Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 16:33 MajorD

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 13:18:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 05:34:
Creston wrote on Dec 22, 2017, 00:06:
Yeah, but by slowing down your phone, their salesmen tech support guys can tell you your phone is dying and convince you to upgrade.

Funny enough, none of them EVER mention that a new battery would make that phone feel like new. Each and every one of them goes for the "You can get a 8 for just 800 bucks!"

Fuck Apple.

Cuz those batteries are now glued in place in cases that are glued in place. Changing them is nearly impossible, and surely violates the TOS. So convenient, for Apple (and Samsung).

Yeah that is what I thought, not sure what Simon is going on about, probably an Android phone, but this is specifically a Apple related issue that is being discussed.

If Apple was so noble, they would tell you that, due to the current state of your battery we are now running your system at a reduced rate and list aprox what that is. Right?

Everything Apple does is very carefully/shrewdly calculated clearly in their favor.

Still counting...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 13:18 HorrorScope

Yeah, but by slowing down your phone, their salesmen tech support guys can tell you your phone is dying and convince you to upgrade.

Funny enough, none of them EVER mention that a new battery would make that phone feel like new. Each and every one of them goes for the "You can get a 8 for just 800 bucks!"

Fuck Apple.

Cuz those batteries are now glued in place in cases that are glued in place. Changing them is nearly impossible, and surely violates the TOS. So convenient, for Apple (and Samsung).

Yeah that is what I thought, not sure what Simon is going on about, probably an Android phone, but this is specifically a Apple related issue that is being discussed.

If Apple was so noble, they would tell you that, due to the current state of your battery we are now running your system at a reduced rate and list aprox what that is. Right?

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 10:46 BIGtrouble77

I personally would like to be notified by the OS if my phone's battery is compromised, but the safety/stability tradeoff to performance is a no-brainer. Apple made the right move, but fucked it up my not notifying the user their device is operating in a compromised state.  

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 06:51 Scottish Martial Arts

Fuck Apple.

Itís basically impossible for an end user to do the replacement but itís not impossible for a technician to do it, and in fact battery replacement is a service Apple offers. But point taken and I fully agree that Apples decisions are far too frequently anti consumer in their effect.

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 05:34 jdreyer

Fuck Apple.

Stay a while, and listen.

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 00:06 Creston

Fuck Apple.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 21, 2017, 23:18 Simon Says

theglaze wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 23:03:
Simon Says wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 21:24:
Charging from 0 to 100 will cut the battery capacity in about half after only 125 charges. A few months at once per day and your battery is fucked.

From 10 to 100 will yield 250 charges.

From 20 to 100 will yield 500 charges.

20 to 80 will yield 2500 charges, now we're talking.

Thanks for the post; interesting points.

Do you have sources for that?

With battery technology changing so rapidly, and the finer nuances of each design probably dramatic from one manufacturers to the next, your points may only serve as a good rule of thumb.

Can't find it right now, it was passed around a couple years ago and appeared on reputable science sites.

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 21, 2017, 23:03 theglaze

Simon Says wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 21:24:
Charging from 0 to 100 will cut the battery capacity in about half after only 125 charges. A few months at once per day and your battery is fucked.

Thanks for the post; interesting points.

Do you have sources for that?

With battery technology changing so rapidly, and the finer nuances of each design probably dramatic from one manufacturers to the next, your points may only serve as a good rule of thumb.

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 21, 2017, 21:24 Simon Says

You can avoid this problem entirely if you plan ahead. Each of the phones I had either had an expanded battery replacing the stock one, or a protective case with a battery included in it for phones without user replaceable batteries.

Expanded battery is simple, no behavior changes necessary, you can "burn away", since you can replace later anyway.

Cases are another thing and needs a change in behaviors to get the most out of it and really keep the non-user replaceable battery in your pricey toy in tip top shape.

Basically , Li-Po will last you the longer if you keep your battery from going too far up or down from 50% ( shelving long term is another thing ).

But one can hardly always keep it inside 20 and 80, so what's the next best thing? Case battery with charges when needed on the go.

I don't let mine drop any lower than 20 with charge left in the case. I can get it from 33 to 66 about 4 times with a single case charge, this adds "133%" to the battery making it a "233%" for splendid endurance for each charge but also wear-wise. When the case battery is empty, I plug the phone with the case still on it, they both charge to 100% from never below than 20%. I do this, depending on usage, from once per 2 days in really heavy duty situations to once per as long as 11 days and about a week being the average.

Results? Integrated battery AND case battery lasts years before seeing even the most subtle degradation.

TL&DR People don't know how to properly manage a Lithium ion based battery and kill it, but when managed properly they can last years and years without any noticeable drop in perf.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 21, 2017, 19:18 RedEye9

Without reading the article, iOS could notify you that it was entering 'battery saver' mode and performance may suffer. Apple could have claimed it was their invention, even though android had that feature in 2012.

I note a difference with my nexus 7 running 6.0 but when battery saver kicks in on my 2017 Fire running Amazons 5.? it's barely noticeable. ymmv

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo