Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2017, 05:03 Suppa7

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 12:32:
It's not Intel and nVidia's fault that AMD hasn't been able to compete

Actually... Intel bribed companies not to use AMD chips way back in the athlon days and that denied amd necessary funding for all the R&D money they spent on it. That move extremely wounded AMD pretty badly. So to say it's all amd's fault is a bit of bullshit.

History of intels abuses against AMD since the beginning

Intel fined for unfair business practices

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2017, 07:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 19:31 Wallshadows

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 14:06:
I think Intel is doing this so they have headroom to introduce “faster processors” by simply putting better TIM in.

That's the kind of benefit of a doubt I'd give them if we were still on Ivy Bridge processors but here we are six generations later and they use it exclusively from budget to HEDT. It's just Intel being shitty much like how they were in regards to their processors until Ryzen released and put a fire under their ass to actually do something other than refresh their series with single-digit performance increases.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 14:06 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 13:31:
Sorry, but when has Intel or nVidia ever done anything like this?

I meant more in general just doing shitty business practices, though Nvidia did almost the same thing with the GTX970, albeit slightly less blatant.

For Intel, the most blatant thing I can think of off the top of my head that they've been doing recently is putting birdshit TIM in their absurdly expensive processors, all so they can save like 8 cents per die. In the meantime, your temps go up by 20 degrees and your processor probably shortens its lifetime by a few years.

I think Intel is doing this so they have headroom to introduce “faster processors” by simply putting better TIM in.

The 970 issue at least happens on every single 970 made, not just some models that showed up well after all reviews were put out. The rx560 with the slower parts is literally a rebranded 460, because people may want to buy cheap but they want THIS year’s model. Dirty inventory clearing trick.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 13:31 Creston

I meant more in general just doing shitty business practices, though Nvidia did almost the same thing with the GTX970, albeit slightly less blatant.

For Intel, the most blatant thing I can think of off the top of my head that they've been doing recently is putting birdshit TIM in their absurdly expensive processors, all so they can save like 8 cents per die. In the meantime, your temps go up by 20 degrees and your processor probably shortens its lifetime by a few years.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 12:32 ForgedReality

Creston wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 11:54:
This is an absolute bullshit move by AMD, and their little handwringing explanation that they will force their AIB partners to be more clear about shit doesn't take away the fact that they gimped their card and are still trying to sell it for the same price.

Anyone who bought the gimped card has a VERY easy bait and switch lawsuit win waiting for them.

Hey, AMD? It used to be that when you wanted to release more RX5xx options, you'd give them gimped card a different name, so as to make it clear that it was different. The fact that you didn't do that just shows you're trying to cheat people.

Thanks for turning into Intel/Nvidia.

It's not Intel and nVidia's fault that AMD hasn't been able to compete from a performance perspective for well over a decade. This is just AMD being AMD.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 11:54 Creston

This is an absolute bullshit move by AMD, and their little handwringing explanation that they will force their AIB partners to be more clear about shit doesn't take away the fact that they gimped their card and are still trying to sell it for the same price.

Anyone who bought the gimped card has a VERY easy bait and switch lawsuit win waiting for them.

Hey, AMD? It used to be that when you wanted to release more RX5xx options, you'd give that gimped card a different name, so as to make it clear that it was different. The fact that you didn't do that just shows you're trying to cheat people.

Thanks for turning into Intel/Nvidia.

This comment was edited on Dec 7, 2017, 13:32.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 11:41 RedEye9

AMD, all this brouhaha over a sad card that no one would buy for its performance.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo