Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Interviews

8. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 22, 2017, 21:12 Slashman
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 13:12:
Nah, I don't care about plot in X games certainly would never expect much of it, I care about the general setting (races, technology, political landscape) and general design though, especially after having watched shows like The Expanse

X4 looks to be a lazy addon to Rebirth, and Egosoft will NEVER get any of my money ever again after the Rebirth refund scam they pulled on people who bought directly. It will be a 2 hour test play on Steam of course, but if I had to name the game I am waiting for it would be Anno 1800 and most certainly not X4, and what the bearded birds are singing from the roofs, expect a new space sandbox to be announced sometime soonish that will blow your mind in ways X4 will never be able to It starts with an H....

Either way, I think you would be surprised how many people actually do care about setting of a space game even if that space game is a sandbox.... if they didn't they would play Minecraft.... and while I don't want a space opera from Egosoft (They could never do that) I certainly want a cohesive and believable fake universe to play and build in...

The reason The Expanse is interesting is the characters and story. The 'real' space setting is just window dressing for the great story and characters. You cannot do realistic and fun in games easily and as many faults as Egosoft has, I don't see what benefit would be derived from carefully constructing a wholly believable space setting and all the downsides that would have.

Do you know how many fucking people play Minecraft? Space games are fun for being space games and sandboxes are fun for sandbox game play. Where those two things cross over, people who like both are going to play.

Whatever future space game is out there will have to deal with the same limitations and issues that Egosoft has to deal with in balancing fun gameplay with 'realism' and the strain of simulating a living universe. I'm not placing bets on anyone until I see something concrete.
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
    Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 21, 20:30 Re: Evening Interviews Cutter
  2. Dec 22, 00:01  Re: Evening Interviews Creston
  3. Dec 22, 07:04   Re: Evening Interviews Slashman
  4. Dec 22, 09:15    Re: Evening Interviews Creston
  5. Dec 22, 10:53     Re: Evening Interviews eRe4s3r
  6. Dec 22, 11:48      Re: Evening Interviews Slashman
  7. Dec 22, 13:12       Re: Evening Interviews eRe4s3r
>> 8. Dec 22, 21:12        Re: Evening Interviews Slashman
  11. Dec 23, 17:46         Re: Evening Interviews eRe4s3r
  9. Dec 23, 08:25 Re: Evening Interviews yuastnav