Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 7, 2017, 01:40 Mordecai Walfish

Creston wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 22:18:
HoSpanky wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 21:49:
I don't get why EVGA has so many 1070ti models....they can't bump up the speeds on them, Nvidia locked that down so you can't push a 1070ti faster than a 1080.

? I think you can. They just don't want them clocked that way straight out of the gate.

The big advantage a 1080 has over a 1070ti is that it has 3GB more memory, but other than that, the 1070ti is a goddamn monster of a card. I got the MSI Gaming one, and the thing is COMPLETELY quiet. I'm not being hyperbolic. It is COMPLETELY quiet. While I'm playing a game, I can't hear it. Right now while I'm on the web, I can't hear it.

I turned the fan to 100% to see what it'd sound like, and it's literally barely a whisper. It is AMAZING how quiet they made that thing, especially considering the heatsink weighs like 9000 lbs. (I was seriously worried about the weight of that card hanging in that PCI-E slot. It's the heaviest graphics card I've ever owned.)

My old GTX970 (by EVGA, coincidentally) is a fucking twin-turbo vacuum cleaner compared to the 1070ti.

I have a MSI Gaming 980ti that is similar. Fans don't even kick in until it is over 60 degrees, because of the massive copper heatsink on it, and the fans are dead silent when they do kick in because they are larger and running at low rpm, but still pushing lots of air through those pipes. They make the best air cooling solutions out there for GPUs, IMO.

"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Dec 6, 21:14 Re: Evening Tech Bits Cutter
  2. Dec 6, 21:49  Re: Evening Tech Bits HoSpanky
  3. Dec 6, 22:18   Re: Evening Tech Bits Creston
  5. Dec 6, 23:27    Re: Evening Tech Bits HoSpanky
  6. Dec 6, 23:37     Re: Evening Tech Bits Creston
>> 7. Dec 7, 01:40    Re: Morning Tech Bits Mordecai Walfish
  8. Dec 7, 09:44     Re: Morning Tech Bits HoSpanky
  9. Dec 7, 11:58      Re: Morning Tech Bits Creston
  4. Dec 6, 22:24  Re: Evening Tech Bits Beamer

footer