Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Safety Dance

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 23:23 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 13:02:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:52:
For some reason am I reminded of the story about popcorn favoring on microwave popcorn being an issue...
Only to find out the one person having a problem ate several bags of the popcorn everyday. And always inhaled deeply from the popcorn bag just after removing it from the microwave and opening the bag...
But it was not just one anecdotal person. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3115208/
So, not so much a consumer problem as an industrial problem. Interesting.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 13:02 RedEye9

Nucas wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:47:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:34:
NKD wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:25:
Unless I'm behind on this research, there hasn't been any credible link discovered between cell phone usage and illness. In addition, despite cell phone usage increasingly dramatically, there has been no corresponding increase in brain cancer diagnoses.
In the early 20th century watch dials and hands were painted with radium-containing paint so that they would glow in the dark. The women employed in this work licked the paint brushes to make the tips pointed and, well, you know the rest of that story.

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/results/areas/cellphones/
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Cell phones are relatively new. More studies are underway.

the difference there being the employers knew, or had cause to suspect, the toxic nature of radium and concealed it from the employees. and, well, you know the rest of that story.

we also understand the mechanism of ionizing radiation's effects on DNA pretty well at this point, and RF is non-ionizing. we've got a pretty good chunk of data on it now considering RF's been in wide use for well over a century.

i'll not decry further research on a subject, but i'd slate this one under "matter of lowest concern", just below "does aspartame cause cancer?"
I'm just pointing out that what we "know" and what we don't know is always in flux.
For example the mercury video, no one realized in 1996 that dimethylmercury could rapidly permeate different kinds of latex gloves and enter the skin within about 15 seconds.
Or that in the late 50's thalidomide caused birth defects.
They are not going to duct tape a cell phone (broadcasting at max power) to a pregnant woman's belly for 9 months for obvious reasons.
And everyone that uses a cell phone does not have a coil shaped tumor in their brain.
But i for one am all about more study, because the more you know...

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:52:
For some reason am I reminded of the story about popcorn favoring on microwave popcorn being an issue...
Only to find out the one person having a problem ate several bags of the popcorn everyday. And always inhaled deeply from the popcorn bag just after removing it from the microwave and opening the bag...
But it was not just one anecdotal person. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3115208/

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

15. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 12:52 Mr. Tact

For some reason am I reminded of the story about popcorn flavoring on microwave popcorn being an issue...

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2017, 17:00.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 12:47 Nucas

Unless I'm behind on this research, there hasn't been any credible link discovered between cell phone usage and illness. In addition, despite cell phone usage increasingly dramatically, there has been no corresponding increase in brain cancer diagnoses.
In the early 20th century watch dials and hands were painted with radium-containing paint so that they would glow in the dark. The women employed in this work licked the paint brushes to make the tips pointed and, well, you know the rest of that story.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

the difference there being the employers knew, or had cause to suspect, the toxic nature of radium and concealed it from the employees. and, well, you know the rest of that story.

we also understand the mechanism of ionizing radiation's effects on DNA pretty well at this point, and RF is non-ionizing. we've got a pretty good chunk of data on it now considering RF's been in wide use for well over a century.

i'll not decry further research on a subject, but i'd slate this one under "matter of lowest concern", just below "does aspartame cause cancer?"

13. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 03:08 MattyC

NKD wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 01:42:

If RF is killing us and we just haven't shown the symptoms yet, we're fucked.

I imagine this will pan out to be (mostly) insubstantial. I am sure it has some nugget of truth to it, but most things like this are overblown or just poorly covered... that goes double for any headlines / blurbs from Slashdot.

That said, if it is medically significant, thanks for telling me ~18 years too late CA!

12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 01:42 NKD

If RF is killing us and we just haven't shown the symptoms yet, we're fucked.

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

11. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 01:32 ParcelRot

Uh oh - RedEye9 is onto something - DON'T EVER LICK YOUR CELLPHONE.  

10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 21:34 RedEye9

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 21:25 NKD

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.

8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 18:35 RedEye9

Slick wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 17:03:
But the cellphone shit is SUCH GARBAGE. My wife is a physicist, and laughs at this nonsense. The people making these laws don't understand what non-ionising radiation is.
Whatevs
The preponderance of the research indicates that cell phone radiation poses a major risk to health.
I'd believe the research and not the wife (just don't tell her)

Nullity's Law

7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 17:03 Slick

The CDC news is fucking Goebbels-tastic

But the cellphone shit is SUCH GARBAGE. My wife is a physicist, and laughs at this nonsense. The people making these laws don't understand what non-ionising radiation is.

Fucking California... the best and the worst of America.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 13:45 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:47:
Creston wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:27:
“If you keep the device by your body you will exceed the safety limits provided by the FCC... However, the agency requires cell phone manufacturers to ensure all phones comply with “objective limits for safe exposure.”"

Don't worry, fellas, Ajit Pai is ON IT! Those rules will soon be history, because it's 'too onerous' for a 50 billion dollar corporation to have to post or comply with a few minor regulations.

No duh
The CDC is why you and your loved ones aren't dead. Trump just banned them from using the phrase "science-based."
Other words soon to be banned include radiation, pollution, EPA, radioactivity, global warming, Russia, library, education, health food, health care, social security, reality, impeachment, contamination, California, KKK, science, fracking, low birth weight, civil rights, transgender, guns, gun violence, ...

Instead the CDC can use the following; cuck, snowflake, animal, Pocahontas, short and fat, clean coal, son of a bitch, pussy and c*nt.

Let's just be thankful Trump isn't an anti-vaxxer.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 13:41 jdreyer

“If you keep the device by your body you will exceed the safety limits provided by the FCC... However, the agency requires cell phone manufacturers to ensure all phones comply with “objective limits for safe exposure.”"

Don't worry, fellas, Ajit Pai is ON IT! Those rules will soon be history, because it's 'too onerous' for a 50 billion dollar corporation to have to post or comply with a few minor regulations.

There's no need for regulation. The free market will self correct once enough people die.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 12:47 RedEye9

No duh
The CDC is why you and your loved ones aren't dead. Trump just banned them from using the phrase "science-based."
Other words soon to be banned include radiation, pollution, EPA, radioactivity, global warming, Russia, library, education, health food, health care, social security, reality, impeachment, contamination, California, KKK, science, fracking, low birth weight, civil rights, transgender, guns, gun violence, ...

Instead the CDC can use the following; cuck, snowflake, animal, Pocahontas, short and fat, clean coal, son of a bitch, pussy and c*nt.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2017, 13:00.

Nullity's Law

3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 12:27 Creston

2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 11:14 RedEye9

Simple, I hired an illegal alien to hold my phone and make call's for me. He only speaks Spanish, but I let the person on other end of the line deal with that.
Thanks Obama California!

Nullity's Law

1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 10:48 Cutter

However, Moskowitz maintains most state and federal health agencies have not kept up with the research. “The preponderance of the research indicates that cell phone radiation poses a major risk to health,” he said in a statement.

Good. That'll mean less zombies walking around with their faces buried in their phones causing problems for normal people.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo