Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway

The Steam Winter Sale is now underway, offering seasonal discounts until January 4th. Word is: "The Steam Winter Sale has begun, on now through January 4th!* Save big on thousands of games for Windows, Mac and Linux!" They are also offering up to 90% off on Steam hardware. This also marks the kickoff of The Steam Awards 2017, and today's voting category is "Choices Matter." The finalists for this are Dishonored 2, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, The Walking Dead: A New Frontier, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 23, 2017, 20:06 Quinn

Prez wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 08:09:
Why do I keep buying games on these sales?

This question hits me. Don't you already own all games on the market!?

"Friends who already own this game:
Prez"

That's what I see at every game I'm checking. Literally.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 23, 2017, 05:55 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 22:27:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 03:08:
Because he's not a pirate..? Far Harbor is great and easily the best thing BGS has made in years. It's easily worth $15. Nuka-World was alright and worth about $5-7. The rest was just filler, though Automatron did let you make some pretty overpowered companions.

This sounds exciting. I just finished FO4 and thought it was good, better in some ways for Beth (factions, gunplay) but worse in other ways (quest design, dialog). If Far Harbor is better that makes me want to dive back in relatively soon. Was gonna take a break.

Far Harbor has better quest design and writing than anything in FO4. It's like they learned from all their mistakes for that one DLC.

40. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 23, 2017, 02:44 Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 14:20:
By the way: Kudos to Valve (if it is somehow something they did and not just due to a lack of interest in the sale): This is the first Steam sale ever in the history of Steam sales without massive errors, 404s, slowdowns, database hiccups and all that shit that usually goes along with Steam getting hammered.

The only minor issue I had was, when you click on 'specials', and tried to go through the list, it would sometimes not populate the list correctly when clicking on the 'next' (page) button. It turned up a blank page for some reason.

But other than that it was pretty smooth sailing. Maybe a little slower than usual but much, much, much better than previous sales. Maybe it's also the lack of a retarded gimmicky mini game this year. If so please keep the sales game-gimmick-free. It's pretty nice when you can actually use the fucking client in the first place.
Yeah maybe they finally added the servers that the projections said they needed. Or wait... someone wheeled a desk over to server ordering corner.

39. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 22:27 StingingVelvet

Because he's not a pirate..? Far Harbor is great and easily the best thing BGS has made in years. It's easily worth $15. Nuka-World was alright and worth about $5-7. The rest was just filler, though Automatron did let you make some pretty overpowered companions.

This sounds exciting. I just finished FO4 and thought it was good, better in some ways for Beth (factions, gunplay) but worse in other ways (quest design, dialog). If Far Harbor is better that makes me want to dive back in relatively soon. Was gonna take a break.

38. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 21:20 Jerykk

Rigs wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 04:06:
Why would you...all you need is the DLC stuff, which is like in a total of 7 or 8 files. Big files, but just several files. If you're going to go the cdkeys route, why not just hop on TPB and get the dlcs for the base game? It's the same fucking thing. As far as I'm aware, they didn't change anything in the GOTY edition from the base+dlc.

But he still got his key from cdkeys? I get it's not like going to G2A or Kinguin but it's close enough. I mean, my thinking was if you're going to do that (ie. you don't have a moral affliction from doing so) then why not just go all the way. I'm not approving his doing so, just curious...

I'm not sure why you'd equate cdkeys.com with piracy. It's a legitimate website that sells keys, just like Greenmangaming or any other site that sells keys. The keys are neither fake nor stolen. They were just purchased in bulk from countries where games are cheaper.

Unlike cdkeys, G2A and Kinguin are just marketplaces for third-party sellers. They're essentially like eBay for game keys, so there's inherently more risk involved. That said, the vast majority of keys are legally obtained. If they weren't, there would be a ton of revoked keys and those sites would be out of business.

Don't be misled by sensationalist headlines about the "gray market." There's nothing illegal about key reselling. The keys were all generated by their respective developers/publishers and compensation was received. It's nothing like piracy where one person buys a copy of the game and then duplicates it so that thousands of other players can play it for free. It's not even like used sales either, where multiple people can play a game while the developer/publisher only receives compensation from one of said people. Keys can only be activated once so only one person can play per key.

37. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 17:33 Creston

Cutter wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 15:37:
X Home of Light and X Rebirth 4.0 explained

Hmmmm, it does look good. Oh, Egosoft, why did you have to hurt us so.

Thanks for the linkies, Cutter.

36. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 15:37 Cutter

X Home of Light and X Rebirth 4.0 explained

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

35. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 15:37 Cutter

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 14:20:
By the way: Kudos to Valve (if it is somehow something they did and not just due to a lack of interest in the sale): This is the first Steam sale ever in the history of Steam sales without massive errors, 404s, slowdowns, database hiccups and all that shit that usually goes along with Steam getting hammered.

The only minor issue I had was, when you click on 'specials', and tried to go through the list, it would sometimes not populate the list correctly when clicking on the 'next' (page) button. It turned up a blank page for some reason.

But other than that it was pretty smooth sailing. Maybe a little slower than usual but much, much, much better than previous sales. Maybe it's also the lack of a retarded gimmicky mini game this year. If so please keep the sales game-gimmick-free. It's pretty nice when you can actually use the fucking client in the first place.

Is that because of them or because of a general lack of interest? Without flash sales there's no real need to hit Steam anymore. Once you see the sales on day one that's it for the duration so if there's nothing at the price you want you're done with the sale. Personally I just look at my Wishlist and then check them against the key reseller sites - which is where I generally end up buying now.

"If the snow begins to fall and you can't find the fire, let the water wash away your sins." - Hope County Choir

34. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 15:36 Kxmode

Picked up a few on my Wishlist.

The Long Dark
Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition
Planet Coaster Released
Phoning Home
Chroma Squad
Typoman
Riptide GP2 Steam Store and Retail Key

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

33. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 14:21 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 09:11:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 20:15:
Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 19:56:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 19:37:
Well, they got the metrics. It's either that sales are still really good at those prices or... if a couple billion people still have it on their wishlist then Ubi will keep the price high, hoping that impatience will get them as many sales as possible (this, btw, is why it's retarded to wishlist games unless you are a senile old geezer who can't even remember which shit he wants).

The award for the most retarded sale goes to Hitman though. What a bunch of fucks at IO. They learned well how to screw over gamers from their Squeenix overlords.
It has become apparent now that the free holiday pack is lure for a no lube anal intrusion of the highest order.

As much as I enjoyed the free demo, I ain't touching that shit with a 10ft pole simply due to their super-shitty business practices. Merry xmas to you too, assholes.

The PC version is $22 on Amazon, so cheaper, and it's the #723rd best selling PC game on Amazon.

It isn't about metrics. The sales aren't doing well. It's about them prioritizing something other than sales of that product, and I think they're idiots for it. Most likely they're opposed to the FC brand being heavily discounted.
If a company determines that they will sell twice as much if they drop the price from $30 down to $10, they have no incentive to drop it. I wonder how accurate/sophisticated their modelling is.

Edit: also what CJ said.

What I'm telling you is that that's impossible. There is no chance in hell that the game won't sell so much more on a larger discount that it will drive more revenue here than lower.

It's been at this price point, and lower, dozens of times. It's not moving not because people are still chomping it up, but because Ubisoft is being sticky with their franchise rather than caring about sales.

Which, I will maintain, is a bad decision. This isn't GTAV, it's an offshoot in the FC brand.

Yeah, not sure what they're thinking, but to CJ's point, once FC5 comes out, the price will drop.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

32. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 14:20 CJ_Parker

31. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 14:19 jdreyer

Cuz you're the Prez!

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

30. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 11:39 El Pit

Well, it's your hobby, so what is basically wrong about it? What makes me scratch my head is the amount of games that I see you buy - when will you ever play them? Then again, you are supporting even small studios, so... Maybe you are a gamer with not enough spare time but a big heart and wallet? Not the worst guy on earth, right? /hugsPrez

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

29. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 11:10 Fion

There's mods that can partially replace the horrible multiplayer. The game is old enough now that once you finish the main game, there are tuns of mods that add new life. There are mods that add tuns of crazy races all over the map (some even let you create your own). There are mods that add a lot of the online-only missions to single-player. There are mods that add new forms of gameplay, like playing as a cop - or a mod that adds gang hideouts to hit and plunder. There's a mod that sends army jets after you with 5-stars so you can dog-fight them. There's a trucking mod, railroad engineer (or destruction), on and on.

Anyway, TLDR - tuns of mods that extend the single player experience, even adding MP content to single player. Mods are finicky to install and you can usually only have one of the 'big ones' installed at a time, but man I got hundreds of hours out of the game post-story mode because of em. Mostly because Rockstar are assholes about mods.

Hey Undocumented Alien, a single tip: mid-late way into the game while playing as Franklin, if you see a big L on the map, representing a mission from Lester (you'll meet him early in the game), don't do that mission. Wait until you finish the game to start his missions on Franklin. Then look online for how to make mega-bucks with those missions. But of a pain in the ass but also the difference between finishing SP with 2-3 million or 1/2 a billion in cash.

28. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 10:33 Tipsy McStagger

Ah the age old question.. remember when you were young and couldn't afford to buy the games you wanted but had all the time to play them...

Now we're all old, have money but no time to play!!!

THE CURSE OF THE GAMER!!!

27. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 09:54 fiftykyu

Somehow that question takes all the fun out of Steam sales...

My Steam library is already full enough for several lifetimes, but every big sale I shovel a bunch of crap in the cart, just out of habit at this point I suppose.

Just checked my wishlist in this sale and there are some tempting deals, but if I actually wanted to play any of them, they'd be in my account already. Like Gary Grigsby's War in the East for example. Nice discount, and I'd be happy to see it in the library, but it would just sit there accumulating virtual dust, forever.

Oh, just remembered I did actually play one recently. Anyone who likes the Gone Home style of exploring and thinking about stuff games, Tacoma is a good one. There's no replay value to speak of, and it feels like the sort of game that will end up in a Humble Bundle eventually, but you could do a lot worse for ten bucks.

26. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 09:26 Creston

... You're Prez! What else are you gonna do?

25. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 09:11 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 20:15:
Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 19:56:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 19:37:
Well, they got the metrics. It's either that sales are still really good at those prices or... if a couple billion people still have it on their wishlist then Ubi will keep the price high, hoping that impatience will get them as many sales as possible (this, btw, is why it's retarded to wishlist games unless you are a senile old geezer who can't even remember which shit he wants).

The award for the most retarded sale goes to Hitman though. What a bunch of fucks at IO. They learned well how to screw over gamers from their Squeenix overlords.
It has become apparent now that the free holiday pack is lure for a no lube anal intrusion of the highest order.

As much as I enjoyed the free demo, I ain't touching that shit with a 10ft pole simply due to their super-shitty business practices. Merry xmas to you too, assholes.

The PC version is $22 on Amazon, so cheaper, and it's the #723rd best selling PC game on Amazon.

It isn't about metrics. The sales aren't doing well. It's about them prioritizing something other than sales of that product, and I think they're idiots for it. Most likely they're opposed to the FC brand being heavily discounted.
If a company determines that they will sell twice as much if they drop the price from $30 down to $10, they have no incentive to drop it. I wonder how accurate/sophisticated their modelling is.

Edit: also what CJ said.

What I'm telling you is that that's impossible. There is no chance in hell that the game won't sell so much more on a larger discount that it will drive more revenue here than lower.

It's been at this price point, and lower, dozens of times. It's not moving not because people are still chomping it up, but because Ubisoft is being sticky with their franchise rather than caring about sales.

Which, I will maintain, is a bad decision. This isn't GTAV, it's an offshoot in the FC brand.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 08:09 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 05:22 Muscular Beaver

Undocumented Alien wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 20:08:
Perfect timing, was looking for a new game!

Grabbed me GTA 5 at $23.99, looks like it has good reviews, look forward to the single player campaign (not much interest in the Online part). Had a lot of fun with GTA 4 many moons ago.
Its a really good game. IMO the best GTA ever, and the first one to really interest me till the end.
And, I say this quite rarely, the devs actually deserve that money. You can see how much work this game was, how much detail they put in and how much freedom the designers had.
The only drawback is the massive amount of cheaters online and that they dont use that money to add better anti-cheat.

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo