Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We're getting our first snow of the season right now, which is an odd one, since this storm started in the deep south before heading our way. It's been a very mild autumn in this part of the northeast, where I often joke about how short or non-existent the transitory seasons of spring and fall tend to be. This storm is the real deal, though, so I'll probably have to dust off the show shovel and do some work. This makes perfect sense, as winter is less than two weeks away, but the moderate weather allowed me to ignore this fact before this cold slap in the face.

Snowy Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: ReBounce.
Link: A New Optical Illusion Was Just Discovered, And It's Breaking Our Brains.
Science: This year’s flu season is upon us—and it looks bad. Here’s what you should know.
What Doctors Should Ignore. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: HeroStorm Ep33 Lunarhahahaha.
Santa Claus is coming to.....
Citizen journalist enthusiastically reports local house fire (NSFW).
Follow-up: What Happens When You Microwave a Boiled Egg. Thanks j.c.f.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2017, 05:18 Peeeling

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 16:15:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 15:32:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 15:16:
That optical illusion is "breaking their brains"?

Its really fucking simple. the lines are shaded differently in the alternating rows, and when the split between the shades is at the apex of the curve, the lines appear straighter than the ones that are not split on the apex of the curves. The shaded sections being in the straighter areas instead of the curved areas gives the illusion. Took all of 5 seconds to realize whats going on there.. not very "brain breaking", but I guess it's just a clickbait headline.

Not all brains are created equal.

Screw the cool optical illusion, this is the real thing to read on digg http://digg.com/2017/ajit-pai-ron-swanson-net-neutrality

The point wasn't that they look different, it's that they ONLY look different when viewed against a grey background, not a white or black background.

Personally I think it happens because against the mid-grey background the 'sharp' lines look as though they could be the highlights and shadows of an embossing, and because they're uniformly light and dark with a hard transition, that tells our brain "even brightness = straight line = hard angles"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2017, 12:28 RedEye9

The flu article learned me lots.  

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2017, 21:31 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 14:46:
I call bullshit that an exploding egg in your mouth can't cause hearing damage. #AllEarsAreNotEqual
IMO, it's not the decibel level they should be checking, but how both the sound and pressure affect the eardrum after traveling internally through the sinuses.

Stay a while, and listen.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2017, 20:09 jdreyer

PSA: If you have a keyless fob for your car, keep it in a cookie tin with the lid on.  

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 9, 2017, 19:16 jdreyer

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 16:55:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 15:17:
So I can't begin to imagine what it's going to do in NY. Better pull out those foot warmers and good luck!

This is the view from my apartment as of an hour ago. The New Yorkers around me today seemed non-plussed, but as a native Californian seeing my first New York winter, it felt like a lot of snow.

Northeasterner here. When the plows pile it up on the corner and it's over your head, that's when you know you've got a lot of snow.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2017, 19:13 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 16:15:

Screw the cool optical illusion, this is the real thing to read on digg http://digg.com/2017/ajit-pai-ron-swanson-net-neutrality

OMG, total destruction.

Not that it's very hard when Pai is involved. He's definitely taken the top "most punchable face" spot from Shkreli.

9. Re: Optical Illusions Dec 9, 2017, 18:52 Mr. Tact

The cool thing about these things is they happen in your brain. You eyes see it just fine, but the brain attempts to interpret the image and takes shortcuts based on passed experience. The shaded square on the checked board is an great example.

shaded checkered board illusion

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 9, 2017, 18:44 RedEye9

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 16:55:
This is the view from my apartment as of an hour ago. The New Yorkers around me today seemed non-plussed, but as a native Californian seeing my first New York winter, it felt like a lot of snow.
Looks like a lite dusting to me. you do know that photo shows exactly where you live, so if you're hiding from an angry ex you might want to blur the street name. ;-)

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 9, 2017, 16:55 Scottish Martial Arts

Acleacius wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 15:17:
So I can't begin to imagine what it's going to do in NY. Better pull out those foot warmers and good luck!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2017, 16:43 Cutter

Yeah, I'm watching the Army v. Navy game in Philly and it's snowing like hell there. Looks like we'll get a few light flurries starting this eve but the first real snowfall on Monday. Next week looks like a lot.

“I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END.” - Miranda Hart

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2017, 16:15 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 9, 2017, 15:32:

Its really fucking simple. the lines are shaded differently in the alternating rows, and when the split between the shades is at the apex of the curve, the lines appear straighter than the ones that are not split on the apex of the curves. The shaded sections being in the straighter areas instead of the curved areas gives the illusion. Took all of 5 seconds to realize whats going on there.. not very "brain breaking", but I guess it's just a clickbait headline.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2017, 15:32 jdreyer

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2017, 15:17 Acleacius

Yes, we had snow here in Austin a couple days ago. Not only extremely rare for early Dec, but it had been raining, was 40F degrees and the snow was still sticking. Amazed

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2017, 15:16 Mordecai Walfish

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2017, 14:46 RedEye9

I call bullshit that an exploding egg in your mouth can't cause hearing damage. #AllEarsAreNotEqual

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo