Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

WIRED - Videogames Are Award-Worthy—But They Don't Need Award Shows.
"The problem is that videogames are inherently an unstable medium. What it means to "create" a videogame is constantly in flux, and the staggering breadth of options available to game creators—in terms of technology, style, and content—continues to expand. Instead of than being one medium, the videogame industry is recombinant, pulling together elements of film, music, installation art, even theme park design, all held together by the duct tape of creative vision. You can see this tension in the genre divisions within The Game Awards' categories: what differentiates "Best Action Game" from "Best Action/Adventure Game"? Why is there one category for mobile games but none for any other platform? And what does the existence of a "Best Independent Game" award say about the relationship between independent and big-budget gaming?"

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Op Ed Dec 10, 2017, 10:25 Red886

WIRED is shit. Might be decent a long time ago.....  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Op Ed Dec 9, 2017, 13:02 jdreyer

rawbelly wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 23:58:
We don't need WIRED either. Worthless magazine.

Ooo! Edgy!

Stay a while, and listen.

4. Re: Op Ed Dec 8, 2017, 23:58 rawbelly

We don't need WIRED either. Worthless magazine.  

3. Re: Op Ed Dec 8, 2017, 18:34 Flatline

I'm going to go the other direction. If playing video games is considered a fucking professional sport then video games get award shows. As many as they want, because we've already passed stupid ideas and gone into "Fuck it we're doomed" territory.  

2. Re: Op Ed Dec 8, 2017, 18:25 Cutter

Nothing needs an award show. Especially fucking actors who already have a few dozen a year. Rolleyes

“I have written the only diet book that I believe needs to exist, and here it is: CHAPTER ONE: Eat a bit less. CHAPTER TWO: Move about a bit more. THE END.” - Miranda Hart

1. Re: Op Ed Dec 8, 2017, 17:48 Slick

Hmm... isn't there an Academy award for best independent something something? I'm probably wrong...  

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo