the game - it seems bizarre to me.

33. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 13:10 jdreyer

@TheyAreComingForYou

Out of curiosity, have you bought anything lately? I'm constantly amazed at people's continued support for this game, but I can't complain if it works out in the end.

32. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 11:50 theyarecomingforyou

Kelpie wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 06:05:
I'm curious. How long do you think they can continue development before they run out of money?
The funding for the game is consistent at around $35m per year, increasing each year. There's also additional income from tax incentives and promotions with companies like Intel and AMD. Expenditure is based around that income, meaning it is completely sustainable. Should funding decrease then CIG will scale back. Whilst Star Citizen may be pushed back quite substantial due to the technical challenges we'll likely see Squadron 42 released in the next three years, which will bring in substantial funding.

There's always the potential for something dramatic to happen to derail the project but for now it can continue indefinitely. If progress remains slow over the next couple of years then we will likely see funding reduce and CIG change its approach.

Progress this year has been slower than expected. With 3 studios and almost 400 staff their overheads will be pretty high (millions per month). There's no way that the current pledge take is enough to offset these costs.
Progress has been slow due to the integration of planetary tech, new networking code, the delta patcher and Item 2.0, which changes the way that all items within the game are handled. You're right that development has been extremely slow but CIG has pledged to change from a content-based release schedule to a periodic release, meaning that any features not ready will simply be pushed back to later releases. Whether that amounts to anything is anyone's guess, as they've made a similar claim before with the promise of monthly patches (which was always unrealistic).

The recent Coutts loan (an advance on their UK tax credits) would seem to indicate they're already struggling.
There's no financial difficulty. The loan is just to release the UK tax rebate early rather than transferring money between currencies. You have to bear in mind that Foundry 42, the UK studio based in Wilmslow, is by far the largest studio yet most of the funding is gathered in dollars and euros rather than pounds. The advance allows CIG to avoid costly currency transfers. As I pointed out, the game is generating around $35m a year and that's without other promotions and tax incentivew which CIG doesn't disclose. There was a statement released by CIG's lawyer to address speculation about financial difficulty.

31. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 09:47 Armengar

you can also offset interest on tax payments thus using your capital as an investment vehicle.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

30. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 08:49 Mr. Tact

The recent Coutts loan (an advance on their UK tax credits) would seem to indicate they're already struggling.
Not necessarily. As I have expressed here before, businesses do non-intuitive finance dealings sometimes. I remember reading an article years ago about how GE was getting a loan. What were they getting the loan for? They were going to use it to pay their employee payroll. At the time GE was one of the largest most successful companies in the world. So, what the hell was going on?

The idea is, GE has their money tied up in things which they believe the return on investment is significantly better than the cost of the loan. So, they make more money by investing their capital and taking out a loan to pay the payroll.

Now all that said, I have no idea what RSI finances look like...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

29. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 06:05 Kelpie

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 11:42:

Just be advised that the game is still years away from being released and the current build is lacking most of the core gameplay.

I'm curious. How long do you think they can continue development before they run out of money?

Progress this year has been slower than expected. With 3 studios and almost 400 staff their overheads will be pretty high (millions per month). There's no way that the current pledge take is enough to offset these costs.

28. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 03:22 Kosumo

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 11:42:
El Pit wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 11:20:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 10:31:
El Pit wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 10:09:
SQ42 has been released? Sorry, I didn't know. When did this happen?
Your reading comprehension is frankly pathetic. This is about Star Citizen, not Squadron 42. If you're going to troll you need to put a lot more effort in.

Sorry, my bad. So the game Star Citizen has been released and is getting updates? When did they release the final version? Where can I buy and download it? It seems it is not availabe at CIG - can you help me out with some info? Thanks.

Merry Christmas and lots of love to you, too!
Sincerest apologies. I assumed you were being sarcastic - a lot of the comments around here are negative. Squadron 42 and Star Citizen were originally bundled together but are now sold separately. Currently Star Citizen is in alpha testing and this is the latest version of that. Squadron 42 was due to be released several years ago but that has been delayed to increase its scope - for instance, originally it was not going to include the planetary tech see in the recent demo.

You can find out more here, check out Star Citizen's latest presentation here and Squadron 42 here. In order to buy both bundled together you can get a combo pack like this one.

Just be advised that the game is still years away from being released and the current build is lacking most of the core gameplay. There is still a long way to go in terms of optimisations, as the game is going to support Vulkan (a multi-platform competitor to DX12). Currently you can get 60-80fps on a good day but it's typically closer to 30fps, which isn't as enjoyable.

Merry Christmas to you.

You can also spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on space ships/land claims/tanks for this unfinished, still years away from being released, game.

You will probably want too as it will give you a head start to want ever you want to do in the game.

27. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 24, 2017, 03:01 Mordhaus

I might check it out whenever CR runs out of money and sells it to EA or some other huge company to 'finish' before they release it with a ton of stuff missing.

Just like his last game.

26. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 17:32 theyarecomingforyou

Prez wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 16:06:
Sure the graphics look amazing now. But will they still hold up in 10 years when it ships?
Consider that this is how the game looked two years ago and this is how it looks now then absolutely. There has never been an issue with the graphics looking dated and I don't expect that to change. The issue is simply when it will ship.

25. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 17:14 RedEye9

Sure the graphics look amazing now. But will they still hold up in 10 years when it ships?
10 years from now this will be a footnote in the history of gaming.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

24. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 16:57 jdreyer

Crysis still does, and it's 10 years old. We're reaching a point where graphics are generally high enough fidelity that there are no my revolutionary jumps in quality, merely evolutionary.

23. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 16:31 VaranDragon

How many backers will die of old age or other causes before any version of this game ever makes it to beta, let alone release? I predict 50%, at least.  

22. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 16:06 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 15:33 MajorD

No doubt a beautiful game, but due to it's long/continuous development cycle and resulting uninspiring content, I think I'll pass for now.

Hmmm, I wonder which one will come out of Alpha/Beta first; DayZ or Star Citizen.

Still counting...

20. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 All Backers Test Dec 23, 2017, 12:00 RedEye9

Star Citizen thread is now an xmas wishing thread. Merry Quanza to all.  

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo