Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Interviews

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 23, 2017, 17:46 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 21:12:
Whatever future space game is out there will have to deal with the same limitations and issues that Egosoft has to deal with in balancing fun gameplay with 'realism' and the strain of simulating a living universe. I'm not placing bets on anyone until I see something concrete.

Well I will never disagree with you on that, see it, play it, and then judge it. But Egosoft doesn't exactly have a good track record with releases, everything they ever released was a total mess on day 1

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 23, 2017, 10:38 Slashman

yuastnav wrote on Dec 23, 2017, 08:25:
I am just looking forward to a new X-Game. I am willing to give them a chance with X4. I hope it will be good.

Yeah. For sure I'm not pre-ordering, but a day 1 buy is not out of the question if things look to be solid on launch day.

Every time they reveal something about X4, I see it heading more and more in the direction that Rebirth should have gone in from the start. That's promising to me and I'll support them if they pull it off.

9. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 23, 2017, 08:25 yuastnav

I am just looking forward to a new X-Game. I am willing to give them a chance with X4. I hope it will be good.  

8. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 21:12 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 13:12:
Nah, I don't care about plot in X games certainly would never expect much of it, I care about the general setting (races, technology, political landscape) and general design though, especially after having watched shows like The Expanse

X4 looks to be a lazy addon to Rebirth, and Egosoft will NEVER get any of my money ever again after the Rebirth refund scam they pulled on people who bought directly. It will be a 2 hour test play on Steam of course, but if I had to name the game I am waiting for it would be Anno 1800 and most certainly not X4, and what the bearded birds are singing from the roofs, expect a new space sandbox to be announced sometime soonish that will blow your mind in ways X4 will never be able to It starts with an H....

Either way, I think you would be surprised how many people actually do care about setting of a space game even if that space game is a sandbox.... if they didn't they would play Minecraft.... and while I don't want a space opera from Egosoft (They could never do that) I certainly want a cohesive and believable fake universe to play and build in...

The reason The Expanse is interesting is the characters and story. The 'real' space setting is just window dressing for the great story and characters. You cannot do realistic and fun in games easily and as many faults as Egosoft has, I don't see what benefit would be derived from carefully constructing a wholly believable space setting and all the downsides that would have.

Do you know how many fucking people play Minecraft? Space games are fun for being space games and sandboxes are fun for sandbox game play. Where those two things cross over, people who like both are going to play.

Whatever future space game is out there will have to deal with the same limitations and issues that Egosoft has to deal with in balancing fun gameplay with 'realism' and the strain of simulating a living universe. I'm not placing bets on anyone until I see something concrete.

7. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 13:12 eRe4s3r

Slashman wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 11:48:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 10:53:
Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 09:15:
Still need to hear lot of good word of mouth, though. Rebirth burned me badly (especially since I bought it directly from them because I wanted to support them, so couldn't get a Steam refund...) What a fucking kick in the teeth that game was.

Exactly aside from the Rebirth disaster and the refund issue (And no, 4.0 is not in any way a better game than the release version), the far bigger problem is that the entire setting makes zero sense from a sci-fi point of view.

See -> Interstellar Empires (Youtube)

And the older I get the more I am appalled how lazily this setting was written. You could do better and maybe not have FTL... as that would condense your entire story to a solar system with a few billion hugely diverse dyson swarm habitats.. but no...

I think I see your issue. You want to play the X games for something aside from the huge sandbox they offer.

Let me break it down for you.

X games have low quality story telling, shallow characters and forgettable plots. No one gives a shit.

X games have a huge variety of ships to fly, stations to build, missions to do, stuff to discover, great sandbox gameplay and are very moddable. People give a shit about that.

Nah, I don't care about plot in X games certainly would never expect much of it, I care about the general setting (races, technology, political landscape) and general design though, especially after having watched shows like The Expanse

X4 looks to be a lazy addon to Rebirth, and Egosoft will NEVER get any of my money ever again after the Rebirth refund scam they pulled on people who bought directly. It will be a 2 hour test play on Steam of course, but if I had to name the game I am waiting for it would be Anno 1800 and most certainly not X4, and what the bearded birds are singing from the roofs, expect a new space sandbox to be announced sometime soonish that will blow your mind in ways X4 will never be able to It starts with an H....

Either way, I think you would be surprised how many people actually do care about setting of a space game even if that space game is a sandbox.... if they didn't they would play Minecraft.... and while I don't want a space opera from Egosoft (They could never do that) I certainly want a cohesive and believable fake universe to play and build in...

6. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 11:48 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 10:53:
Still need to hear lot of good word of mouth, though. Rebirth burned me badly (especially since I bought it directly from them because I wanted to support them, so couldn't get a Steam refund...) What a fucking kick in the teeth that game was.

Exactly aside from the Rebirth disaster and the refund issue (And no, 4.0 is not in any way a better game than the release version), the far bigger problem is that the entire setting makes zero sense from a sci-fi point of view.

And the older I get the more I am appalled how lazily this setting was written. You could do better and maybe not have FTL... as that would condense your entire story to a solar system with a few billion hugely diverse dyson swarm habitats.. but no...

I think I see your issue. You want to play the X games for something aside from the huge sandbox they offer.

Let me break it down for you.

X games have low quality story telling, shallow characters and forgettable plots. No one gives a shit.

X games have a huge variety of ships to fly, stations to build, missions to do, stuff to discover, great sandbox gameplay and are very moddable. People give a shit about that.

5. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 10:53 eRe4s3r

4. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 09:15 Creston

Slashman wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 07:04:
There are a lot of graphical placeholders and placeholder textures there for demo purposes. That was mentioned in the first livestream. I don't think they are going to go backwards in terms of graphics in the final product.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

If reviews are good, I'll buy it day one. Hell even if the graphics drop down a bit and they can deliver on the gameplay side of things, I'll still buy it. There are graphics modders all over the place.

Well yeah, the gameplay of X massively trumps its graphics, but even so, seeing graphics from 10+ years ago made me wince.

3. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 07:04 Slashman

There are a lot of graphical placeholders and placeholder textures there for demo purposes. That was mentioned in the first livestream. I don't think they are going to go backwards in terms of graphics in the final product.

If reviews are good, I'll buy it day one. Hell even if the graphics drop down a bit and they can deliver on the gameplay side of things, I'll still buy it. There are graphics modders all over the place.

2. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 00:01 Creston

Ditto. But they literally burned all goodwill from me with Afterbirth, so if they want me to bite, it better be mindblowingly awesome.

I briefly skimmed through that video, and ugh. Graphically it just looks terrible. It literally looks like X3 did when it came out over TEN YEARS AGO.

The one thing Rebirth did well was graphics, and making sectors look interesting. Apparently they've gone back to the boring empty sectors with just a shitty planet texture as a background.

1. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 21, 2017, 20:30 Cutter

Really hope X4 is good.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo