Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Witchfire Announced

The Astronauts announce Witchfire an Unreal Engine 4 shooter. This sounds like a departure from the developer behind The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, so the studio's three cofounders remind us of their tenures at People Can Fly, where they helped create Painkiller and Bulletstorm. Here's a teaser trailer and here some details:

Also, as you can see in the teaser, Witchfire uses the photogrammetry tech we previously used in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. This tech allows us to 3D scan real-life objects even entire buildings! and use them as digital assets in our games for unparalleled visual quality, and natural, organic look and feel. We believe we can push the tech even further, with new tools, hardware, and all the experience we gathered during the development of our first game.

You can read our blog post on the photogrammetry tech here.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 9, 2017, 11:25 StingingVelvet

Love the look of it, eager to see more.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 18:10 Slashman

ItBurn wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 16:03:
Huge Painkiller fan and I also really like Ethan Carter, so I'm pretty excited for this.

As for co-op, the Build engine games had full co-op with absolutely no sacrifices made anywhere. That was a long time ago and it was even harder to do back then because of much greater limitations. The only reason co-op is so rare these days is because of arbitrary decisions made by developers.

I worked for an AAA dev, and in a meeting they told me that they wouldn't do full co-op because it was impossible... I told them that it was possible and that's literally all it took for them to change their mind and implement it.

Edit: by arbitrary choice, I meant choose/build an engine that supports co-op natively, and then actually support it.

There are going to be sacrifices made that have nothing to do with performance depending on the content you want in the game when going co-op versus single player. Especially if you were to do something like branching storylines which alter the gameworld in significant ways. Or even killing a particular NPC who offers something unique etc.

There will always be some kind of sacrifice made to accommodate two or more individuals who may do any random thing at any random time which could majorly ruin the fun (or ability to continue) of the other person.

11. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 16:03 ItBurn

Huge Painkiller fan and I also really like Ethan Carter, so I'm pretty excited for this.

As for co-op, the Build engine games had full co-op with absolutely no sacrifices made anywhere. That was a long time ago and it was even harder to do back then because of much greater limitations. The only reason co-op is so rare these days is because of arbitrary decisions made by developers.

I worked for an AAA dev, and in a meeting they told me that they wouldn't do full co-op because it was impossible... I told them that it was possible and that's literally all it took for them to change their mind and implement it.

Edit: by arbitrary choice, I meant choose/build an engine that supports co-op natively, and then actually support it.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2017, 17:14.

10. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 15:47 Osc8r

Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 14:09:
Slashman wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 13:41:
Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 12:45:
Well this is definitely going on my list to check out. Graphically and thematically, that looks amazing.

*crosses fingers for co-op support*

Sure! Let's take a promising atmospheric and dark FPS which would benefit from interesting environmental interactions and effects and fuck it up with co-op support to limit single player possibilities.

I'm in!!!

The presence of co-op does not preclude these possibilities. The fact that some co-op games are lacking in these areas is the fault of the developer, not the concept of co-op itself.

At the very least (given a lazy or unimaginative developer), it could be handled like how Halo did it, where the story, cinematics, interactions, etc behaved as if it were a single player game with only one Master Chief, and the co-op partner is completely ignored.

Games are more fun with a friend. I'm sorry you don't have any friends.

Well said.

9. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 15:34 Nullity

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 15:11:
What the Slashman said. This type of game looks like a perfect match for a tense, atmospheric, old school solo experience. Why fuck that up with "LULZ DID YA JUST SEE HOW I FUXX0RED DAT MUNSTAAAAH BRUUUHHH????!??!?!"?
I see you didn't get it either. I don't have much else to say other than what I already did in my last reply to Slashman, except that I said I'd like "co-op support", not "co-op required".

Just because some devs fail at it, doesn't mean it has to be so. A guy can hope - which is all that was. I'm not against single player only games.

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 15:11:
Please go play some multiplayer-focused loot box garbage for that experience (like Overwatch or whatever you kids play these days) and leave at least SOME games alone for a mature audience who enjoys a decent solo romp. kthx.

Not a kid, and yeah, I hate that shit just as much as you do. That's not at all what I was suggesting.

8. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 15:26 Nullity

Slashman wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 15:01:
And I'm sorry you're so insecure that you need someone else to validate your fun for you.
Sure, because that's what I was getting at (*eye-roll*). Spoken like someone without friends to play games with.

Slashman wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 15:01:
Back on the topic of co-op, I prefer single player games that focus on story, RPG elements and environmental interaction to stay that way. Because either you get a watered down experience or you get silly situations where players get ignored and the game tells you that you're playing alone, which breaks immersion anyway.

If I want to play an FPS with friends, I'll plat Vermintide, L4D or some other game that is built from the ground up with co-op. Shoehorning in co-op for no other reason than to check a box is dumb and produces lower quality games.

Your silly comment about lazy developers is actually about applying time and resources where they make the most sense. Of course that's hard to see when playing a single player game makes you piss your pants with fear that you won't have a friend to along to let you know you enjoyed yourself.

The only thing silly is you, arguing with that straw man.

Of course I never said, implied, or meant that co-op should be an afterthought, shoehorned in simply to check a box - I don't want that either. Of course I meant that if it were to have co-op, it should be built around it (but not require it, so it can still be played solo), so that it can be done well and still retain the immersion that we *both* want.

You seem to have missed my entire point, that those desired elements *can* still exist within a co-op setting. This also logically infers that by making this point, I was saying that would not want them to just haphazardly toss in co-op support at their expense.

7. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 15:11 CJ_Parker

What the Slashman said. This type of game looks like a perfect match for a tense, atmospheric, old school solo experience. Why fuck that up with "LULZ DID YA JUST SEE HOW I FUXX0RED DAT MUNSTAAAAH BRUUUHHH????!??!?!"?

Please go play some multiplayer-focused loot box garbage for that experience (like Overwatch or whatever you kids play these days) and leave at least SOME games alone for a mature audience who enjoys a decent solo romp. kthx.

6. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 15:01 Slashman

Nullity wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 14:09:
Well this is definitely going on my list to check out. Graphically and thematically, that looks amazing.

Sure! Let's take a promising atmospheric and dark FPS which would benefit from interesting environmental interactions and effects and fuck it up with co-op support to limit single player possibilities.

I'm in!!!

The presence of co-op does not preclude these possibilities. The fact that some co-op games are lacking in these areas is the fault of the developer, not the concept of co-op itself.

At the very least (given a lazy or unimaginative developer), it could be handled like how Halo did it, where the story, cinematics, interactions, etc behaved as if it were a single player game with only one Master Chief, and the co-op partner is completely ignored.

And I'm sorry you're so insecure that you need someone else to validate your fun for you.

Back on the topic of co-op, I prefer single player games that focus on story, RPG elements and environmental interaction to stay that way. Because either you get a watered down experience or you get silly situations where players get ignored and the game tells you that you're playing alone, which breaks immersion anyway.

If I want to play an FPS with friends, I'll plat Vermintide, L4D or some other game that is built from the ground up with co-op. Shoehorning in co-op for no other reason than to check a box is dumb and produces lower quality games.

Your silly comment about lazy developers is actually about applying time and resources where they make the most sense. Of course that's hard to see when playing a single player game makes you piss your pants with fear that you won't have a friend to along to let you know you enjoyed yourself.

5. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 14:10 CJ_Parker

This is one of the very few exceptions where I got to say that this shit looks like awesome sauce from afar!

Let's hope it also passes on closer inspection once it's released.

+ add to radar

4. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 14:09 Nullity

I'm in!!!

3. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 13:41 Slashman

I'm in!!!

2. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 12:45 Nullity

1. Re: Witchfire Announced Dec 8, 2017, 12:34 Creston

Looks good.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo