Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Hanukkah ends tomorrow and it's less than a week before Christmas. This has me thinking it's time for me to stop thinking of 2017 as being the "new" year. That will probably help avoid confusion when 2018 rolls around in under two weeks. Where does the time go?

Timely Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Poppit.
Link: Whatever you do, don't watch 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' in 3D.
Stories: 'The Office' Revival in the Works at NBC.
Trump judicial nominee Matthew Petersen pulls out after struggling to answer basic questions.
Why Teens Find The End Of The World So Appealing. Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Former Pentagon UFO official: 'We may not be alone'.
Flu shot safe for people with egg allergies, guidelines say.
FDA takes more aggressive stance toward homeopathic drugs.
Media: Mom Eats Elf Poop.
Plumbus X.
The Philosophy of Archer Ė Wisecrack Edition.
Follow-up: Interstellar object may hold 'alien' water. The next big thing after coconut water.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

57. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2017, 05:07 Kxmode

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 14:04:
Given your spiritual leanings, it will be interesting to see what you make of the ending of Horizon kxmode

Will do

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 14:04 Verno

Given your spiritual leanings, it will be interesting to see what you make of the ending of Horizon kxmode  
Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

55. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 13:59 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 07:29:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 00:18:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 16:42:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 16:36:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 15:51:
The house passed the rich people bailout.
obligatory

Jesus, Saves!

Rebound to Gretzky, he fakes, Jesus flops to the corner, Gretzky lifts it up, GRETZKY SCORES!

ALL HAIL GRETZKY! GRETZKY 1, JESUS 0!

Unlike hockey players, Jesus could walk on liquid water. GRETZKY 1, JESUS 1! ... in a thunderstorm. GRETZKY 1, JESUS 2! ... and control the weather. GRETZKY 1, JESUS 3! *drops mic*

What kind of psychopath plays hockey in a thunderstorm...

Wait, did you just say Jesus is Storm from the XMEN? Jesus is Halle Berry!?

Yes, Jesus is Halle Berry and a Xmen.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 ó Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

54. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 13:36 RedEye9

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 08:02:
obligatory
In a push to show that the most hated president to ever set foot in office can do "things" besides playing golf and filing bankruptcy, the senate passed the 'make the rich even richer' tax break.
Congress Passes $1.5 Trillion Tax Cut Bill, but don't worry, we will still fund our involvement in 5+ wars and just recoup the savings by defunding veteran health care.

unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality
https://www.lawfareblog.com/topic/russia-connection
The gameís afoot.

53. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 12:56 Verno

Missed this earlier due to the political stuff:

I'm addicted to Horizon Zero Dawn. I have no words to describe how amazing it is. Concurrently, I feel more comfortable with a PS4 controller; never thought I'd see that. Plus the PS4 has so many exclusive past, present, and future. Overall the PS4 PRO is great. If you had any inkling to buy one, get it. It's worth it, especially if you have a 4K screen.

Glad you're enjoying it kxmode, I felt the same way. The story gets much better towards the end and I liked their approach to sidequests, felt more like The Witcher 3. BOTW was so good that I think this game got overlooked by many.

I feel the same way about the PS4. Xbox as a platform has nothing to offer me but the Nintendo and Sony exclusives are fantastic. I will always love PC gaming but I can't imagine not having those fantastic experiences on the console side of things.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 12:41 RedEye9

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 12:12:
If something is serious enough, of course people should be willing to acknowledge it and take action. Roy Moore was a piece of shit, it really goes without saying and if I was able to affect that situation I would've. It will certainly weigh heavily in my mind when it comes time to vote again and I've already expressed my disgust about it.
And even then he almost won, unfuckingbelievable.
That being said, Republicans of all leanings are the only ones who voted for this piece of shit. So you do the math.
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 11:46:
Most of the people in Alabama who voted for Roy Moore did not do it because they thought he was a good guy or thought all the women were lying. They were voting for him because he is a God fearing, abortion hating, Republican.
You forgot hypocrite.
Roy Moore hasnít conceded and is still fundraising a week after the election that he lost. The Republican continues to have trouble acknowledging when things happen.

The gameís afoot.

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 12:12 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 11:46:
Actually, this is part of the problem. People get this idea in their heads that they are going to vote based on the one or two issues which are important to them. After all, the candidates are supposed to represent them, right?

If something is serious enough, of course people should be willing to acknowledge it and take action. Roy Moore was a piece of shit, it really goes without saying and if I was able to affect that situation I would've. It will certainly weigh heavily in my mind when it comes time to vote again and I've already expressed my disgust about it.

That said, I'm not going to just knee jerk react to every single thing on CNN or Fox News either. There is no such thing as a perfect political platform or candidate. I don't think people are necessarily doing anything wrong by voting for their own common values or morals, it's just unfortunate when they put them before things that arguably should take precedence. I'm not sure how you change that though, that's just the nature of a democracy.

Yeeeah, although, I'm sorry for being insulting but bullshit is bullshit and this is bullshit. I said what I meant, but it was you who cut the quote mid-sentence to alter the context and make it seem more insulting than it was.

The added sentence just further affirms that you included moderates so I don't think that really makes your comment more acceptable (IMO) but fair is fair so ok, I edited my response to include it.

And I do genuinely appreciate the apology for what its worth.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:52 Quboid

You're right Verno, I'm not helping. Sorry to you and other moderate conservatives, and to everyone wanting sensible discussion. There's a point I could have made but I chose to vent instead.

Beamer wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 11:18:
Moderates in America have become overwhelmingly non-moderate.

The country, as a whole, has slid kind of further right, but our population has never fit so neatly into categories as both sides move from moderate to party lines.

I'm glad I'm not that foolish. I'm just frustrated by those who are... Thinking2

Edit:
Yeeeah, although, I'm sorry for being insulting but bullshit is bullshit and this is bullshit:

Yeah well, that's not what you said and frankly I think you said exactly what you really meant.
I said what I meant, but it was you who cut the quote mid-sentence to alter the context and make it seem more insulting than it was.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 12:05.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:47 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 11:08:
Republicans struggle "to rebut the judgments of economists and fiscal analysts who rejected their claims about the billís distributional effects and its likely impact on the federal budget.
Analysts with the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation found that the bill would saddle the nation with $1 trillion in additional debt and generate little economic growth, and that most of its benefits would go to corporations and the wealthy
."

OMG, 1 trillion in debt!!! How did that happen? We'll need to cut spending stat! Hmm, can't cut the military because America, Fuck Yeah. Welp, I guess we'll just have to cut Medicare, Medicaid, CDC, NASA, etc. etc. Sorry poor people! Sorry sick people! Sorry science people! America just can't afford you. I'm sure charities will step in and fill the gap.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:46 Mr. Tact

Verno wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 09:18:
People don't have to agree with the entire Republican platform to vote that way, the same way I didn't have to agree with the whole Democratic platform when I voted for Bill.
Actually, this is part of the problem. Most of the people in Alabama who voted for Roy Moore did not do it because they thought he was a good guy or thought all the women were lying. They were voting for him because he is a God fearing, abortion hating, Republican.

People get this idea in their heads that they are going to vote based on the one or two issues which are important to them. After all, the candidates are supposed to represent them, right? While in theory there is nothing wrong with this point of view, the problem is people in both parties ignore what should be fatal flaws in the candidate from their party, simply because the candidate of the other party doesn't hold their view on their one or two "important" issues they are basing their vote on.

People need to take a wider view and realize they are being manipulated into voting for people who simply say what the voter wants to hear. The number of politicians who have spouted "family values" or "honesty" only he find out they are cheating on their spouses and/or taking bribes are nearly uncountable. Now you can't always know when they are lying through their teeth. But if you look at their voting records, it is often clear as day.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:42 Verno

Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 10:59:
I don't think moderate conservatives are dumb, I think conservative voices have become overwhelmingly non-moderate.

Yeah well, that's not what you said and frankly I think you said exactly what you really meant. I've been largely ignoring political discussions here lately but I spoke up this time because that comment was unfair and shitty. Picking a bone with Walt is fair game, that shit is just nuts but addressing it at everyone was bullshit and childish.

I'm not talking about impeachment, I'm not making "do this or you're that" arguments, I'm not trying to browbeat anyone, and I'm not expecting you to champion my morals. I'm not expecting to convert anyone. I'm grumpy and I shouldn't be divisive but man, you've got way bigger problems than me - and I mean problems from a moderate conservative point of view, not my own.

Your heartfelt concern is noted and appreciated. Don't worry though, I have a wonderful family, our house is paid for, I have a good investment portfolio and a great career. Those things are important and worth losing sleep over. I don't define my whole identity around the last vote I cast. I don't pick sides like some of you seem to pick sports teams either, I vote based on things important to me and how I view the progression of the country at that time and I'm always willing to change my mind. I've voted Democrat and Republican and while I currently lean more towards the right, that's not to say I won't do something else later on depending on how the investigation pans out or just because I decide I like another political platform more.

Shit, you've got *more* problems than I do

No, as a moderate I will tell you the biggest problem is that we're being shut out by behavior like I mentioned from both parties. But whatever, Republicans bad and dumb, blah blah blah.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:18 Beamer

Moderates in America have become overwhelmingly non-moderate.

The country, as a whole, has slid kind of further right, but our population has never fit so neatly into categories as both sides move from moderate to party lines.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 11:08 RedEye9

Republicans struggle "to rebut the judgments of economists and fiscal analysts who rejected their claims about the billís distributional effects and its likely impact on the federal budget.
Analysts with the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation found that the bill would saddle the nation with $1 trillion in additional debt and generate little economic growth, and that most of its benefits would go to corporations and the wealthy
."

The gameís afoot.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 10:59 Quboid

I don't think moderate conservatives are dumb, I think conservative voices have become overwhelmingly non-moderate. I'm not talking about impeachment, I'm not making "do this or you're that" arguments, I'm not trying to browbeat anyone, and I'm not expecting you to champion my morals. I'm not expecting to convert anyone. I'm grumpy and I shouldn't be divisive but man, you've got way bigger problems than me - and I mean problems from a moderate conservative point of view, not my own.

(I thought you'd replied before I wrote any of this, so I moved it to this new reply.)

There won't be results if many Republicans get their way and you're helping whether you realise it or not. Don't like hypothetical? What do you think of this Matthew Peterson fellow, are you happy with that? You don't need to rail in OotB and you certainly don't need to prove a damn thing to me. Just ... if you're a moderate conservative and you're sleeping well, wake up.

Shit, you've got *more* problems than I do. If Trumpism gets rejected, conservatism is set back a generation and I'm probably happier. If it's accepted, moderate conservatism is dead.

43. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 10:35 Verno

Quboid wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 10:15:
Maybe check the rest of the sentence you cut off? It's not about your intentions, it's about your actions - it doesn't matter what you agree with or disagree with if you say nothing. Those who vote Republican but who say nothing are represented by Trump, by Conway, by Fox News, by WaltC. By Russia, as much as these people would like us to dismiss them as some sort of bogeyman. It's clearly a case of "how much" influence Russia has over your President and people like you, maybe including you, just want the whole thing dropped.

Your comment was insulting and unproductive even in the whole context. Do you think you will browbeat everyone else into agreeing with you? Yes let's call everyone who disagrees dumb, that's the ticket. Let's get something else straight here by the way - it's not my responsibility to champion your morals, ideals and political viewpoints. You trying to make DO THIS OR ELSE YOU'RE <X> arguments don't sway me or anyone else. I sleep just fine at night with the decisions I've made and what I choose to "speak up" about. I don't need to rail in OOTB about every single political decision I disagree with to somehow prove anything to you. I make my statements where they matter with my votes, my money and in my community.

What are you going to do when all this comes to a head and Trump gets cornered? When he fires Mueller or declares war or heaven knows what? Will you take a stand then? What if the Republican establishment gets the enquiry shut down before it comes to a conclusion? What are your priorities then? If you're OK with your nation's biggest rival having influence in the White House, sorry but you are simply dumb. If you're not OK with this, why not object now? You're making treason a partisan issue by your implied complicity.

You just dumped a bevy of hypotheticals on me so to answer your question, I suppose I will wait to see if they actually occur and then what can be done at that point. Trump hasn't gone to war. He hasn't fired Mueller. Republicans haven't shut down the investigation. So far I haven't seen compelling evidence to impeach Trump either. Like most people, I'm waiting for the results.

I don't think moderate conservatives are dumb, I think conservative voices are overwhelmingly non-moderate.

I was going to respond to this but you just edited it again to remove it so /shrug.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 10:48.

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 10:15 Quboid

Maybe check the rest of the sentence you cut off? It's not about your intentions, it's about your actions - it doesn't matter what you agree with or disagree with if you say nothing.

Those who vote Republican but who say nothing are represented by Trump, by Conway, by Fox News, by WaltC. By Russia, as much as these people would like us to dismiss them as some sort of bogeyman. It's clearly a case of "how much" influence Russia has over your President and people like you, maybe including you, just want the whole thing dropped.

What are you going to do when all this comes to a head and Trump gets cornered? When he fires Mueller or declares war or heaven knows what? Will you take a stand then? What if the Republican establishment gets the enquiry shut down before it comes to a conclusion? What are your priorities then? If you're OK with your nation's biggest rival having influence in the White House, sorry but you are simply dumb. If you're not OK with this, why not object now? You're making treason a partisan issue by your implied complicity.

"Even in the RollinThundr days"? The Republicans were a hell of a lot better in those days. In those days, the Tea Party was a lunatic fringe.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 10:43.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 09:18 Verno

Republican voters are the dumbest people around. Even the moderates who say nothing, the mentality shown here is defining you and it is governing you. Morons who lap up conspiracy theories that scare them into voting for the people who spread the conspiracies - and those who aren't choose to say nothing, so stand for nothing, so mean nothing.

*grumble grumble*

Politics isn't all or nothing. People don't have to agree with the entire Republican platform to vote that way, the same way I didn't have to agree with the whole Democratic platform when I voted for Bill. "Taking a stand" makes some dubious assumptions about shared morals, political viewpoints and priorities. Anyways this kind of divisive commentary becoming normalized around here is really disheartening. Even in the RollinThundr days we had less invective thrown around.

Looking at the Times summary of the new tax bill it looks like the usual pros and cons from Washington to me. I see some very interesting stuff there and some eye rolling crap but that's not out of the norm. But I guess I'm wrong, its the end of the universe and if you don't agree then you're simply a "dumb Republican".

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2017, 12:16.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 08:02 RedEye9

obligatory
In a push to show that the most hated president to ever set foot in office can do "things" besides playing golf and filing bankruptcy, the senate passed the 'make the rich even richer' tax break.

@Beamer - don't feed, it requires attention to live

The gameís afoot.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 07:29 Beamer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 00:18:
Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 16:42:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 16:36:
obligatory

Jesus, Saves!

Rebound to Gretzky, he fakes, Jesus flops to the corner, Gretzky lifts it up, GRETZKY SCORES!

ALL HAIL GRETZKY! GRETZKY 1, JESUS 0!

Unlike hockey players, Jesus could walk on liquid water. GRETZKY 1, JESUS 1! ... in a thunderstorm. GRETZKY 1, JESUS 2! ... and control the weather. GRETZKY 1, JESUS 3! *drops mic*

What kind of psychopath plays hockey in a thunderstorm...

Wait, did you just say Jesus is Storm from the XMEN? Jesus is Halle Berry!?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 06:38 Quboid

WaltC wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 16:06:
obligatory

I won't belabor the point, but hopefully you are aware that the (D) party *always* opposes any tax cuts that are presented? Always. And their reasoning is exactly the same, every time--because some "rich people" might benefit. That's all the (D)s care about, really. If three rich people save $20 but 30,000,000 middle-class Americans save several hundred dollars + in taxes paid, you can count on the (D) party to oppose it. And why? (D)s reason that the more of your money *they control* through high taxation, the more power they have in the government and the less power you and I as individuals have. The "rich people bailout" is a scam that the (D)s faithfully use to try and derail every tax cut that comes along these days. Vote (D) in the US if you like and admire the Cuba-Venezuela style of governing--the (D)s certainly do...;) Everyone is dirt poor in those countries ("equal") except the upper crust ruling elites who are all rich. The (D)s in Washington want to be those elites--I think they dream of it every night.

Republican voters are the dumbest people around. Even the moderates who say nothing, the mentality shown here is defining you and it is governing you. Morons who lap up conspiracy theories that scare them into voting for the people who spread the conspiracies - and those who aren't choose to say nothing, so stand for nothing, so mean nothing.

*grumble grumble*

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo