Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return

Ars Technica reports on remarks made by Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen this week at a NASDAQ investor conference indicating microtransactions may not necessarily return to Star Wars Battlefront II. "Over time we'll address how we will want to bring the [microtransactions] either into the game or not and what form we will decide to bring it into," is the exact quote they report. The company took heat over pay-to-win elements of the game's real-money transactions, and eventually suspended them, but generally indicated they were planning on adding them back after working out the kinks, and this is the first real admission that their return was in doubt. Here are the other comments on the subject they quote:

"Clearly we are very focused on listening to the consumer and understanding what the consumer wants and that's evolving constantly," Jorgensen said. "But we're working on improving the progression system. We turned the [microtransactions] off as an opportunity to work on the progression system inside the game. We're continuing to update that...

"It's been a great learning experience for us," he continued. "We consider ourselves a learning organization, and if we're not learning we're failing in some way."

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 15:05 Kxmode

Drifting too much into the mob mentality of "I hate EA because it is the popular thing," is narrow thinking. Why? There are three companies involved and all have something to fear.

As the developer, DICE is working on an IP neither they nor their parent company own. Put yourselves in DICE's shoe. The last they want is for EA to close their studio because EA does that. You know those devs are working extra hard to make the game better without the aggressive MTX.

As the publisher, EA is working extra hard to make Disney happy so that they do not yank the franchise away from them.

As the IP's owner, Disney is working hard to ensure that the word gambling being associated with Star Wars does not impact ticket sales.

In other words, take a step back and look at the bigger, business picture, and then fit that view point within the scope of being a gamer.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 12:22 NewMaxx

When in a job posting (Bungie) you list "progression" (x2), "performance indicators," "monetization" (x3), "engagement patterns," "economy/economies" (x2), and
microtransactions," it's pretty clear that progression = money at this point. The job is literally to find out how best to get money from the player with the least amount of investment. "They're a company, their goal is to make a profit" - might be hard to do if you piss off half your customer base, but who am I to say? They tried to get away with BS and got caught. Bottom line.

Of course I love progression. Golf Story was the first game I bought on my Switch and I 100%'d that shit. It did have a sense of accomplishment and pride for me since I had to master various gameplay mechanics in a natural way that kept things fresh (new courses, new challenges, new clubs, etc). Could a static golf game with just courses be fun? Sure. Would it be AS fun? Questionable. Coming back to the original holes later, it was fun to get 72/72 medals. If they added DLC down the road with more I'd be happy to buy it. Now, if that same game had me spend real $ on lootboxes or boosts or w/e on top of the upfront cost, F no!

12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 12:02 Kxmode

Redmask wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 07:44:
How about no fucking progression system? Why do I need one at all? We played games for 20 fucking years without these things, they do not add anything to the gameplay or enjoyment of the product. It's just a virtual hamster wheel and gamers are so fucking owned by the industry that they're convinced they're a good thing.

With indifference to your "colorful metaphors," the reason why is simple. Progression creates goals, and an RPG-styled progression system of unlocking skills is great fun! I wrote, "Reduce the XP/points needed to unlock core skills." So by making SWBF2's multiplayer a hybrid of MOBA (like Overwatch and TF2) and RPG (WOW and GW2 skill-tree styled progression), this gives players a real sense of accomplishment without making the process a daunting chore. This plan also provides players with a way to skill up numerous alts without spending an absurd amount of time on each. When they have a vested interest in their characters and the game, this ultimately leads to residual purchases. And that's what EA needs most for SWBF2 to be successful.

Edit: "core skills core" lol

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2017, 12:22.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

11. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 11:35 Tumbler

Slick wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 10:32:
Well, thanks angry mob of gamers. I'm sure that the 2-years of DLC seasons they had planned will be massively gimped now. Good work. WE DID IT!

I'm guessing it already was... Tough to convince a big company to dump tons of money into the games extra content when buying loot boxes is what they really care about.

More likely you'd see a lot more extra content in the loot boxes themselves. Oh this months DLC....uh night time maps! Next month? Eh....sunrise maps!

(Kashyyk at night is fucking awesome though...)

10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 10:32 Slick

Well, thanks angry mob of gamers. I'm sure that the 2-years of DLC seasons they had planned will be massively gimped now. Good work. WE DID IT!

I like how KX's solution is "just charge $12.99 for each DLC"

Weren't microtransactions the PROBLEM?

Cause "loot boxes" isn't an issue, like I've said a dozen times, You had to roll the die to see what loot you got in DnD 40 years ago. So don't give me that shit. Chance has always played a role in gaming.

Right, and split the player base up. brilliant. Get used to $50 near-mandatory season passes coming back for good guys! WE DID IT!

Just cause they fucked up the implementation doesn't mean that funding DLC development to give to all players for free by harnessing the spending power of the 1% who want to pay for crates was an inherantly terrible idea. It was just implemented in a terrible way.

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

9. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 10:26 Creston

Awww, poor EA. How's that crow taste?

8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 10:00 El Pit

BREAKING NEWS RE: BATTLEFRONT II MICROTRANSCATIONS
Something might happen or might not happen!

Wall Street in turmoil after this important message. EA refused to comment.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

7. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 09:48 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 07:44:
How about no fucking progression system? Why do I need one at all? We played games for 20 fucking years without these things, they do not add anything to the gameplay or enjoyment of the product. It's just a virtual hamster wheel and gamers are so fucking owned by the industry that they're convinced they're a good thing.

Everything is more fun with RPG elements. Everything.
But it has to be done well. Say what you will about it, the Modern Warfare games did all of this really, really well. You had enough unlocked at the start to be competitive. Additional things were either easy to unlock, or cosmetic, or niche. But getting XP and unlocking things was a lot of fun.

I have no problem adding RPG elements to online FPS games. It just adds depth. But there are good ways to do it, and EA ways to do it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 09:46 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 01:56:
On the Gamers with Jobs podcast last week they got an email from an EA employee. He was saying to boycott the game. The MT and progression system were awful, he felt, and game meetings were dominated on how to structure gameplay systems not to have fun, but on gamer spending habits. He had become disillusioned with the game after working on it.

Although they withheld the name, and it could be fake, I feel the GWJ guys are ones to vet their stuff before reading stuff like this, so I'm inclined to believe it.

People keep thinking it's just marketing doing this, not devs. It's devs people. I'm telling you, it's devs.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 09:05 Cutter

A great learning experience? Really? They needed to learn this? What's more likely? That, or he's lying through his teeth? Makes me wish Hell existed because there would be a special Hell reserved for motherfuckers like that. What's the Chinese Hell for liars and unethical businessmen?

"I like oak myself, that's what's in my bedroom. How 'bout you Jimmie? You an oak man?"

4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 07:44 Redmask

3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 01:56 jdreyer

On the Gamers with Jobs podcast last week they got an email from an EA employee. He was saying to boycott the game. The MT and progression system were awful, he felt, and game meetings were dominated on how to structure gameplay systems not to have fun, but on gamer spending habits. He had become disillusioned with the game after working on it.

Although they withheld the name, and it could be fake, I feel the GWJ guys are ones to vet their stuff before reading stuff like this, so I'm inclined to believe it.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

2. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 7, 2017, 22:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

Interesting. I may pick this up for $9.99 eventually, if they basically bring it back to BF1 levels, aka mostly like Kxmode's list, ie. all game changing items unlockable via normal play, cosmetic crap for sale.

I disagree on selling maps, that'll just split the community, but they'll probably do something to make up the difference.

1. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 7, 2017, 21:18 Kxmode

It's not hard.

1. Restrict the loot crate system to vanity and cosmetic stuff ONLY. In other words, pink Darth Vader costume, emo Luke Skywalker skin, and so forth. Nothing pay-2-win. (No radical changes to MTX system)
2. Make all pay-2-win stuff part of core progression. (No radical changes to core system)
3. Reduce the XP/points needed to unlock core skills core. The progression should be set to reasonable levels. (No radical changes to core system)
4. Set the price of new DLC maps to $12.99. This is higher than the cheap $9.99 pricing point but lower than the $15.99 "subscription" pricing point. It's a perception thing. (Financial decision for future content)
5. Continue to offer vanity and cosmetic stuff alongside paid DLCs. (Decision for future content)

What EA doesn't make from P2W MTX, they will from a steady stream of residuals (e.g. new purchases, DLC purchases, vanity mtx), and more important they won't suffer the ire of Disney or gamers.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2017, 21:52.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo