Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Witchfire Announced

The Astronauts announce Witchfire an Unreal Engine 4 shooter. This sounds like a departure from the developer behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, so the studio's three cofounders remind us of their tenures at People Can Fly, where they helped create Painkiller and Bulletstorm. Here's a teaser trailer and here some details:

Also, as you can see in the teaser, Witchfire uses the photogrammetry tech we previously used in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. This tech allows us to 3D scan real-life objects even entire buildings! and use them as digital assets in our games for unparalleled visual quality, and natural, organic look and feel. We believe we can push the tech even further, with new tools, hardware, and all the experience we gathered during the development of our first game.

You can read our blog post on the photogrammetry tech here.

View
12. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 18:10 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 16:03:
Huge Painkiller fan and I also really like Ethan Carter, so I'm pretty excited for this.

As for co-op, the Build engine games had full co-op with absolutely no sacrifices made anywhere. That was a long time ago and it was even harder to do back then because of much greater limitations. The only reason co-op is so rare these days is because of arbitrary decisions made by developers.

I worked for an AAA dev, and in a meeting they told me that they wouldn't do full co-op because it was impossible... I told them that it was possible and that's literally all it took for them to change their mind and implement it.

Edit: by arbitrary choice, I meant choose/build an engine that supports co-op natively, and then actually support it.

There are going to be sacrifices made that have nothing to do with performance depending on the content you want in the game when going co-op versus single player. Especially if you were to do something like branching storylines which alter the gameworld in significant ways. Or even killing a particular NPC who offers something unique etc.

There will always be some kind of sacrifice made to accommodate two or more individuals who may do any random thing at any random time which could majorly ruin the fun (or ability to continue) of the other person.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 8, 12:34 Re: Witchfire Announced Creston
  2. Dec 8, 12:45  Re: Witchfire Announced Nullity
  3. Dec 8, 13:41   Re: Witchfire Announced Slashman
  4. Dec 8, 14:09    Re: Witchfire Announced Nullity
  6. Dec 8, 15:01     Re: Witchfire Announced Slashman
  7. Dec 8, 15:11      Re: Witchfire Announced CJ_Parker
  9. Dec 8, 15:34       Re: Witchfire Announced Nullity
  8. Dec 8, 15:26      Re: Witchfire Announced Nullity
  10. Dec 8, 15:47     Re: Witchfire Announced Osc8r
  5. Dec 8, 14:10  Re: Witchfire Announced CJ_Parker