Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files

Rockstar Games announces the launch of L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive headsets. This is available through the Rockstar Warehouse and Steam, though they note that only certain combinations of hardware will allow the game to be played as expected using AMD processors. Here's the deal on this virtual reality take on the noir detective game:

A dark and violent crime thriller set against the backdrop of 1940’s Los Angeles, now in stunning virtual reality.

L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC VIVE™ places you directly in the shoes of Detective Cole Phelps as you solve brutal crimes, plots and conspiracies inspired by real cases from 1947 Los Angeles, one of the most corrupt and violent times in L.A. history.

Featuring seven cases rebuilt specifically for virtual reality, L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files for HTC Vive adds new layers of immersion and realism to Rockstar Games’ atmospheric crime thriller as you solve select cases from the blockbuster original game, spanning mysteries from the Detective desks of Traffic, Arson, Homicide, and more.

• Search for clues by grabbing, inspecting and manipulating objects
  • Get behind the wheel and drive to your next crime scene
  • Engage in chases, fistfights and shootouts as you track down suspects
  • Build your case by making notes or drawing freehand in your detective’s notebook
  • Interrogate witnesses and use your wits to separate truth from lies in a city where everyone has something to hide

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 20, 2017, 22:10 RedEye9

Sepharo wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 14:06:
No I read it. I'm speaking to your claims.
No, you're speaking to someone that spent $900 dollars on a video game that does not exist.
nuff said

Democracy Is Not a Spectator Sport
If You’re Not Scared About Fascism in the U.S., You Should Be
Vote like your rights depend on it
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 20, 2017, 14:06 Sepharo

No I read it. I'm speaking to your claims.  

16. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 20, 2017, 06:05 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 17:35:
As usual some rando Blue's poster has everything figured out better than the execs, managers, business analysts, engineers, developers, the entire businesses set up to make money and develop the technology. You tell em.

If you end up being right tout your victory whenever, wherever, and to whatever degree that it applies and if you end up being wrong... well it simply hasn't happened yet, just wait!

You didn't even bother to read the article I posted, did you? It very clearly demonstrates the state of VR today.

I am not going to "tout my victory" if VR dies or hibernate (I don't want VR to do that). However, I am a pragmatist. IOW, I won't back down from saying what you know is common knowledge. Technology has NEVER evolved into the mainstream without killer apps, and so far VR has not produced any. There's NO driver to get the masses to upgrade their machines and/or buy the hardware. Because of this VR remains a self-defeating pipedream for the moment.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

15. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 19, 2017, 17:35 Sepharo

As usual some rando Blue's poster has everything figured out better than the execs, managers, business analysts, engineers, developers, the entire businesses set up to make money and develop the technology. You tell em.

If you end up being right tout your victory whenever, wherever, and to whatever degree that it applies and if you end up being wrong... well it simply hasn't happened yet, just wait!

14. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 19, 2017, 16:21 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 13:38:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:01:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 04:20:
Have any of Rockstar's money suits bothered to look at the stats for VR?

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)
Oculus Rift 0.09% (-0.02%)
Oculus Rift DK 20.00% (-0.01%)
Oculus Rift DK 10.00% (0.00%)

Why are they releasing a game for a dead technology or at least a tech with no interest? The only possible thing I can come up with is HTC and Valve are paying Rockstar to make LA Noire into a VR game for Vive as a way to boost sales.

I doubt it, if you cared to frequent VR spaces, you can see things are healthy enough, growing and those coming in are blown away. But whatever, you just want to close the door.
Don't you know that new tech is supposed to already be at 100% adoption with Triple A games on day 1. kx should stick to star citizen threads.

Is that how your mind works? I DID NOT post that or any hint of it.
right
What you post and what you think you post are diametric opposites.

In your quest to prove me wrong, I will simply let a real video game professional speak about VR:

"I was very excited when I first played with the Oculus DK2 — the technology was limited, but you could already see what the ambition was. The hardware has increased iteratively; but you need an incredible amount of horsepower and very well optimised low-latency engine to drive VR. Neither Unreal nor Unity are particularly well optimised… The big players who have the tech that could make a difference don’t see the demographics on VR yet, and the people won’t buy it without the killer apps." (https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/26/this-vr-cycle-is-dead/)

Note the use of killer app in final sentence. That's the only thing that will drive VR tech. Everything hinges on that.

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)

Those are sad, indefensible numbers. They cannot sustain VR profitability and no developer is going spend tens of millions to develop a game that only a small percentage of gamers can play. That's not good business cents.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2017, 16:31.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

13. Re: Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 17, 2017, 13:38 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:59:

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)

Why are they releasing a game for a dead technology or at least a tech with no interest? The only possible thing I can come up with is HTC and Valve are paying Rockstar to make LA Noire into a VR game for Vive as a way to boost sales.

I doubt it, if you cared to frequent VR spaces, you can see things are healthy enough, growing and those coming in are blown away. But whatever, you just want to close the door.
Don't you know that new tech is supposed to already be at 100% adoption with Triple A games on day 1. kx should stick to star citizen threads.

right
What you post and what you think you post are diametric opposites.

12. L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 17, 2017, 13:21 Kxmode

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)

"Frequent VR spaces" is typically visited by people who gush about VR tech, the same as "3D printer spaces" are frequented by people who gush about 3D printer tech. However, feelings are irrelevant to the stats, and the raw numbers say VR tech isn't growing. In fact, the numbers show the opposite.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/26/this-vr-cycle-is-dead/ - One veteran games industry developer who works for a top tier games publisher ... now tells me flatly when I ask about the current status of VR: "Come back in five years." ... "this VR cycle is dead."

11. Re: Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 17, 2017, 12:59 Kxmode

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)

10. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 17, 2017, 10:21 Prez

Kind of annoying when high profile games like Fallout, Doom, and La Noir only come out for the headset I don't have. I know there's a rift (I'm so clever) between Occulus and Bethesda but what about LA Noir?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 16, 2017, 21:40 Eirikrautha

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 17:43:
Much as I don't care about VR an much as I didn't really care for this game I would actually like to try it out in VR. Walking around 1940s LA in VR would be pretty sweet. LA Confidential or Mullholland Falls come to mind.

Forget it, Cutter. It's Chinatown...

8. Re: Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 16, 2017, 12:31 RedEye9

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)

7. Re: Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 16, 2017, 12:01 HorrorScope

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 07:18 Nuhauser

Acleacius wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 19:20:
Just great, updating this game to VR but completely ignoring Red Dead for PC. What is it Ford Fairlane would say? "Here's to you rockstar, sucking my ...." Middlefinger

Many different stories about why RDR never got ported to PC. Most believable one I've heard is that it just is not possible due to the way it was originally coded (sloppy as fuck).

5. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 16, 2017, 04:20 Kxmode

HTC Vive 0.10% (-0.02%)

4. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 16, 2017, 01:35 saluk

Kinda wish I hadn't played it already. I have no interest in a retreat.  

3. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 15, 2017, 21:02 rawbelly

I guess Atari's E.T will be VR'd next?

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 2017, 21:26.

2. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 15, 2017, 19:20 Acleacius

Just great, updating this game to VR but completely ignoring Red Dead for PC. What is it Ford Fairlane would say? "Here's to you rockstar, sucking my ...." Middlefinger  
“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

1. Re: L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files Dec 15, 2017, 17:43 Cutter

Much as I don't care about VR an much as I didn't really care for this game I would actually like to try it out in VR. Walking around 1940s LA in VR would be pretty sweet. LA Confidential or Mullholland Falls come to mind.

"Rmabo. John J.? Well what do you know? Ol' Harry here's a soldier."

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo