Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies

Ubisoft has revived their Watch_Dogs giveaway for those who missed out on their chance to get the open-world action game for free last month. The free offer runs until December 23rd, sitting alongside their previously announced Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag giveaway and World in Conflict giveaway. Taking advantage of any or all of these offers will require a Uplay account.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 22, 2017, 13:37 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 21:56:
but come on you're just being ridiculous.

Of course I am We are going far off tangent and this is a fun thing to talk about.

Ps.: I played Dishonored 1 and 2 and Deus EX MD/HR 100% non lethal. I also played each game 100% lethal (killing everyone, not just the target) and found 1) the latter is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun and 2) It's also way easier

Fair enough, you can path a fun 100% stealth non lethal run in Dishonored 2 too.... but only if you employ speed-running tech, with "normal" gameplay it takes forever and is no fun. in WD2 you can not play 100% non-lethal. Literally, you can't. Due to how mission stats work when you fail, running over 1 dog counts as kill forever and many a knocked down guard can STILL die later in the mission due to scripted things (cars coming in, particularly). Something Deus EX doesn't do for example...

I simply think that a game about domestic terrorism shouldn't be this utterly tone deaf about it! Especially not in this day and age.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 21:56 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 21:06:
NKD wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 19:41:
We played the same game?

Apparently not. My game had a stun gun, a stun sniper rifle, and even a stun grenade launcher. There's a paintball gun for non-lethal knockouts as well, but I didn't try it. There is also a perk you can get to increase the range on these, and upgrade these things to knock out heavy armor guys in one shot. The infinite ammo for these weapons and the one-shot knockouts makes non-lethal a lot easier than lethal, particularly on the hard difficulties where the enemies are bullet sponges but still go down to one dart.

Dogs are susceptible to tasers, and neither dogs nor cameras alert people to bodies/unconscious people. Also I believe the non-lethal environmental hazards outnumber the lethal ones rather significantly. The electrical boxes are every 5 inches it seems.

That all is true, but it doesn't change the fact that stealth is janky as hell and a non lethal playthrough of WD2 is impossible Accidents happen so easily in this game that I don't believe for 1 nano-second you played through this without YOUR Marcus being a mass murdering terrorist. If you managed that you should have recorded it, you would be the first.

Also I would be really curious if you really say that you never used the "call police" feature, or the explode a grenade feature or exploded cards in traffic/caused traffic to crash into concrete barriers And if you say yes here, then just admit that lethal makes the game many times easier and faster and also more fun. And that's the problem, the fun way to play this game doesn't jibe with this games "tone" at all.

Well sure, you might accidentally run some people over because of the shit AI that causes them to jump in front of your car, or the AI ramming you into a sidewalk, or you might cause a car accident, but you're getting into extreme nitpick territory here to defend your point. You absolutely can play WD2 without intentionally causing anyones death. You can even play it with very minimal non-lethal takedowns by stealthing and if that fails, running away if things go sideways. Shit you can complete 90% of the missions just sitting outside in your car with the Drone/Jumper without ever being detected.

For the "Call Police" function, if you use that on Umeni Security, they will go peacefully. It's great for the missions where you're in an office building but can't do what you need to do with a Drone. But you're right, if you send the cops into a gang hideout, they aren't going to surrender and it's gonna be a bloodbath. So don't do that.

For car pursuits, simply go offroad and the dumb AI drivers will lose track of you much more quickly than using the traffic hacks. If you choose to drive on the sidewalk 24/7 and use only the MG and the Grenade Launcher, that's your choice. For me, a non-lethal playthrough was very enjoyable, if a bit on the easy side. No, I can't guarantee I never ran over a dog or caused a bad car accident, but come on you're just being ridiculous.

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

13. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 21:06 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 19:41:
We played the same game?

Apparently not. My game had a stun gun, a stun sniper rifle, and even a stun grenade launcher. There's a paintball gun for non-lethal knockouts as well, but I didn't try it. There is also a perk you can get to increase the range on these, and upgrade these things to knock out heavy armor guys in one shot. The infinite ammo for these weapons and the one-shot knockouts makes non-lethal a lot easier than lethal, particularly on the hard difficulties where the enemies are bullet sponges but still go down to one dart.

Dogs are susceptible to tasers, and neither dogs nor cameras alert people to bodies/unconscious people. Also I believe the non-lethal environmental hazards outnumber the lethal ones rather significantly. The electrical boxes are every 5 inches it seems.

That all is true, but it doesn't change the fact that stealth is janky as hell and a non lethal playthrough of WD2 is impossible Accidents happen so easily in this game that I don't believe for 1 nano-second you played through this without YOUR Marcus being a mass murdering terrorist. If you managed that you should have recorded it, you would be the first.

Also I would be really curious if you really say that you never used the "call police" feature, or the explode a grenade feature or exploded cards in traffic/caused traffic to crash into concrete barriers And if you say yes here, then just admit that lethal makes the game many times easier and faster and also more fun. And that's the problem, the fun way to play this game doesn't jibe with this games "tone" at all.

12. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 19:41 NKD

We played the same game?

11. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 19:02 eRe4s3r

NKD wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 16:36:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 08:51:
Maybe the 3rd game will not have us play a mass murdering terrorist nobody in any way sane can ever connect to. Wouldn't that be something....

;p

Of course, I dunno if that was intentional by Ubisoft to basically sabotage their entire plot this way in WD2, or if that was an accident.. But when behavior analysis flags him as a terrorist, then he becomes one after discovering this.... just.. wow. Tone deaf doesn't even begin to describe this plot..

At least in WD1, we played a genuine asshole, can get behind that. But in WD2 we play a terrorist, and I can't get behind that. Must be me

I've seen this criticism here before, but it doesn't make much sense. Yeah, Ubisoft The Game allows you to kill your enemies because it's a sandbox game, but you aren't forced to. I don't think there's a single person you have to kill in the game. If you're playing real stealthy, the number of people you even have to takedown at all, even with a taser, is pretty minimal. And canonically, Marcus isn't a killer.

Even if the crime prediction algorithm was able to predict Marcus' anarchist tendencies, does its accuracy make it ethical? And it's not even that accurate: Remember that Marcus got convicted of a crime he didn't commit based on that profile, before he even started looking into ctOS.

Also you're missing the dozens of other types of abuses of technology in the game, and how easily corruptable the system is. Even if it was 100% right about Marcus, which it wasn't, it still wouldn't be a vindication of the system.

We played the same game? The games non lethal option was completely borked and gimped, you get 5 non-lethal "tools" and 70+ lethal ones + over a dozen lethal take down options through hacking, and non lethal is even countered by enemies, dogs and cameras in particular as you could never predict where a body will end up, in late game. Many missions locked you out of robotic and drone use (looking at you, god awful church level) and the taser range was abysmally bad, add to that that network towers were often in militarized camps and you can't tell me that Marcus wasn't a mass murdering terrorist in your game, if not in levels, then because of your driving afterwards and side-missions in particular

And if you want to argue semantics, DeadSec does exactly the same thing they are claiming big brother is doing. Only THEY kill people by the boatload.

in WD1 the main char acknowledged the hypocrisy, didn't have to agree with it personally, but the character knew he was an asshole, in WD2 Marcus seriously believed he was fighting for the "good", standard sign of the insane..... and terrorists. And the entire tone of the game matched ZERO what was actually going on in missions ~.~

And well, honest trailer puts it nicely -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c2iQJM-FNc

Ps.: I could also not find a completed playthrough of WD2 non-lethal.. WD1 surprisingly has it, though requires glitch use.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 19:15.

10. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 18:07 ItBurn

NKD wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 16:36:
Maybe the 3rd game will not have us play a mass murdering terrorist nobody in any way sane can ever connect to. Wouldn't that be something....

;p

Of course, I dunno if that was intentional by Ubisoft to basically sabotage their entire plot this way in WD2, or if that was an accident.. But when behavior analysis flags him as a terrorist, then he becomes one after discovering this.... just.. wow. Tone deaf doesn't even begin to describe this plot..

At least in WD1, we played a genuine asshole, can get behind that. But in WD2 we play a terrorist, and I can't get behind that. Must be me

I've seen this criticism here before, but it doesn't make much sense. Yeah, Ubisoft The Game allows you to kill your enemies because it's a sandbox game, but you aren't forced to. I don't think there's a single person you have to kill in the game. If you're playing real stealthy, the number of people you even have to takedown at all, even with a taser, is pretty minimal. And canonically, Marcus isn't a killer.

Even if the crime prediction algorithm was able to predict Marcus' anarchist tendencies, does its accuracy make it ethical? And it's not even that accurate: Remember that Marcus got convicted of a crime he didn't commit based on that profile, before he even started looking into ctOS.

Also you're missing the dozens of other types of abuses of technology in the game, and how easily corruptable the system is. Even if it was 100% right about Marcus, which it wasn't, it still wouldn't be a vindication of the system.

The stealth/non-lethal is terrible in WD2. You can't move bodies, and when you knock someone out, they have these lengthy death animations/ragdolls and you can't predict where the body is going to end up. You can do everything perfect and the game will decide to place the body in view of other npcs and there's nothing you can do. Also, you're forced to physically go activate some things. Sometimes, you can't even use the remote controlled robots. Why??? It was awesome in WD1 when you could stand outside and never move an inch to complete the whole mission.

9. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 16:36 NKD

;p

8. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 10:48 Funluvncriminl

I personally loved the dark rainy Chicago setting in WD1. And the multiplayer has a good adrenaline kick. I agree with everyone else about wd2, all the killing just didnt fit the character but the san fran setting sure was pretty.O if any of you like Wd1 but havent played the Bad blodd dlc,its really good-great ending  

7. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 10:03 aka_STEVE

Yep, WatchDogs 2 just went so far off center from before , I just can't get into the 'hero' I am supposed to be playing.
I hope they turn it back around.

6. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 08:51 eRe4s3r

;p

5. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 07:32 Muscular Beaver

I never understood why they didnt expand on WiC. It was successful, it was popular, it was simply good, one of the best RTS ever made.  

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

4. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 01:52 NKD

I actually liked the WD2 story alright. The ctOS and Blume, and the abuses of tech took center stage much more than in the first game. But I did get a little whiplash from the change in tone. It is a much, much lighter game than the first.

I felt that the DEDSEC people were about what you'd expect. Weirdo meme-lords with encyclopedic knowledge of geekdom. But I think it will get old fast if they stick with it, rather than changing things up and offering a variety. We've had Aiden "The Punisher" Pearce, and Marcus "Nerd Supreme" Holloway and his gang of dorks.

Rumor is the next game is going to be set in London, so I imagine the tone will change again. The developers have said that they want to match the tone of the game to the city it is set in. I can't imagine a London set game being as light-hearted as a game set in San Francisco, but it might not be as dark as Chicago either.

I wasn't a huge fan of Aiden Pearce, but after replaying the game I feel like he's not a lost cause as a protagonist and could be interesting to return to some day.

3. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 19, 2017, 23:04 Rhett

Huh, cool that it's still alive. I actually really liked WD1. Besides gameplay improvements, WD2 is just a massive cringefest though.

WoC, AC4 and WD1 for free, if you haven't played them... that's quite a steal!

2. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 19, 2017, 21:48 NKD

I was replaying WD1 recently after I finished WD2, and surprisingly, the multiplayer modes were still popping quite fast. There must still be some people playing.  

1. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 19, 2017, 19:49 Retired

Had so much fun doing invasions in WD when it first came out. Some hilarious moments hiding from people.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo