Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a fine old time at The Last Jedi last night. I saw comments here from a couple of others who saw it already suggesting they felt it didn't live up to the hype, but I think I had more moderate expectations going in, so there was less cause for disappointment. I enjoyed the movie and I am very happy to have seen it so early, just so I don't have to worry about spoilers.

Hyped Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Crazy Pig Simulator.
Links: Best TV Shows Of 2017 - NPR. Thanks RedEye9.
Stories: 'Youthquake' named word of year by Oxford Dictionaries.
UPS Lost Man's $700,000 Inheritance and Offered Him $32.
Size does matter: wine glasses are seven times larger than they used to be. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Record Breaker! 8th Alien Planet Found Around Distant Star.
Media: STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2 (Honest Game Trailers).
LLNL Atmospheric Nuclear Tests. Newly declassified. Thanks Hypothermia.
Follow-up: Here are the films and TV shows Disney would get from Fox. Says FF is indeed included.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 15:45 Mr. Tact

This discussion reminds me of one of my "fun" stories. When I was setting up the finances to buy my house (get a mortgage) one of the things I did was sell a residential lot I owned which I had been planning to build on, but decided otherwise. Anyway, at the closing for the lot the guy brought a check written from a business account, not a cashier's check. This was a problem for me because I wanted/needed the money for my down payment and the close for the house I was buying was happening Monday, this was Thursday. The check would not clear in time.

So, I went to the bank the business account was from, signed the back of the check, and gave it to a cashier along with my driver's license. The cashier initially started to process the check, but then he noticed the amount, $38,000, and literally froze. He stood there frozen for a good 20 seconds at least, clearly thinking, and then said to me, "Did you want this in cash?" I almost laughed out loud, but I managed to hold back and say, "I'll take cash, but a cashier's check would be fine too."

He called someone, (presumably his manager) who called a third person, and they huddled for a minute or two discussing the situation. From what I could gather, apparently the buyer had transferred money from another account into the business account to cover this check. But the transfer had not processed yet. Normally, that transfer would process before the check came in, but in this case it had not. They eventually concluded, the money the account was coming from was there, so they knew the transfer would work. So, the decided they would allow me to take a cashier's check on the amount.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 14:41 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 14:13:
Well that's silly. Designating a check to deposit to a specific account is something you would think the banks would like for security reasons...

It's difficult to implement that though and would mean items would actually take longer to clear (on average) because they would have to be manually processed. They use drafts and certified checks for large transactions because the funds need to be verified quickly and they are treated as cash. Also banks are dumb and sometimes just deposit things regardless of having instructions, names or even signatures.

Banks make everything more annoying, account to account transfer should be accessible, near-instant and verifiable for everyone but of course they all love their walled gardens.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

40. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 14:13 Mr. Tact

Well that's silly. Designating a check to deposit to a specific account is something you would think the banks would like for security reasons...  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2017, 13:46 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 22:26:
Seems to me someone was being stupid. I absolutely guarantee you I can move any amount of money you want by check, across the country, safely, even if the package disappears. Just use a certified bank check (also called a cashier's check) and have it made out for deposit only to the bank account of whomever you are sending the money to. If the package disappears, have the bank void the check, and issue another. Easy, peasy.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Errr but that's exactly what was done. You can't specify the depositors account number with drafts in Canada, they are treated as cash. If you want that done you have to use a wire and those have their own set of security issues. Everything else was already done as you described. The issue is that bank is refusing to void the draft without security and UPS is claiming it was just lost. The draft itself could be cashed if it was ever "found" so the bank is just digging in its heels. This is no surprise to anyone who has dealt with TD though.

Playing: Renovate My Kitchen
Watching: MI Fallout, Deadpool 2, House

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2017, 02:26 Asmodai

2.5 hours of cringe with a few valid highlights that did nothing to make it worthwhile...

When you think that this is supposed to sit analogous to Empire Strikes Back (which is still my favourite for the entire series), I'm at a loss for words how anyone could go see this screened after directing it and think to themselves "Yep, I'm satisfied"...

37. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 22:26 Mr. Tact

Seems to me someone was being stupid. I absolutely guarantee you I can move any amount of money you want by check, across the country, safely, even if the package disappears. Just use a certified bank check (also called a cashier's check) and have it made out for deposit only to the bank account of whomever you are sending the money to. If the package disappears, have the bank void the check, and issue another. Easy, peasy.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 21:38 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 17:51:
When seeing as it was UPS' fault to begin with they should have been responsible.

All carriers protect themselves against things like this, fraud is bad as-is, it would be historic if they just paid up. People try this shit all the time, jewelry, or pack fragile keepsakes like total armatures and the goods break in-transit. They are clear on money back guarantee on shipping and only up to $100 for lost/damaged items. There are limits to buying insurance, but you basically have to be a company who consistently ships goods with tested shipping materials. Shipping small packages wouldn't work any other way, fraud would destroy it.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 20:30 Slick

David wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 19:34:
Not sure why the "Mary Poppins in deep space" complaints from the movie. "Mary Poppins" was using the Force and it's science fiction, so what's the problem?

Yeah I agree, and it "runs in the family". I'm going to run back to the spoiler thread before someone gets mad.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 19:34 David

Not sure why the "Mary Poppins in deep space" complaints from the movie. "Mary Poppins" was using the Force and it's science fiction, so what's the problem?  

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 19:04 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 18:33:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 18:02:
DangerDog wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 15:05:
You guys need to understand that Star Wars is for little children, it's not for adults and never has been.

/looks at run time

I'd like to see the six year old kid after spending 2:32 min in a theater, and even better would be the parent that actually thought that would be just fine along with the fried nerves of everyone around them.

As for the reviews, something seems fishy on IMDB when you click on the user reviews you can't find a single 10 yet it's running and 8.1 score.

I can't blame "professional" review critics for fawning over Disney's money machine that they're desperate to prop up, given the recent acquisitions it could mean and end of your carrier if you don't play along nice with the Mouse Empire.
The movie is PG 13, so not for little kids. Also it's full of raw emotion and violence. It's probably the most intense Star Wars movie ever made. I thought it was excellent, definitely good enough to overcome a few flaws.

so where would you rank this in the star wars pantheon? first reactions make it sound like it was the savior of the series, like Empire, but i highly doubted that. now its RT score is plummeting and frankly i've found i trust the audience score more than the critics' score. i'll be shocked if it's better than rogue one, which was an excellent adventure film but still very flawed.

I would put it right below the original trilogy. I like Rogue One, but the characters in that movie just aren't very interesting or charismatic. This one is on par story wise with better characters that have actual chemistry.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 18:45 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 12:25:
The morning after I have to admit I'm thinking about the movie alot more than I thought I would.

If Blue wants to open up a SPOILER SW thread at some point I'd love to talk about it. Not just the dumb part(s), but the REALLY GENUINELUY FUCKING COOL parts too.

I started a spoiler thread here.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 18:33 1badmf

You guys need to understand that Star Wars is for little children, it's not for adults and never has been.

/looks at run time

I'd like to see the six year old kid after spending 2:32 min in a theater, and even better would be the parent that actually thought that would be just fine along with the fried nerves of everyone around them.

As for the reviews, something seems fishy on IMDB when you click on the user reviews you can't find a single 10 yet it's running and 8.1 score.

I can't blame "professional" review critics for fawning over Disney's money machine that they're desperate to prop up, given the recent acquisitions it could mean and end of your carrier if you don't play along nice with the Mouse Empire.
The movie is PG 13, so not for little kids. Also it's full of raw emotion and violence. It's probably the most intense Star Wars movie ever made. I thought it was excellent, definitely good enough to overcome a few flaws.

so where would you rank this in the star wars pantheon? first reactions make it sound like it was the savior of the series, like Empire, but i highly doubted that. now its RT score is plummeting and frankly i've found i trust the audience score more than the critics' score. i'll be shocked if it's better than rogue one, which was an excellent adventure film but still very flawed.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 18:26 DangerDog

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 18:12:
If you like this one then you'll definitely like the next one. Quentin Tarantino just signed on as director.

While that actually might be a good match, JJ Abrams is directing the next Star Wars movie. Quentin would like to do a Star Trek movie.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 18:23 DangerDog

Sorry for the lack of sarcasm tags

Don't you just hate it when you go to argue something wrong with a Star Wars movie and people throw up the hand and say "Star Wars is for little kids".

Of course the whole thing is fantasy but I think people are a little more sophisticated in terms of seeing things that are completely beyond the realm of acceptable fantasy tolerances so as to take you out of the immersion of the universe. There are certain rules, even unwritten rules that you just shouldn't break.

Superman flying through the void of deep space, acceptable. Mary Poppins flying through deep space, not so much.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 18:12 RedEye9

If you like this one then you'll definitely like the next one. Quentin Tarantino just signed on as director.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 18:02 jdreyer

/looks at run time

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 17:51 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 17:28:
Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 14:36:
They didn't offer him $32, they refunded that to him as it was the cost to deliver the cheque.

Yeah, that headline is misleading... a check that vanishes basically means you get another check from the person/business issuing it, and they stop payment on the lost check. What the fuck did they think, that UPS would suddenly shell out 700 grand? Although their negative press did get the bank to issue another check without too much hassle, so it ended well at least.

Re:Star Wars, I'm going to see it on Monday, I may just need to avoid the internet entirely to avoid spoilers.

Actually it was a huge amount of hassle. This went on for 10 months apparently. The biggest mistake they made was not going straight to a lawyer. The bank wouldn't give them the money unless they indemnified the bank AND put their house up as collateral. When seeing as it was UPS' fault to begin with they should have been responsible. And it was the fucking bank that told them to get a draft to begin with. Why the fuck would anyone get a draft these days unless you're sending money to somewhere they don't have a bank? Electronic fund transfers for the win. Hi and welcome to the 21st century. Christ it's like how so many businesses still use fax machines.

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 17:39 RedEye9

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 17:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 16:34:
Alabama has the worst poverty in the developed world
Yep. I lived in Montgomery for 3.5 years. And while I only witnessed this level of poverty twice personally, the existence of people living this way is common knowledge down there. I've told people for years "it is a different world down there". But few people realize how different it is...
But they have Beautiful beaches. Alabamans are happy Mississippi is close by, it keeps them from looking so bad.

There's a fool-proof way to tell if something a conservative/right-wing/Republican said is true or not. If they call it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 17:35 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 16:34:
Alabama has the worst poverty in the developed world
Yep. I lived in Montgomery for 3.5 years. And while I only witnessed this level of poverty twice personally, the existence of people living this way is common knowledge down there. I've told people for years "it is a different world down there". But few people realize how different it is...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 17:28 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 14:36:
They didn't offer him $32, they refunded that to him as it was the cost to deliver the cheque.

Yeah, that headline is misleading... a check that vanishes basically means you get another check from the person/business issuing it, and they stop payment on the lost check. What the fuck did they think, that UPS would suddenly shell out 700 grand? Although their negative press did get the bank to issue another check without too much hassle, so it ended well at least.

Re:Star Wars, I'm going to see it on Monday, I may just need to avoid the internet entirely to avoid spoilers.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo