Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support

A new Vision Statement from Eidos-Montréal discusses the developer's embrace of online gameplay, quoting studio head David 'Prison Tat' Anfossi saying "we are placing an added emphasis on the online experiences in our games, striving to continually provide players with content that is memorable and impactful." They also hear from director of online technology Sébastien Bessette saying, "We’re also structuring the DAWN engine, our proprietary technology, to interface with modern online solutions, which gives us the ability to take advantage of existing technologies." This apparently prompted some strong reactions, as DSOGaming notes a tweet from Anfossi, who responds to concerns this means the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider developer is abandoning single-player games: "Nobody said we give up the narrative single player games; this is what we like to do. Where did you read that?! ;)" He also later reassures: "Stay tuned if you like strong action adventure games ;)"

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 18, 2017, 06:28 StingingVelvet

Squirmer wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 15:25:
You say "online experiences", I hear "continual revenue stream".

Indeed. And they will justify it by quoting expenses and return on said advances not being adequate, but a lot of that is their own silly expectations.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 18, 2017, 02:46 jdreyer

Both great songs by two great bands.  

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

14. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 22:14 Dev

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 11:49:
Sounds like marketing speak for microtransactions to me.

Well yeah... they already put in single use DLC for single player games into I think it was the previous deus ex. Like literally you open the box and it's in that save game and no where else, and that's for single player.

13. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 20:24 Eirikrautha

Was hoping you'd linked to this song. Was disappointed...  

12. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 20:22 Acleacius

Now confirming, more qte, more consolazation and more microtransations. Stand by for phase II [Even more assholalianism] by combining all three into one! W00tw00t

That's right folks, now like never before you will have to PAY to complete qte, while they are happening. You asked for and now we deliver! Trollbashing

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

11. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 19:09 CJ_Parker

...we are placing an added emphasis on the online experiences in our games, striving to continually provide players with content that is memorable and impactful

Now there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one... Rolleyes

10. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 19:06 MajorD

jdreyer wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 18:17:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 17:07:
What I wonder is, how is that dude CEO of Eidos-Montreal and this tone deaf with the whole EA/Loot box situation......

You say "Online experience" and I think lootboxes and gambling. Yeah, that's a great and totally innocent association to draw up currently, way to goo, Mr Anfossi

Here's the thing: paying money for stuff, a little or a lot, is pain. Games are pleasure. Most of us like to get our pain over with one time, at the start, then have our pleasure for a nice long time. We don't want to be constantly mixing our pleasure and pain by having to pay niggly amounts for "online experiences."

If I wanted pain with my pleasure, I'd be into BDSM. I'm not.

Your post triggered this song.....

Still counting...

9. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 18:27 WaltC

Yeah, I think that "an emphasis on online gaming" to the exclusion of single play gaming signals a definite downturn in game quality. I won't buy a game that isn't strong single-play; or even one that pretends to add single-play but with an "always-online" requirement serving as their copy protection & DRM. I never bought Diablo 3 because of that and never will. Telling me that the DRM is "built-in" to the structure of the game and so it really isn't DRM falls on old and deaf ears here...;) No, no, no--thanks, no thank you...;) Really, what is an online-only shooter with little to no story or plot? It's just a game *engine* basically and *ugh*--no sale. Whenever I hear "online-only" these days I think of something I won't like. No attraction or curiosity.  

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

8. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 18:17 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 17:07:
What I wonder is, how is that dude CEO of Eidos-Montreal and this tone deaf with the whole EA/Loot box situation......

You say "Online experience" and I think lootboxes and gambling. Yeah, that's a great and totally innocent association to draw up currently, way to goo, Mr Anfossi

Here's the thing: paying money for stuff, a little or a lot, is pain. Games are pleasure. Most of us like to get our pain over with one time, at the start, then have our pleasure for a nice long time. We don't want to be constantly mixing our pleasure and pain by having to pay niggly amounts for "online experiences."

If I wanted pain with my pleasure, I'd be into BDSM. I'm not.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

7. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 17:07 eRe4s3r

6. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 17:02 Luke

Sure sure ...the way online games are made today its like single game.....just another excuse for sucking youngsters wallet dry with there DownLoadCrap....borring developers is what are left..  

5. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 15:34 jacobvandy

Both Deus Ex and Tomb Raider already have incorporated pseudo-online modes as an excuse to put in microtransactions, but so far they're each pretty safely ignored without impacting the single-payer. Well, Deus Ex impacts a little, they give you a poke to try it and some significant rewards for your campaign if you play the side-game a bit... If that's something they want to pursue further in future games from those franchises and others, we'll just have to wait and see whether or not they completely ruin the SP experience along the way.  

4. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 15:25 Squirmer

You say "online experiences", I hear "continual revenue stream".  

3. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 15:20 RedEye9

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 14:53:
Yay, more focus on online shit... :\
that's where the moneys at, and it suxors.
Waiting for EA to buy CDPR and squeeze the life out of it.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

2. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 14:53 Creston

Yay, more focus on online shit... :\

1. Re: Eidos-Montréal on Single-player and Multiplayer Support Dec 17, 2017, 11:49 Cutter

Sounds like marketing speak for microtransactions to me.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo