Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Arthur C Clarke at 100: "still the king of science fiction" on The Guardian (thanks David). I'm old school when it comes to sci-fi, so I'll always think of the big three as Clarke, Asimov, and Heinlein (even if Clarke and Asimov hilariously sparred at times). Speaking of science fiction, JDreyer started a Star Wars: The Last Jedi Spoiler Thread on our forums for those who have seen the movie. Feel free to visit there if you haven't seen the movie, but that spoiler warning is real.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: SWAT Warfare.
Link: Carrie Fisher's dog Gary watched The Last Jedi and perked up every time she appeared. Thanks reddit.
Science: The family that doesn't feel pain.
Ketamine Relieved Suicidal Thoughts Within Hours in Hospital Study.
Scientists Say Japanese Monkeys Are Having 'Sexual Interactions' With Deer.
Media: How To Become Legally Recognized As A F*ckboi. NSFW.
It's something special to take this much joy in your job.
2 Drops Of Spilled Mercury Destroyed This Scientist's Brain.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 09:32 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 07:39:
I know I'm bumping something days old, but I was reading the Wikipedia entry for Marge Schott last night and came across this gem:

On November 29, Schott said the "million-dollar n*****s" comment was made in jest, but then stated that she felt that Adolf Hitler was initially good for Germany and did not understand how the epithet "Jap" could be offensive.

Basically, Cutter is Marge Schott. Only she was saying this crap 20 years ago.
Pretty sure the angry white cannuck has already posted something almost identical. oOh, he did.
I heard that Canadians are very polite and intelligent. Sadly we get the Goofus out of all the Gallants.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 07:39 Beamer

I know I'm bumping something days old, but I was reading the Wikipedia entry for Marge Schott last night and came across this gem:

On November 29, Schott said the "million-dollar n*****s" comment was made in jest, but then stated that she felt that Adolf Hitler was initially good for Germany and did not understand how the epithet "Jap" could be offensive.

Basically, Cutter is Marge Schott. Only she was saying this crap 20 years ago.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 18:00 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 08:10:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 16:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 11:38:
It's Cutter...
(redacted)

Starting to see how that works? There's zero negative connotation to any of then except what you choose to apply to them. Stop being such whiny little snowflakes already.
Not quite sure why you quoted me Cutter, I essentially gave you a pass. Not because you deserved it, but because you're enough of a troll I didn't think it was worth the effort/trouble Beamer took.

You're right there are a lot of whiny, politically correct, snowflakes running around being offended by stuff they probably shouldn't notice. However, that doesn't mean you are allowed to use language which is commonly believed/held to be racial slurs. Check yourself.

There was a famous American general or politician who was married to a Japanese woman shortly after WW2. I forget who, tried doing some research last night but couldn't figure it out. Anyway, he related the story where he said "Something something Jap something." to his wife after they'd been married for several years. She replied, "If you ever say 'Jap' again, I will divorce you and move back to Japan with the children." He said he never used the word again after that day.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 17:56 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 11:01:
This colorless liquid is one of the strongest known neurotoxins. It is described as having a slightly sweet smell, although inhaling enough vapor to detect its odor would be hazardous.
Aw jesus, that's uplifting.
At least it resulted in improved safety procedures for chemical-protection clothing and fume use.

If any of you listened to the S-Town podcast, you'll know that (spoiler) John B McLemore was a repairer of antique clocks who used traditional methods to repair them. This involved the use of mercury and he was exposed many times. Eventually he committed suicide, tragically, and it's thought that the exposure contributed to his mental decline over the years. End spoiler.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 10:44 Beamer

Nucas wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 01:07:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 22:46:
Blue you really need to ban these fucking trolls like Beamer and Redeye,. Why do you let those brats keep starting trouble? I guess their parents have no idea what they're doing in the basement besides tugging it. Send them back to 4Chan where they belong. All they ever do is troll and start trouble. It's tiresome.

i just.. i can't.. is this real?

Right?
I also love that he claims to have me on ignore, but then parrots my post.

And how can he not see that just because he finds a word not aimed at him inoffensive doesn't mean it isn't recognized as commonly offensive. Though, I do love how when someone does do something he finds offensive he whips out the word "evil."

-------------

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 08:10 Mr. Tact

It's Cutter...
(redacted)

Starting to see how that works? There's zero negative connotation to any of then except what you choose to apply to them. Stop being such whiny little snowflakes already.
Not quite sure why you quoted me Cutter, I essentially gave you a pass. Not because you deserved it, but because you're enough of a troll I didn't think it was worth the effort/trouble Beamer took.

You're right there are a lot of whiny, politically correct, snowflakes running around being offended by stuff they probably shouldn't notice. However, that doesn't mean you are allowed to use language which is commonly believed/held to be racial slurs. Check yourself.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 08:06 RedEye9

Blue you really need to ban these fucking trolls like Beamer and Redeye, me. Why do you let those brats me keep starting trouble? I guess their my parents have no idea what they're I'm doing in the basement besides tugging it. Send them me back to 4Chan where they I belong. All they I ever do is troll and start trouble. It's I'm tiresome.
ftfy
I will say one thing, you have the angry white man entitled act down to a fine art. sad

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 01:55 NKD

Blue you really need to ban these fucking trolls like Beamer and Redeye,. Why do you let those brats keep starting trouble? I guess their parents have no idea what they're doing in the basement besides tugging it. Send them back to 4Chan where they belong. All they ever do is troll and start trouble. It's tiresome.

What's life like living with crippling autism and zero ability for self-reflection?

"Broke their brown backs chasing Mr. White's dream,
that Bill of Rights was just a pyramid scheme."
- Nunca David Hidalgo & Los Refugio Tiernos

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 01:07 Nucas

i just.. i can't.. is this real?

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 22:46 Cutter

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 20:13 Beamer

It's Cutter...

Japanese = Jap
Nipponese = Nip
Canadian = Canuck
American = Yank
India = Indian
Australian = Aussie

You're an embarrassment. Every dictionary says it's an ethnic slur, but since you say it's not it must not be.

And "nip?"

Blue, can we ban him yet? He's using ethnic slurs, and proud of it.

. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term very controversial or extremely offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.

Nip is an ethnic slur against people of Japanese descent and origin

Never have I seen someone so arrogant in their ignorance, so confident in the fact that they've failed at each career they've bragged about here.

-------------

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 19:57 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 17:02:
Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 16:50:
I've considered buying a new one off an on for a few years now, and while I can afford one, there are literally a thousand other things I can spend the difference in price on - boat (and I have been seriously considering getting a new sailboat once again for several years now), travel, etc.
I've always consider this an interesting issue. There are many people on "never buy a new car" or the "always buy a new car" schools of thought. Personally, I've done both in different situations. I've bought four cars used, and 3 new.

Although I could make an argument for 2 or 2.5 for the new. In 2005, I bought a brand new 2006 Nissan Altima, two years later for reasons I won't bother to go into now, Nissan offered to buy back my 2006 Altima for a very attractive price. So, I took them up on the offer and turned around and purchased a 2008 Altima, which I am still driving.

I tend to look at from a warranty point of view as well as mileage. Speaking of which, I'm pretty pissed that VW won't implement the same warranty in Canada as they do in the US - 4yr/80k vs. 6yr/72k respectively. As someone who only clocks about 10k a year on average the US warranty would be way better. Don't even get me started on Canada v. US car pricing or I'll lose my shit - the Alltrack for example is 10 grand cheaper in the US. 10 grand for the same fucking car! I even considered buying the US but VW won't honor the warranty here. Subaru isn't much better and their warranty is way worse - 3 yr/36k. If I wasn't set on a wagon/crossover I'd look very seriously into buying in the US.

I've looked at pre-owned (certified) at a bunch of different dealers online here and it's just not worth it IMO. A) A lot of the vehicles already have 20-50k on them and are only a year or two old. B) It's the difference of less than 5 grand - usually more in the 3k range. Between one of those and something new, so again, just not worth it. I'd rather have that bumper to bumper and the knowledge that if anything goes wrong with the vehicle I'm not questioning if it was perhaps my fault or the previous owner. I'd say the extra couple of grand buys peace of mind. And lastly we all like new shit, right?

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 19:53 Mr. Tact

Wow, this is weird. I really don't know what to make of it. Hoax believers convincing themselves they aren't being hoaxed?

Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 17:02 Mr. Tact

I've considered buying a new one off an on for a few years now, and while I can afford one, there are literally a thousand other things I can spend the difference in price on - boat (and I have been seriously considering getting a new sailboat once again for several years now), travel, etc.
I've always consider this an interesting issue. There are many people on "never buy a new car" or the "always buy a new car" schools of thought. Personally, I've done both in different situations. I've bought four cars used, and 3 new.

Although I could make an argument for 2 or 2.5 for the new. In 2005, I bought a brand new 2006 Nissan Altima, two years later for reasons I won't bother to go into now, Nissan offered to buy back my 2006 Altima for a very attractive price. So, I took them up on the offer and turned around and purchased a 2008 Altima, which I am still driving.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 17:01 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:34:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:14:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 11:58:
Hey Cutter,
Did you check out the Volvo XC40?
Uh, when someone brags about their 15 year old smartphone and whines about game prices while using grey market sites,
Do You Really think he's going to jump from the 22k range to the $36,000's.

Stingy doesn't necessarily mean not wealthy.
Angry derp
I called it.

16. removed Dec 16, 2017, 16:56 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 17, 2017, 07:38.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 16:50 Cutter

Hey Cutter,
Uh, when someone brags about their 15 year old smartphone and whines about game prices while using grey market sites,

Put that fucking moron on ignore already. My first car was a Volvo so I'll always have a soft spot for them. I've considered buying a new one off an on for a few years now, and while I can afford one, there are literally a thousand other things I can spend the difference in price on - boat (and I have been seriously considering getting a new sailboat once again for several years now), travel, etc. I just need a practical vehicle. I'm way past the stupidity of being young and stupid - morons like Redeye - who have zero responsibilities and debts and equate a vehicle with penis size and think it'll help them actually meet females of the species - which of course nothing can ever help those sorts of losers.

It's going to be the Sportwagen or Crosstrek at this point. In fact I've spend most of the day doing my homework on the Sportwagen and I'm kinda' thinking that's where I'm headed. It just seems to be a better all around vehicle for similar money. And the Crosstrek seems to be more for sporty people who do actual offroad stuff, which I don't. And with similarly equipped models the Sportwagen actually comes in for 3k-4k less. I know that's peanuts for pretend "internet millionaires" like Redeye, but for those of us who are actual adults who reside in what the rest of us like to call "reality" that's a substantial difference. The VW build I want is about 28k and the Crosstrek build 32k. That Volvo is several thousand more here at base and I'd be interested in the V60 which with all the bells and whistles I'd want would be 50k easy. No thanks.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 13:25 Ozmodan

Yep, Clark and Asimov are still the pinnacle of Sci-fi. I put Heinlein at the second tier. The foundation series is still one of my all time favorites and the novel "City and the Stars" still my favorite novel. For a short story, "The Star"  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 12:38 Mr. Tact

Actually, stingy helps lead to wealthy.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 12:34 jdreyer

Hey Cutter,

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo