Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

SpellForce 3 Released

THQ Nordic announces the release of SpellForce 3, the latest installment in this fantasy RTS/RPG hybrid series. This is a PC exclusive, available for Windows through GOG.com and Steam, while a physical Standard Edition and a limited-edition Collector's Edition are also available, and this page shows the way to ordering those. The Release Trailer comes along with the following announcement:

The critically acclaimed RTS/RPG-series SpellForce returns today with a new installment: SpellForce 3 is available as a PC-exclusive title.

By combining real-time-strategy and role-playing, SpellForce 3 takes the best from both and blends it together in a unique way. Players will create their own hero, and meet others along their epic journey through the 30+ hours of campaign gameplay. They will construct large bases and muster powerful armies, command three different factions, clash together in multiplayer matches or join forces in the co-operative campaign.

The story of SpellForce 3 takes place before the events of its predecessors, telling the tale of the aftermath of the Mage Wars an exciting experience for players of the former SpellForce games and players who are new to the franchise alike. In SpellForce 3s launch trailer, you can see all the features that will #MakeRTSGreatAgain:

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: SpellForce 3 Released Dec 8, 2017, 21:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

Just dropping some more info: So far, still on release day, they are up to patch 1.04. Hooray! Unfortunately, my save games seem to be fatally bugged, I'm into the 'main' storyline in the Campaign, and the F10/Blueprint window is completely missing in my game, even after repairing. I've found maybe 10 blueprints, 'used' 4-5, and nothing shows up anywhere. The game is playable but I have no upper tech units, and can't upgrade lower units with the blueprints I have.

I'll restart in a couple days. On the plus side, they are actively patching the game. I did redo my characters to make a mega-tank, 1h/shield frontline guy, and casters/ranged in the backfield, because the damage gets obscene in a hurry for melee DPS guys. Any front line hero that isn't setup for max armor/max resist gets annihilated by any large group focus firing on them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: SpellForce 3 Released Dec 8, 2017, 00:50 Alamar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 22:37:
Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 16:47:
Good to hear. Unfortunately I won't even consider buying it until they make some statement about resolving the AMD issues with it. Such a shame too because it looks great.

Somebody else on here also had an AMD cpu, and was able to play the beta... I am blanking on the person's alias, but it might be something other than the CPU giving you issues.

Not all AMD CPUs are the same either... And not all combinations of other parts are irrelevant... I was going to respond to the poster you're referring to, but he message was pretty dickish...

Hopefully the company is able to get enough relevant info to figure out what's causing it and resolve it... Intermittent issues can be a pain in the ass to track down, and there are so very few helpful users (Not blaming them for being pissed shit isn't working, but it'll always be the nature of PC gaming).

3. Re: SpellForce 3 Released Dec 7, 2017, 22:37 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 16:47:
Good to hear. Unfortunately I won't even consider buying it until they make some statement about resolving the AMD issues with it. Such a shame too because it looks great.

Somebody else on here also had an AMD cpu, and was able to play the beta... I am blanking on the person's alias, but it might be something other than the CPU giving you issues.

After some more hours of the campaign... the gameplay is great, the writing is a bit laughable in spots, and WAY too much dialogue by NPCs, although that'll probably thin out once the campaign really gets rolling. The music is really wonderful in spots, I wonder how much money they had for this game vs Spellforce 2, it must be several orders of magnitude greater.

Also, all melee seems to be strong(dual wield especially, 1h/shield, 2h), ranged (bows/xbows) seem to be the weakest character path(only really excels at killing enemy mages), and magic is amazing for killing enemy troops with AoE.

BUG: There seems to be a potentially MAJOR bug in the blueprint unlock system. There has already been a patch though, so maybe they are aware and are working on it/have fixed it. I've found 3-4 blueprints, which are supposed to unlock various tech tree options and/or buff existing units, but NONE of them are going into the Blueprint(F10) window, and stuff is NOT getting unlocked.

Release day issues, sigh. Not a huge deal though, as I'm tempted to restart anyway and redo my characters. It seems VASTLY more efficient to focus on one damage path and maybe one backup path(healing/nukes etc.) and not try to do two equipment(melee/ranged, melee dps/tanking) paths, yet half the default NPCs are setup that way, and the default setting for your main character is the same. *boggle*

There's also a minor display/animation bug with one handed spears, most of the time the character will attack with the two handed spear motion and (maybe?) not use your other 1hander. Potentially a big bug, but I just shelved my 1h spears for now, Sword/Rondel is beastly anyway.

2. Re: SpellForce 3 Released Dec 7, 2017, 16:47 Cutter

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

1. Re: SpellForce 3 Released Dec 7, 2017, 15:15 MoreLuckThanSkill

I have in and bought it, of course. (GoG version)

So far, it's beautiful, visually and aurally, campaign seems well designed as a tutorial in the first two missions, tons of loot and items, and seems to be introducing units/buildings at a decent rate.

The combat is good, if you played the public beta, it seems largely the same, just more units available.

Downside: had a game crashing bug when I went to load a game, from within the game (killed a miniboss but his loot bag fell right on a Tutorial area, so I couldn't pick it up !) and had to reboot.

When I went to repair the game in Galaxy, it did download some more files, so perhaps the initial download was corrupted. I'll see.

So far though it's fun, and I'm doing mostly the same sort of setup I had in Spellforce 2, Hero group with some ranged backup and a few heavy tanks, and a more mixed backup group for base defense while the Heroes explore and loot. It does feel as though there were more units in Spellforce 2, although some of that may have been from DLC, it's been awhile.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo