Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, it's been an interesting morning here at the BlueTower. MrsBlue was taking a shower in our recently renovated bathroom when I heard a loud draining sound that was unusual, even for a room with so many drains. This was followed by what sounded like something falling, so I called out to make sure everything was okay. She assured me she was fine, as she thought the noise was from something I did. Then we found the horrible truth. The ceiling in the bedroom below the bathroom had collapsed. Well not all of it, but a good chunk. This left a lot of water and debris behind, and, even worse, some water draining all the way down to the first floor as well. We took pictures, called our lawyer and insurance company, cleaned up, and let the realtor know that this was not actually remedying our negative impression of the contractor who did the work. Hopefully cleaning up will have been the worse of it, but we'll have to wait and see how all this must be dealt with. Needless to say we are not overjoyed at this development. As I say, an interesting morning.

Catastrophic Links: Thanks Ant.
Story: "The Last Jedi" Scores $105M Opening Day.
Science: Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program. Thanks j.c.f.
Media: Mark Hamill USES The Force! - The Graham Norton Show.
Freeman's Mind 2: Episode 5. Thanks RedEye9.
StarCrafts Season 6 Ep 2: The New Zerg.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 09:44 Creston

Holy shit, Blue. Time to call a lawyer, methinks.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 23:48 Mr. Tact

LOL! And the 'boys pull it out too! Great week! Grin

Let index-card-gate begin!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 20:36 Rigs

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 19:46:
Whew! Both New England and San Francisco pull out last second wins. That really helped...

How the F did San Fran win?!? I turned it off in the early 4th thinking it was over...doesn't kill my joy at seeing the Rams absolutely trounce the 'can-do-no-wrong-we-were-champions-remember?' Seahawks...glorious! (First time I've watched football all season since NASCAR is done and over with)

Anyway, it's decided: I am NEVER remodeling my home - EVER! (Well, if I ever actually own one )

EDIT: I was just looking at the comments from the Sept 11th, 2001 post here....why? I was curious to see if anyone in our group now was there then or around that time (I started around Sept 24th and went back) and I didn't see many familiar names. Very interesting to read those posts on that day, all the misinformation about possible car bombs and flights hitting Camp David or the White House. I had no real point in looking, I was just curious. I also noticed that, man, Blue, you were a one-man news posting machine back then! I'd forgotten how much you used to post in one day. Either we've slowed down or the gaming industry has. I think it's a bit of both. I say 'we' because I used to ingest all that news and come back for more every day. Guess I'm just thankful for all the time and effort you've put in over the years. Not because it's Thanksgiving or your birthday or the site's birthday, it's just a normal December day and I appreciate it. Simple as that.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2017, 21:24.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 19:46 Mr. Tact

Whew! Both New England and San Francisco pull out last second wins. That really helped...  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 18:29 jdreyer

Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program.

Obligatory.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 16:44 RedEye9

More censored words from The Joseph Goebbels New Nixon dRumpf administration. The Department of Health and Human Services latest round of scrabble bans include entitlement, Obamacare, diversity, marketplaces and vulnerable.
The Orwellian dystopia continues over at the State Department, "sex education" has been changed to "sexual risk avoidance"
https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/65998-need-to-impeach-trump

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 16:14 Hoop

When you have people through to sell the place just tell them it's got perfect indoor indoor flow.
If insurance is going to cover everything break out the Trump Tower bathroom pics, solid gold taps & carrara marble everywhere.

Um .. Behind you...

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 12:27 RedEye9

Cax wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 11:27:
I'm sorry but the first thing I thought of was that scene in Breaking Bad
Hang in there ;(
always listen to your chemistry teacher

star wars
Almost half of that $105M came from the Thursday night showing.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 12:22 Cutter

Wait a second, clear up a few things. You guys never used that shower, at least on a a regular basis? What work did the guy do in the bathroom? Did he replace the tub or move it at all? Do any of the joists look like they have old water damage or rot? TBH it sounds more like there was already existing damage and that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. A leak in the drain seal or in the pipe? Your house is older isn't it? So is the ceiling there lath and plaster or drywall? If it's plaster it could have hidden the condition much better whereas drywall issues and water damage are much easier to spot. Regardless, you generally won't see something like that happen without a pre-existing condition or direct damage. Certainly not because of a single shower.

It happens. Reminds me of one time when I took the car in I was driving at the time to get the timing belt changed and 2 days later the water pump went on it. I was all, 'Hrm' seeing as the guy had to remove said pump in order to get the belt off. Still, it may have been a coincidence - and what are the odds on that - but I had no way of proving it was his fault.

Ugh, good luck. Everyone wins when the lawyers get involved, right?

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:47 MajorD

Oh man, that is awful, I'm sorry to read that happened Blue. I hope it all works out for the best for you guys though.

Hang in there.....

Still counting...

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:39  Blue 

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 11:34:
*ugh* Sad

What a major PITA. In hindsight, were there any warning signs recently? Best of luck in getting a satisfactory result in dealing with the cleanup, the fix, and with the contractor.

Nah, no warning signs. We never used the shower in all the years before renovating the bathroom, so there may have been a congenital draining issue, but I don't feel naive in thinking this is still on the contractor.

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 11:22:
That fricken sucks.
But it might be the needle in the haystack that gives MrsBlue the nudge to move.

You'd think our local market being featured in the NY Times real estate section, the threat of rising interest rates, and tax changes designed to punish homeowners in our state would have nudged her already, but I guess I can hope.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:35 El Pit

Things you don't want for Christmas

1. Your house falling apart.
2. Another big budget Star Wars fan film made by Sith Lord Darth Diznee.

Good luck with the Blue Tower, Mrs. and Mr. Blue. I hope everything will be fine for Christmas time.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:34 Mr. Tact

*ugh* Sad

What a major PITA. In hindsight, were there any warning signs recently? Best of luck in getting a satisfactory result in dealing with the cleanup, the fix, and with the contractor.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:27 Cax

I'm sorry but the first thing I thought of was that scene in Breaking Bad
Hang in there ;(

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 11:22 RedEye9

That fricken sucks.
But it might be the needle in the haystack that gives MrsBlue the nudge to move.

Nullity's Law

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo