Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced

A new Mech_Con 2017 trailer for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries offers a look at Piranha Games' upcoming continuation of the mech combat series. They use the occasion to say to expect a release by the end of 2018 and reveal that the game will include co-op multiplayer for up to four players and mod support for the Steam Workshop. Here are all the details:

Piranha Games announced tonight at Mech_Con that the upcoming and highly anticipated MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will feature four-player co-op and full modding and Steam Workshop support, and during the keynote speech at the event revealed all-new gameplay footage showcasing a variety of ‘Mechs in combat on a selection of biomes to be featured in the final game, set to launch in late 2018 (www.mw5mercs.com).

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries features intense PvE ‘Mech combat in an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Featuring an advancing timeline starting in the year 3015, players will adopt the role of a new MechWarrior mercenary thrust into leadership of a mercenary squad as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere; the vast region of colonized space surrounding Earth. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the maintenance and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

The game’s newly-announced co-op functionality will enable players to host up to three friends inside their campaign universe, running missions together as a coordinated lance under the banner of the host’s mercenary unit.

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will also receive full mod support, empowering fans to customize their own missions, contracts, planetary systems, biomes, and much more, via powerful toolsets and Steam Workshop integration.

The feature announcements and new gameplay footage were unveiled at Mech_Con 2017, an annual celebration of all things MechWarrior and BattleTech. Hosted by Piranha Games and featuring a variety of partners – each with a deep history of involvement in the beloved franchise – and attended by fans from around the world, the evening was capped off by an exciting conclusion to the first-ever MechWarrior Online World Championship Finals, where two teams of eight duked it out on the battlefield for their shot at the World Championship title and a share of the prize pool.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 12, 2017, 00:39 Peter M. Smith

Orogogus wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 14:23:
Yeah, a stock 3025 Shadow Hawk is heat neutral, and can't generate any heat barring damage or special environmental conditions.

The SHD-2D disagrees with you, but the -2H and -2K both think you're a good dude.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. No subject Dec 11, 2017, 23:19 Mashiki Amiketo

Orogogus wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 14:23:
Yeah, a stock 3025 Shadow Hawk is heat neutral, and can't generate any heat barring damage or special environmental conditions. I'm pretty sure heat is that bar to the right of the radar, since the number above it is denoted in degrees.
Bingo! You caught that one right off.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

39. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 19:12 Beamer

For comparison, here is an open world city Xbox game for those who want to see how this looks relative to an original Xbox game.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

38. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 18:32 chickenboo

Definitely looking forward to this. The graphics aren't spectacular but that's not so important so long as they nail the gameplay.  

37. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 14:23 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 14:15:
Was there any heat management? Maybe they haven't implemented it yet? Or maybe it just didn't trigger because that Shadowhawk was kitted with autocannon and LRMs. Maybe it's the graph next to the radar, hard to tell.

Yeah, a stock 3025 Shadow Hawk is heat neutral, and can't generate any heat barring damage or special environmental conditions. I'm pretty sure heat is that bar to the right of the radar, since the number above it is denoted in degrees.

36. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 14:15 jdreyer

Rigs wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 19:46:
Ten minutes of gameplay (some of it you see in the trailer) here...

Some things are cool but, yeah, the graphics need some work. Are Piranha Games and Piranha Bites the same dev? (I mean, I could Google it but meh) I wonder because I've been trying to get into ELEX and...wow, it's, um, pretty lousy. Maybe I shouldn't have tried playing it in downtime between Prey playthroughs...lol...

=-Rigs-=

Nice gameplay vid.

Was there any heat management? Maybe they haven't implemented it yet? Or maybe it just didn't trigger because that Shadowhawk was kitted with autocannon and LRMs. Maybe it's the graph next to the radar, hard to tell.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

35. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 14:04 jdreyer

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 21:49:
I guess I'm getting older and just don't give a shit about graphics as much as I care about how much fun I get out of playing a game. I find most games these days to be shallow and linear. So, I'd prefer more resources went in to making the game fun and enjoyable than "ZOMG! TOTES PHOTOREALISTIC ON 48 TITAN Vs in SLI! 27 WHOLE minutes of original gameplay content!"

Though this looks to be a bit twitch oriented. I miss the heavy, plodding death machines of 2 and 3.

I'm with you, I think the graphics look fine, orders of magnitude better than the previous games.

I'm surprised people are saying this looks twitchy or "FPS in a robot suit." The gameplay looks about what I remember from previous games, and if you watch old gameplay vids, doesn't look faster or twitchier, IMO.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

34. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 13:54 Peter M. Smith

Flatline wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 12:48:
It's a lot of fun. Probably... 75-80% faithful to the tabletop. Most of the changes I understand and agree/am fine with. Some I have issues with. Nothing is a show stopper for me.

What did you have an issue with?

33. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 12:48 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 17:38:
If they nailed the gameplay who cares about the graphics. What's up with that turned based Battletech game though? Is that out yet?

It's on it's way. They cooked the game post-beta for quite a while longer than anyone was expecting. Part of that was the multiplayer code not being up to snuff.

It's a lot of fun. Probably... 75-80% faithful to the tabletop. Most of the changes I understand and agree/am fine with. Some I have issues with. Nothing is a show stopper for me.

Plus, from what I've heard from interviews, Harebrained is promising a hell of a SP experience. We'll see if they can keep up with that.

32. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 10:28 Zor

DangerDog wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 14:35:
Looks like a game from ten years ago. They're really impressed with that one destructible building animation they have in the game, it sticks out though when it always looks exactly the same every time.

I mean shouldn't this be the target for actual gameplay in 2018?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC2lsZU_Y4A

That game still looks way better imo. They captured the sense of weight and scale almost perfectly.

31. No subject Dec 11, 2017, 09:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Kajetan wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 08:17:
Yes, the funny thing is, japanese courts ruled that Harmony Gold DID NOT have any controlling rights on Macross/Robotech whatsoever. US copyright office says, they do have for a limited time.

It's a giant clusterfuck of inconsistent, contradicting licensing contracts. Its better to ignore those fuckers, make new designs and let them DO NOT HAVE ANY royalties from any Battletech product. Their loss, they could have achieved easy agreements with FASA or later with Catalyst. Instead they sued anyone ...
It's further then that, Harmony Gold by arbitration explicitly waived rights to ownership, that also makes their rights invalid in other jurisdictions since the original owners hold claim. If you can read JP and whatnot you can read the original arbitration and certification, the kicker is the "waive all rights and control in all jurisdictions" pure trolling on their part.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Dec 11, 2017, 09:55 Primalchrome

Kajetan wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 05:57:
Piranha has all the sanctioned designs. No more legal hassle with the Macross rights owners, with Harmony Gold and others over "illegal" mech designs.
Sadly, Harmony Gold released a pathetic attack on PGI, Harebrained, and one of the old FASA founders in 2017 when PGI released the re-imagined 'Unseen' mechs. (rifleman, marauder, archer, phoenix hawk, etc..) Personally I think they did a great job on the models...they have a flavor that harkens back to the originals, but the look much different.

Not sure if the HG suit was dismissed or not....it was a shitfest and didn't look like it would go anywhere.

29. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Dec 11, 2017, 08:17 Kajetan

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 07:44:
That whole shitstorm, they should simply sue the living fuck out of Harmony Gold for being patent trolls. Maybe setup some good precedent and all that.
Yes, the funny thing is, japanese courts ruled that Harmony Gold DID NOT have any controlling rights on Macross/Robotech whatsoever. US copyright office says, they do have for a limited time.

It's a giant clusterfuck of inconsistent, contradicting licensing contracts. Its better to ignore those fuckers, make new designs and let them DO NOT HAVE ANY royalties from any Battletech product. Their loss, they could have achieved easy agreements with FASA or later with Catalyst. Instead they sued anyone ...

28. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 08:15 Darks

I've waited a long time for a Coop to finally be added to Mechwarrior.

And, yes, I made the Coop mods for the older Mechwarrior and Mercenaries years ago.

Cant wait for this now.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

27. No subject Dec 11, 2017, 07:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Kajetan wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 05:57:

b) Piranha has all the sanctioned designs. No more legal hassle with the Macross rights owners, with Harmony Gold and others over "illegal" mech designs.
That whole shitstorm, they should simply sue the living fuck out of Harmony Gold for being patent trolls. Maybe setup some good precedent and all that.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Dec 11, 2017, 05:57 Kajetan

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 05:23:
I should add they leveraged a connection with Piranha (this dev) for 'Mech models.
Which is a good thing because ...

a) All Mechs have a consistent design.
b) Piranha has all the sanctioned designs. No more legal hassle with the Macross rights owners, with Harmony Gold and others over "illegal" mech designs.

25. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 05:23 NewMaxx

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 17:38:
If they nailed the gameplay who cares about the graphics. What's up with that turned based Battletech game though? Is that out yet?

I'm a backer. They just recently added multiplayer (PVP) to the beta. No story/campaign regardless. The tactical gameplay is pretty decent but promises on campaign are just that: promises. Still, I'm hopeful, being a fan of their Shadowrun games. I should add they leveraged a connection with Piranha (this dev) for 'Mech models.

24. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 05:18 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 14:35:
Looks like a game from ten years ago.

Sounds good to me.

23. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 04:05 bigspender

co-op?
F-YEAH sold.

22. No subject Dec 11, 2017, 00:34 Mashiki Amiketo

RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 22:26:
I won't touch anything by Piranha. Very sleezy dev.
That's okay. Everyone else that's been waiting since MW4 was put up on a shelf and wanting something new will play it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo