Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 5 Montana Video

A new post on UbiBlog has details on Hope County, Montana, the setting of Far Cry 5, accompanied by a new trailer showing off gameplay in Holland Valley. The accompanying update is lengthy, so here's a bit:

THE WORLD ON YOUR TERMS
The entirety of Hope County is yours to explore however you like, whether by truck, on foot, in a helicopter, or in a plane. It also has what might be the best twist on fast-travel ever, in that you have the choice to either teleport straight to a destination, or to appear in the sky hundreds of feet above it, using your wingsuit and parachute to get around quickly and make a dramatic entrance.

There’s a lot to discover in Hope County, too; poking around its wooded trails might reveal signposts that point to places to hunt, fish, or go skydiving. Hidden prepper caches can yield piles of money and guns, but only if you can get past their puzzles, challenges, or resident wolverines. You might even discover a plaque commemorating the impossible deeds of ’70s daredevil Clutch Nixon, at which point you’ll be able to, say, re-create his literally on-fire rally run through sprinkler checkpoints that delay your inevitable explosion.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 18:09 Quinn

ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:10:

The thing is, I think that gameplay wise, FC3 is a step back from FC2. The economy in 3 and 4 is absolutely f***ed. Money is basically useless, your wallet is always full and you get all guns for free at the towers. You get the grenade launcher super early in FC4 and you're then an invincible god. I liked FC2's system way more with the gun jamming and the saving your money to get that shiny gun.

You couldn't be more right. That's exactly what I loved so much in FC2! You really wanted to look for those blood diamonds, so you'd be able to pick up the right set of reliable weapons at a safehouse for each mission.

In FC3 and 4, you'd be finding secret areas and interesting caves but absolutely nothing in there would be worth a damn. I hope they added something in 5 that makes exploring worth it again, because that's exactly what all the Far Cry's after 2 are missing.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 17:12 eRe4s3r

ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 12:10:

I also prefer FO3 over FNV

Same here, but mostly because F:NV always just felt like a mod to FO3, it did have great expansions though. But FO3 had the far better mods.

24. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 12:10 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 10:15:
Jerykk wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 04:10:
Quinn wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 12:22:
My favorite Far Cry order: 2, 3, 1, Primal, 4.

Far Cry 4 always felt like a Far Cry 3 DLC/expansion to me. I couldn't get myself to appreciate the game at all.

This game again looks like Far Cry 3 in a new setting. So far, though, it looks like I'll really love this setting.

Weird, 4 is easily better than FC3 in every way. Better enemies, better animals, better NPCs, better vehicles, better characters, better world-building, better story, more interesting terrain, better mission design. You also get the wing suit right away.

I think FC4 is in many ways the Fallout: New Vegas of the Far Cry series. FO3 left a better first impression than NV and FC3 left a better first impression than FC4. However, like FO:NV, FC4 got better the more you played it while FC3 got worse. If you didn't play much of FC4, you really ought to give it another shot.

You're 100% right, and I'd never thought about it in that way. FC4 did get better, and I remember later missions as being fun, and seriously enjoyed taking helicopters everywhere with a grenade launcher in my off-hand, just hovering and taking things out for fun.

FC3 started great, but was wearing out its welcome, and by the time I found out there was a second island I was over it. Still finished, still had fun, but I remember loving the game yet being so angry there was a second island.

For me, it's absolutely 4,3,1,2. 3 invented a new formula, 4 perfected it. We'll see what 5 does, but even a rehash will be fun for me. It'll get tiring quickly, but I would have 10 fantastic hours, if not 20, with a polished coat of paint over 4.

Well I disagree somewhat. I think that Vaas was the best character in the whole series and I think that FC3 was more focused and less all over the place than FC4 was, which made it more fun to me. It could be because I was kinda done with the FC3 formula and 4 was basically the same thing.

The thing is, I think that gameplay wise, FC3 is a step back from FC2. The economy in 3 and 4 is absolutely f***ed. Money is basically useless, your wallet is always full and you get all guns for free at the towers. You get the grenade launcher super early in FC4 and you're then an invincible god. I liked FC2's system way more with the gun jamming and the saving your money to get that shiny gun.

I also prefer FO3 over FNV

23. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 10:15 Beamer

Far Cry 4 always felt like a Far Cry 3 DLC/expansion to me. I couldn't get myself to appreciate the game at all.

This game again looks like Far Cry 3 in a new setting. So far, though, it looks like I'll really love this setting.

Weird, 4 is easily better than FC3 in every way. Better enemies, better animals, better NPCs, better vehicles, better characters, better world-building, better story, more interesting terrain, better mission design. You also get the wing suit right away.

I think FC4 is in many ways the Fallout: New Vegas of the Far Cry series. FO3 left a better first impression than NV and FC3 left a better first impression than FC4. However, like FO:NV, FC4 got better the more you played it while FC3 got worse. If you didn't play much of FC4, you really ought to give it another shot.

You're 100% right, and I'd never thought about it in that way. FC4 did get better, and I remember later missions as being fun, and seriously enjoyed taking helicopters everywhere with a grenade launcher in my off-hand, just hovering and taking things out for fun.

FC3 started great, but was wearing out its welcome, and by the time I found out there was a second island I was over it. Still finished, still had fun, but I remember loving the game yet being so angry there was a second island.

For me, it's absolutely 4,3,1,2. 3 invented a new formula, 4 perfected it. We'll see what 5 does, but even a rehash will be fun for me. It'll get tiring quickly, but I would have 10 fantastic hours, if not 20, with a polished coat of paint over 4.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 08:42 eRe4s3r

Quinn wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 07:00:

I think the major reason my verdict is as it is, is because FC3 was something very different than FC2. It was new and looked absolutely stunning back then. FC4 didn't have that... element of surprise, if you will. When I try to remember parts of FC4, it feels like I've been playing the game drunk the entire time. It was a literally forgettable experience, while I remember many details from FC3.

As I write this, I remember that I played FC4 during or right after I had moved houses. So there was a lot going on in my life. Hell, when I have time I'll give FC4 another go-around.

To be fair, not much will make you forget the ending of F3 as that was a true mind-fuck F4 on the other hand, I only remember a super annoying "boss" fight and a lot of super shitty climbing segments and a wingsuit that only allowed to fly down, but not up. (opposed to a grappling hook + wingsuit combo like in Just Cause)

21. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 07:00 Quinn

I think the major reason my verdict is as it is, is because FC3 was something very different than FC2. It was new and looked absolutely stunning back then. FC4 didn't have that... element of surprise, if you will. When I try to remember parts of FC4, it feels like I've been playing the game drunk the entire time. It was a literally forgettable experience, while I remember many details from FC3.

As I write this, I remember that I played FC4 during or right after I had moved houses. So there was a lot going on in my life. Hell, when I have time I'll give FC4 another go-around.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

20. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 17, 2017, 04:10 Jerykk

19. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 16:59 MoreLuckThanSkill

I'm with the bargain hunters who've posted so far. This game looks like more of the same, but I have enjoyed most of the Far Cry games, so I'll probably buy it on a decent sale/coupon opportunity, probably next fall-winter or so.

There is so much shit to play, quality games, that it's fine to wait a year or two for stuff you're going to play single player only, honestly.

18. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 13:05 Creston

4 was pretty awesome, though I didn't like the map as much as I did 3's. But story-wise, 4 was substantially better than 3, but that was because the idiot who wrote 3 tried to pretend that he was just providing a scathing rebuke of videogames, when in reality he just really wrote an absolutely terrible story.

Even so, I enjoy FC's gameplay and this setting looks cool. I don't have a problem with a satirized version of right-wing America there for me to mow down.

I do agree that graphically it does look significantly worse than what they initially showed at E3. This is PS4 though, from the looks of it, so hopefully the PC can boost the graphical quality quite a bit.

17. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 12:29 ItBurn

The story in Farcry 4 is probably my favorite though. It's not immediately clear after you've played the game, but when you put everything together, it's really cool. I won't get into it because spoilers.

16. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 12:22 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

15. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 11:08 eRe4s3r

Beamer wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 09:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 09:40:
Beamer wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 09:35:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 20:32:
Shit's looking mighty good and I love the unique setting but since they will fuck this up and fuck this down and fuck it all around in all holes with a season pass, welp, no buy before the GOTY hits $9.99. Fuck Ubishit.

Primal hasn't gotten there yet, so you'll be enjoying it when FC8 is out.

I see Primal for 13€

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=Primal#/page:game/price?plain=farcry3

I'll buy it at 9.99. Given that I hardly have time to game, I have no reason to spend more. There's always a $10 game waiting. Hell, I bought and installed the new Wolfenstein and haven't even loaded it up yet. Same with fallout 4, which I probably will never have time for.

Then again, my company closes Xmas to nye...

Interesting that my German location gives me a better deal there, but yeah, 9.99 for Primal is still 2 years out. Primal was also by far the only fun Far Cry since 1... for me the entire game series has become super meh, Far Cry 4 was a total snooze fest and 3 wasn't much better either... the formula is kinda dead to me

14. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 09:50 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 09:40:
Shit's looking mighty good and I love the unique setting but since they will fuck this up and fuck this down and fuck it all around in all holes with a season pass, welp, no buy before the GOTY hits $9.99. Fuck Ubishit.

I see Primal for 13€

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=Primal#/page:game/price?plain=farcryprimal

I'll buy it at 9.99. Given that I hardly have time to game, I have no reason to spend more. There's always a $10 game waiting. Hell, I bought and installed the new Wolfenstein and haven't even loaded it up yet. Same with fallout 4, which I probably will never have time for.

Then again, my company closes Xmas to nye...

-------------

13. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 09:40 eRe4s3r

I see Primal for 13€

12. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 09:35 Beamer

-------------

11. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 04:27 eRe4s3r

mellis wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 17:55:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 17:17:
I'll definitely play it, but I fail to see what's different about this game gameplay wise. Looks like just a different coat of paint.

First thing I thought when I saw the Wolverine; That looks like the honey badger from Far Cry Primal with a different skin

But it's Far Cry and they've had some solid protagonists albeit suffering from a bit too much grind sometimes in between story missions which kinda affects the momentum.

Still, will buy this time sink.

Joke being that Primal wasn't a time sink, you could (nearly) 100% it in 18 hours or less. (100% meaning cap all outposts and get all personal for the tribe + all story missions)

10. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 03:59 NamecaF

Sempai wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 03:08:
Anyone else notice how this trailer appears to be the first look at the game running actual real time code(with the inevitable downgrade in models and geometry)on whatever console platform the engines struggling to run on? The game looks like a lot of fun, but it also looks like dogshit now. Those models and facial animations, Jesus..

It's always amusing(and depressing)how great everything looks at E3, and then you begin to see the Jekyll & Hyde like transformation leading up to release as they attempt to squeeze it onto an Xbox One..

I am honestly surprised at how shit this actually looks. It looks like there's been absolutely no improvement graphically over Far Cry 4 whatsoever. In fact, some of the animations and facial expressions seem like a downgrade Confused

9. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 16, 2017, 03:08 Sempai

Anyone else notice how this trailer appears to be the first look at the game running actual real time code(with the inevitable downgrade in models and geometry)on whatever console platform the engines struggling to run on? The game looks like a lot of fun, but it also looks like dogshit now. Those models and facial animations, Jesus..

It's always amusing(and depressing)how great everything looks at E3, and then you begin to see the Jekyll & Hyde like transformation leading up to release as they attempt to squeeze it onto an Xbox One..

8. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 15, 2017, 22:53 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 22:46:
I'll definitely play it, but I fail to see what's different about this game gameplay wise. Looks like just a different coat of paint.

Pretty much. I definitely got that feeling from Primal, which is probably why I got bored of it so quickly. The Far Cry formula is getting stale. FC4 was the best one but at this point, I think they need to mix things up a lot more.

To be fair, Primal is probably the post-Farcry 1 Farcry with the most different gameplay. I got bored of it really quick too though. My favorites are in this order: 1,2,3,4... Not a good sign I guess...

7. Re: Far Cry 5 Montana Video Dec 15, 2017, 22:46 Jerykk

Pretty much. I definitely got that feeling from Primal, which is probably why I got bored of it so quickly. The Far Cry formula is getting stale. FC4 was the best one but at this point, I think they need to mix things up a lot more.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo