Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I've commented before that I'm not sure December 7th lives in as much infamy as FDR envisioned when he made his December 8th declaration of war in Japan. That may be for the best, as hostilities between the U.S. and Japan seemed to fade pretty quickly after World War II, and that's not something to complain about. But the date will always jump out for me as the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, so it's hard for me to imagine noting anything else about the date here. I think I'll take the occasion as a chance to watch the fine historical drama based on the attack, Tora! Tora! Tora! (with no apologies at all to Michael Bay).

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Tough Growth.
Sofra.
Link: A city destroyed: 100 years after the Halifax Explosion. Thanks David.
Stories: Pearl Harbor: Hero sailor finally honored for saving 6 men.
Korean, Japanese and German cars edge out Americans in IIHS top safety picks.
Science: This Dinosaur Fossil Was So Bizarre, Scientists Thought It Was Fake.
Breast cancer: Study finds tumor risk increased by use of oral contraceptives.
Media: A Ladder Fire Truck Is Driven Like A Boss!
Traffic flow measured on 30 different 4-way junctions.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 9, 2017, 10:24 RedEye9

Beamer wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 17:30:
Actually, none of it was forged. The part she wrote was never claimed to be from him.

Retired, c'mon.
What do expect when the only news he gets is from Fox Noise.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 17:49 Mr. Tact

Wait, a teenager did something stupid? I am shocked. SHOCKED!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

19. removed Dec 8, 2017, 17:45 RedEye9

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 9, 2017, 12:18.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 17:30 Beamer

Actually, none of it was forged. The part she wrote was never claimed to be from him.

Retired, c'mon.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 16:18 Beamer

Retired wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 16:00:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 20:41:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 20:08:
We lose Al Franken but gain Roy Moore, wake me when this national nightmare is over. Broad Majority of Americans Support Moving Trump to Jerusalem

Al needed to hold fast until the end of the ethics probe. If his constituents wanted to vote him out, so be it, but resigning is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Also, this was a rat fcking operation: some of the women who accused Al were coached by Republican operatives.

Meanwhile, Trump, Clarence Thomas, and pedo Roy Moore will all remain in office, despite much worse behavior. IOKIYAR. Fuck.

oops...Roy Moore year book forged..... (which was obvious when you looked at it - 2 different inks and the dates were wrong)

Part forged. Which is beyond idiotic. Stupid, stupid.

But do you have any doubts as to his interest in young teens?
And do you think that it even matters regarding whether he's fit to legislate, given all the other awful shit he says?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 16:00 Retired

We lose Al Franken but gain Roy Moore, wake me when this national nightmare is over. Broad Majority of Americans Support Moving Trump to Jerusalem

Al needed to hold fast until the end of the ethics probe. If his constituents wanted to vote him out, so be it, but resigning is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Also, this was a rat fcking operation: some of the women who accused Al were coached by Republican operatives.

Meanwhile, Trump, Clarence Thomas, and pedo Roy Moore will all remain in office, despite much worse behavior. IOKIYAR. Fuck.

oops...Roy Moore year book forged..... (which was obvious when you looked at it - 2 different inks and the dates were wrong)

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 02:13 bigspender

What's the deal with oral contraceptives anyway? I didn't think you could get pregnant that way.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 01:04 Retired

Once again guilt seems to depend on party affiliation......the whole thing is a mess, but I love that it is blowing up DC. I agree with someone on the news the past few days. Anyone that has to resign or is found to be caught up in any of this shall lose all government bennies.

And it is forcing out turds like Conyers. (if the truth of everything he was involved in was put in MSM.......wow....)

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2017, 01:01 Retired

Breast cancer: Study finds tumor risk increased by use of oral contraceptives.

Along with water, eggs, milk, alcohol, meat, air, fabric softener, baby powder, looking at the sun, coffee, sex, living near cell towers bras, smoking, and everything else anyone has ever done.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 21:54 YourNick

Japanese government brainwashed their citizens just like in Germany. Once those governments were taken out of power and democracy adopted all returned to normal. Midway (1976) was a good war movie as well, covering the turning point of the war, also touching a bit on the mis-treatment of Japanese Americans.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 21:50 Mr. Tact

Also, this was a rat fcking operation: some of the women who accused Al were coached by Republican operatives.
I haven't seen or read that, yet. Whether it is or isn't true, I'm sure many in Alabama think or would say the same about Roy Moore's accusers. Minnesota has a (D) governor, so in the short term it won't change the balance of power in the Senate.

Life sucks and in the end, you die.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 21:10 Kxmode

This is the funniest scam email I've received!

($900, 000. 00) NINE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATE DOLLARS HAS BEEN ISSUED OUT TO ALL THE AFFECTED VICTIMS AND HAS BEEN ALREADY IN DISTRIBUTION TO ALL THE BEARERS. YOUR NAME WAS AMONG THOSE SCAMMED AS LISTED BY THE WEST AFRICA FINANCIAL INTELLIGENT UNIT (WAFIU) A RE-COMPENSATION HAS BEEN ISSUED OUT IN ATM VISA CARD FOR YOU, KINDLY REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR SECURITY REASON:

LOL!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 20:41 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 20:08 RedEye9

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 20:05 RedEye9

White House says questioning Trump’s health based on slurring is ‘ridiculous.’ Has it forgotten 2016?
Trump will have a full physical early next year and that the results will be made public.
So if reporters got nothing else from asking about the slurring, at least they got an answer to that question.
And we will also get to see its tax returns. {wink}

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 18:58 Mordecai Walfish

Huge mega-heist coming to GTA online Dec 12th. flying deloreans, jetpacks, possible conclusion to the 4yr Chiliad mystery. Looks pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/oCZgVGFwKo0

Some mystery force at hand in this one apparently. My guess is aliens

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 18:05 NKD

Pigeon wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 15:47:
I suppose when cars are autonomous and you don't have to account for the dumdum behind the wheel Skylines can be the premier traffic simulator

I wonder if the most effective intersection on a road of entirely self-driving cars would be a simple 4-way with no traffic signs or lights. The cars could coordinate and alter speed to weave between each other with as little slowdown as possible.

It would be absolutely pant-shittingly terrifying to actually be in the car though, even if it was safe...

You are being watched.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 17:37 sliv

We have the Continuous Flow and Divergent Diamond within 5 miles of each other by my house. They work well until the holidays when we have out-of-towners who, understandably, get very confused. Especially the Divergent Diamond where we see cars going the wrong way heading towards oncoming traffic daily.

The simulation has a different traffic light pattern as there rarely is anyone crossing the bridge north/south at the light waiting on the bridge to exit the divergent part. It's usually open so anyone wanting to cross over the straight bridge (north/south) will automatically think "stay on the right side of the road" and start heading toward the group of cars heading their way (3:22).

It's a bit confusing at first but it makes traffic smoother. Unless you're one of the poor souls traveling east/west and want to stay on the access road through the light to get to the gas station on the corner. Lots of u-turns and driving through parking lots.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 15:47 Pigeon

MacLeod wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 13:33:
Traffic flow (*In "Cities: Skylines")

Other than cars driving through each other, the biggest problem with using it as a simulation is the vehicles actually obey the laws of the road, i.e. merging properly, and not swinging wide or cutting short when turning. Thus more complex systems alleviate traffic, where in reality there would more chaos as people don't know how to do those things. I suppose when cars are autonomous and you don't have to account for the dumdum behind the wheel Skylines can be the premier traffic simulator

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 13:33 MacLeod

Traffic flow (*In "Cities: Skylines")  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo