Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Mobilization

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 18, 2017, 16:02 Beamer

Simon Says wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 15:57:
*Cuts power to the speakers and covers the screens*

FU!

It's not referring to cars you own, but ones you share. It makes sense - get into a NYC cab and you're being advertised to. It's easy to turn the volume off and ignore, and it's not a particularly good system, but if it makes my ride cheaper I'm mostly ok with it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 18, 2017, 15:57 Simon Says

*Cuts power to the speakers and covers the screens*

FU!

3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 18, 2017, 08:31 Asmodai

Just wait till the first hack or bad update either bricks the cars or causes multiple fatalities...

Technology is becoming a bigger and bigger crutch for humanity which means we're going to be that much weaker when it inevitably falls on it's tits.

2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 17, 2017, 17:26 Creston

Indeed, Tasha Keeney, an analyst at ARK Invest, is even more optimistic, telling CNN that the autonomous taxi market could be worth as much as $10 trillion by 2030.

LOL. Yes, all because of all that data! Because there is nothing more valuable than 2TB of data of "Person A drove to work today. Person B drove to work today. Person C drove to work today. Person D did not drive to work today."

Unbelievable. Nowadays, if something generates data, it MUST be valuable! No, actually, it isn't. It's just data, and unless there is something worthwhile (meaning against the norm, or indicative of a new trend) in that data, it's just NOISE.

I mean, I could generate 140PB of data every day by saying that ~6.9 billion people put on clothes today, but it's really not very valuable, is it?

Sure, if someone is going to the mall, I can see targeted advertisements being valuable, but 99% of these car trips are going to be PEOPLE GOING TO WORK. It's gonna be hard to target that.

Still, it is my biggest worry: self driving cars coming with endless fucking advertisements that you can't turn off, like that terrifying Black Mirror episode. Then again, I'll be the last guy to get one. The government will have to rip the steering wheel from my fucking hands.

Also, heh, 2030. Good luck with that. Despite what all the sociopaths in Silicon Valley and the car manufacturers would like you to believe, autonomous vehicles are nowhere NEAR level 4, much less level 5, which is what we all envision when we say autonomous driving.

I'm sure there will be self-driving, level 5 cars in 2030, but this idea that they will have already conquered the market and everyone is in one is insane.

For one, they are going to be expensive as hell. All that tech costs money. Metric shit tons of it. A level 5 self driving car is estimated to cost ~ 10K - 15K dollars more than a current regular one. So while the 1 percent can afford them, the 1 percent doesn't do most of the driving on our roads.

But probably more importantly, currently Most Americans don't trust self-driving cars.

And while that will slowly change once they become available and more reports of how safe they are start filtering down, Americans aren't going to change their mind en masse in a little over ten years.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2017, 17:37.

1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 17, 2017, 11:56 Cutter

Ugh. No thanks.

I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END. - Miranda Hart

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo