Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 16, 2017, 04:23 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 12:10:
Beamer wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 08:24:
Can someone give a name of an actual battle royale mod?

I'm not saying they don't exist, I just don't recall any having this gameplay. Odds are, when you name one, I'll slap my hand to my forehead and go "ooooh yeah," so this is more about nostalgia for me, but part of me finds it odd everyone keeps saying it existed but no one can name it.

Again, though, I fall on the side of billions of games ripping off Doom but id not whining about it (they did license the engine, so they profited off many of those, but still.)

I don't know about any of the mods, but UT has had a Last Man Standing mode for 15 years.

HL1 also had last man standing mode (you could set respawn lives to 1), so dates back at least 20 years. The early CS alpha also had this.

That CS alpha also had permanent weapons, so you could drop a weapon and lay traps and they persisted over rounds. Something you can not do in PUBG or the normal CS:S anymore

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2017, 14:02 Prez

The first Battle Royale mod I remember was for Starcraft 2 of all things. Came out ages ago.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2017, 12:10 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 08:24:

I'm not saying they don't exist, I just don't recall any having this gameplay. Odds are, when you name one, I'll slap my hand to my forehead and go "ooooh yeah," so this is more about nostalgia for me, but part of me finds it odd everyone keeps saying it existed but no one can name it.

Again, though, I fall on the side of billions of games ripping off Doom but id not whining about it (they did license the engine, so they profited off many of those, but still.)

I don't know about any of the mods, but UT has had a Last Man Standing mode for 15 years.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

34. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2017, 08:24 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2017, 08:20 Kris Redbeard

Battle Royale
A Quake mod that did it, complete with stepping forward to collect your random backpack.
Hell, I made a SoF2 mod that would made everyone spawn with a random weapon in a random location in a last man standing situation.
Nothing new there.

In-game lobby.
See Natural Selection did this years ago.

Parachuting into the game from a plane or similar.
BF1942, several Half-Life mods etc did this.

I can't really think of anything it has that you could consider unique.

Not that that is a bad thing.
If millions of people are buying it and enjoying themselves, be happy with that and move on.

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

32. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2017, 05:17 yonder

Creston wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 11:22:
I take it you're not aware the guy actually MADE the Battle Royale theme. So he has some legitimacy here. Even so, he still just comes off as a whiner.

There's a reason you said "Battle Royale theme" and not "PUBG theme"...

Cuz it's an already long-established idea. He didn't come up with anything except the specific combo of already-existing ideas.

I played mods just like it nearly 20 years ago.

31. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 15, 2017, 00:13 eRe4s3r

SirKnight wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 14:01:
Jagacademy wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 12:41:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 12:31:

the fact is pretty obvious that PUBG just hit gold out of pure luck.

It's actually an interesting phenomenon. If you look at most wealthy and/or successful people, pure luck is responsible for the overwhelming majority of them. If one minor thing hadn't gone their way, none of it would have come to fruition.

It's not luck or a phenomenon. There is no such thing as luck or coincidences (your last statement actually hints at this). These are terms thrown around by those who can not see the big picture. Everything happens for a reason. There is no luck or chance.

Well if you wanna debate chaos theory and quantum mechanics, this is totally the wrong forum It is true that nothing is truly random in a chaotic environment except quantum mechanics, but this game could have not have become what it is 5/10/15/20 years ago. Technology, situation, society and market demand needed all to align and while all these factors were sourced in predictable sources the reality is that from an onlooking perspective they are in fact, luck. Meaning anyone could have done it in that same situation with the same variables, the dude was lucky. Without the twitch craze of the past 2-3 years PUBG would also not have had nearly the impact. So yeah, nothing really random about that, but still, it was luck.

We can only be thankful this isn't a EA game. And that too is luck.

30. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 23:01 Rigs

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 19:08:

It's actually an interesting phenomenon. If you look at most wealthy and/or successful people, pure luck is responsible for the overwhelming majority of them. If one minor thing hadn't gone their way, none of it would have come to fruition.

It's not luck or a phenomenon. There is no such thing as luck or coincidences (your last statement actually hints at this). These are terms thrown around by those who can not see the big picture. Everything happens for a reason. There is no luck or chance.

Quantum mechanics says otherwise. Virtually everything that happens at the subatomic level is random, and no specific event can be predicted. I'll put my money on the view with a base of solid evidence, rather than some idealogue's unsupported statement.

Everything that's happened has happened before and will happen again. I'll take my full series dvds of Battlestar Galactica over this 'quantum mechanics' technobabble any day of the week!

=-Rigs-=

29. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 14, 2017, 22:02 Prez

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 19:06:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 19:03:
Darks wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 10:23:
Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 09:29:
Wow Playerunknown seems to have less and less of a clue every time he opens his mouth.

Yea, right prez. Thats why hes sold over 20 million copies of his game. I guess he has no fucking clue right!!!

McDonald's sold lots of burgers, but that doesn't make them good burgers, nor does it make McDonald's a good restaurant.

Yeah, just because he's too fucking stupid to understand what he's saying himself doesn't mean the game is stupid. That was a really stupid comment, Darks.

Indeed was a very dumb comment. But in the interest of spreading good cheer for the holidays (or at least not spreading "bad cheer"...) I chose not to respond.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

28. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 14, 2017, 19:08 Stormsinger

Quantum mechanics says otherwise. Virtually everything that happens at the subatomic level is random, and no specific event can be predicted. I'll put my money on the view with a base of solid evidence, rather than some idealogue's unsupported statement.

27. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 14, 2017, 19:06 Cutter

Stormsinger wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 19:03:
Wow Playerunknown seems to have less and less of a clue every time he opens his mouth.

Yea, right prez. Thats why hes sold over 20 million copies of his game. I guess he has no fucking clue right!!!

McDonald's sold lots of burgers, but that doesn't make them good burgers, nor does it make McDonald's a good restaurant.

Yeah, just because he's too fucking stupid to understand what he's saying himself doesn't mean the game is stupid. That was a really stupid comment, Darks.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

26. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 14, 2017, 19:03 Stormsinger

25. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 18:20 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 17:52:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 14:27:
If games got better protection from copycats, PUBG wouldn't exist since id Software would have a monopoly on FPS games.
Dayum, you conversation killer.
And who said the odyssey, ya'll must be a hoot at xmas parties.

You could literally hear the mic drop.

If Star Citizen was a child conceived in a night of passion, it would have started elementary school by now. -panbient

24. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 17:52 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 14:27:
If games got better protection from copycats, PUBG wouldn't exist since id Software would have a monopoly on FPS games.
Dayum, you conversation killer.
And who said the odyssey, ya'll must be a hoot at xmas parties.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

23. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 17:34 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 17:04:

If money/business success was a measure of intelligence, Trump would be the founder of MENSA. Your move.

In fact, business success is only an indicator that you might be knowledgeable about how to succeed in business. Might...

Or were born rich.
Or got very lucky (which could be #1)
Or were willing to take a chance (which could be a sign of intelligence, or could be a sign of stupidity.)

Like you said, "might." Plenty of very, very stupid people out there got very wealthy. Plenty of very smart people are poor.
Though there's likely a better correlation between intelligence and wealth than hard work and wealth.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 17:04 Eirikrautha

If money/business success was a measure of intelligence, Trump would be the founder of MENSA. Your move.

In fact, business success is only an indicator that you might be knowledgeable about how to succeed in business. Might...

21. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 16:48 Jagacademy

Odyssey, I like that.  

20. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 16:29 Cutter

"In movies and music there is IP protection and you can really look after your work. In gaming that doesn't exist yet, and it's something that should be looked into.

Wow, this guy is so stupid it's literally painful to read. He's a classic example of the adage it's better to be lucky than smart because he just dumb as a sack full of hammers. Nevermind the fact he's never spoken to a lawyer or business manager to understand why "style" can't be protected - and shouldn't be. He's never picked up a history book either. Battle Royales - grand melees - have been around forever. They have literally been around since pre-recorded history. The phrase "battle royale" itself was first cited in the fucking 1600s.

Please, stop posting any news related to this moron because I actually feel dumber every time I hear that clown open his stupid mouth. If you give that asshole money you're an even bigger asshole.

"They call me a chauvinist pig. I am . . . and I don't give a damn!" - Steve McQueen

19. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 15:58 Rilcon

Pretty sure last man standing DM goes back to Doom days.  

18. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 15:29 NewMaxx

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 11:55:
Battle Royale is a Japanese movie.

Novel came a year earlier. Of course Minecraft had the mode before even DayZ, but if people want to argue that DayZ was the first truly in that style (or first "shooter" as such) then they'd still be wrong as Brendan Greene (PU) was not the guy who made the Arma 2 mod, it was Dean Hall. The Battle Royale mod/variant of that was indeed made by PU - who at the time admitted he was directly influenced by the movie. So we're gone full circle as he leveraged not one but two properties he had nothing to do with...so apparently combining two original ideas into one does not qualify as copying.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo