Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Into the Black Dec 7, 2017, 05:18 shiho

That "overhyped" list was created by SomethingAwful-type edgetards.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 13:36 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 13:33:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 13:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 12:32:
As for "Get Out", it was the best Horror film in ages and deserved all the praise it received.

Haven't seen Get Out yet, it's in my queue.

The Babadook and It Follows are my two favorite recent horror movies.
Definitely, both of those were great.
You'll also want to watch The Witch (2015/16?) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/
Yeah, I heard about that, but it didn't sound like my cuppa. I'll check it out.

Stay a while, and listen.

19. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 13:33 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 13:02:
As for "Get Out", it was the best Horror film in ages and deserved all the praise it received.

Definitely, both of those were great.
You'll also want to watch The Witch (2015/16?) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4263482/

PS you can also add "Life" and the last planet of the apes movies to the skip list, what a couple of stinkers

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

18. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 13:02 jdreyer

Red886 wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 00:28:
no other superhero movies other than Dark Knight on there?

Tres bizzare.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice can be deleted from your netflix queue, trust me.
Independence Day 2, ugh.
Galaxy of the Guardians Volume 2, what a waste.

17. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 12:32 RedEye9

Red886 wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 00:28:

Tres bizzare.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice can be deleted from your netflix queue, trust me.
Independence Day 2, ugh.
Galaxy of the Guardians Volume 2, what a waste.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

16. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 10:02 PHJF

Are you forgetting Death Proof? Ugh, talk about soporific. And when paired with the ludicrously entertaining Planet Terror!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 09:31 Beamer

Pigeon wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 08:54:
Their complaint about Dark Knight can pretty much be said about every movie and TV show where a character is using trickery or cunning to advance the plot. Yes Stranger Things is a love letter to 80ís childhood/coming of age movies, but itís a really well written love letter. Honestly I was never aware Django was in the running for best Tarantino movie. I enjoyed it in the way I enjoy most Tarantino movies, as an over the top spectacle. Pulp Fiction, reservoir dogs and Kill Bill all rate better IMO. And bitching about Back to the Future not being realisticÖ Okay someone needs to pull the stick out of their ass and learn to enjoy things for what they are.

Inglorious Bastards, for me, hands down. No question at all. It's also arguably the least Tarantino film of all the Tarantino films, and that may not be a coincidence for my opinion.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 08:54 Pigeon

Their complaint about Dark Knight can pretty much be said about every movie and TV show where a character is using trickery or cunning to advance the plot. Yes Stranger Things is a love letter to 80ís childhood/coming of age movies, but itís a really well written love letter. Honestly I was never aware Django was in the running for best Tarantino movie. I enjoyed it in the way I enjoy most Tarantino movies, as an over the top spectacle. Pulp Fiction, reservoir dogs and Kill Bill all rate better IMO. And bitching about Back to the Future not being realisticÖ Okay someone needs to pull the stick out of their ass and learn to enjoy things for what they are.  

13. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 07:55 Beamer

Blue wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 00:41:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 23:09:
Some of them are a bit of a stretch.. you're telling me Django wasn't arguably Tarantino's best film? That Scarface wasn't amazing for the time period?

As I said, I surprised myself by how much of the list I agreed with, so I'll offer my take on yours.

For me, Django is memorable for Christoph Waltz's magnetism, but I mostly didn't like it. It's not as bad a Hateful Eight, but it's probably second-to-worst for me (you know, except for Quentin's brilliant acting turn as Australian Frankenstein). Unarguably Pulp Fiction was my favorite of his. This pales by comparison.

And I *hate* Scarface. There, I said it. It's hard for me to go through more than five minutes of an DePalma film and not be annoyed, and this is no different. A bunch of Italians playing Cubans and the first hint of Pacino's eventual descent into his over-the-top phase? No thanks.

Then there's Full Metal Jacket! How the hell can you not like the second half of FMJ!?! Instantly disqualifies this whole list. :o

There are parts of the second half that were memorable, like Animal Mother (and the hooker quotes in the post after yours), but the in-country parts felt off to me, and it being so distinctly separated from the gripping first part helped emphasize the disjointed feel. Perhaps that's what Kubrick was shooting for, but it makes me feel like someone needed to mold all the cool things that happened in the movie into more of a story. Also, the Battle of Hue was important, but showing urban warfare in Vietnam seems odd (and feels like a cop-out, knowing Kubrick would never travel to the jungle to shoot on location).

Haven't seen Get Out.

Agreed. Django was entertaining, but because of Waltz.

And FMJ, when I saw it I was in HS, and remember the harsh transition being the entire point. War sucks. That part of the movie largely sucks. But that doesn't make it a particularly rewatchable half of the film.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 03:22 jdreyer

Shawshank Redemption: totally overrated. If they'd set it in a stripmall instead of a prison, it would have been perfect.  

11. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 02:21 theglaze

Some funny one liners but mostly contemptuous remarks.

There are performances, plot twists, imagry, musical scores, quotes, etc from all of the movies on that list (or at least the ones Iíve seen) that stand out to me and influenced my perspective(s), and Iím glad I watched those films.

10. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 01:59 HorrorScope

If Get Out is rated, it's over rated.  

9. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 01:54 NKD

This list is nothing but "I'm too hipster to like these things widely regarded as fantastic." I don't like the vast majority of the shit they listed, but it's not because they aren't masterpieces, it's because they just aren't my cup of tea. I certainly wouldn't make some list and say they didn't deserve whatever accolades they received.

What really tells you whether something deserves its praise, is if people are still praising it 20 years later. And for those things that are more than 20 years old on this list, it's almost universally true.

Anyway, Cracked has fired all their paid employees as of a few days ago and is going to go under soon anyway, so we won't have to deal with the nosedive in quality that site has taken for much longer.

You are being watched.

8. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 01:39 DangerDog

Everything Is Terrible!

I don't recall Star Wars Force Awakens getting much praise but it sure did make a shit ton of money.

7. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 00:41  Blue 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 23:09:
Some of them are a bit of a stretch.. you're telling me Django wasn't arguably Tarantino's best film? That Scarface wasn't amazing for the time period?

As I said, I surprised myself by how much of the list I agreed with, so I'll offer my take on yours.

For me, Django is memorable for Christoph Waltz's magnetism, but I mostly didn't like it. It's not as bad a Hateful Eight, but it's probably second-to-worst for me (you know, except for Quentin's brilliant acting turn as Australian Frankenstein). Unarguably Pulp Fiction was my favorite of his. This pales by comparison.

And I *hate* Scarface. There, I said it. It's hard for me to go through more than five minutes of an DePalma film and not be annoyed, and this is no different. A bunch of Italians playing Cubans and the first hint of Pacino's eventual descent into his over-the-top phase? No thanks.

Then there's Full Metal Jacket! How the hell can you not like the second half of FMJ!?! Instantly disqualifies this whole list. :o

There are parts of the second half that were memorable, like Animal Mother (and the hooker quotes in the post after yours), but the in-country parts felt off to me, and it being so distinctly separated from the gripping first part helped emphasize the disjointed feel. Perhaps that's what Kubrick was shooting for, but it makes me feel like someone needed to mold all the cool things that happened in the movie into more of a story. Also, the Battle of Hue was important, but showing urban warfare in Vietnam seems odd (and feels like a cop-out, knowing Kubrick would never travel to the jungle to shoot on location).

Haven't seen Get Out.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: Into the Black Dec 6, 2017, 00:28 Red886

5. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2017, 23:51 SirKnight

I can't agree about the second half of Full Metal Jacket being forgettable. It kind of was too bad that R Lee Ermey wasn't a part of it but it was still done very well.

ME LOVE YOU LONG TIME!

No boom boom with soul brotha! Soul brotha too beaucoup, too beaucoup! LOL

4. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2017, 23:09 MoreLuckThanSkill

Some of these are far criticisms, to be honest. District 9, and all of Blomkamp's work for that matter, felt like the universe he invented was awesome, yet the story fell on its face. Get him some decent writing partners for fuck's sake.

Then there's Full Metal Jacket! How the hell can you not like the second half of FMJ!?! Instantly disqualifies this whole list.

Then I realized this is a Cracked.com link, and these are random submissions from their readers, not the work of any film critic. Kids these days.

Also, hating Get Out. Edgy!

Clearly I watch too many movies though, I've seen every film on this list at least twice.

3. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2017, 22:54 Hoop

I loved District 9.
The white race is clearly portrayed as the ugliest... relax.

Um .. Behind you...

2. Re: Into the Black Dec 5, 2017, 20:43 MajorD

Of the ones I've seen, Here's my opinion:

- Stranger Things: great show, but way over-hyped.

- District 9: Overrated.

- Shakespeare In Love: Overrated.

- Django: WAY, WAY Overrated!

- Breakfast Club: Good movie, good message, but yeah, it's overrated.

- Karate Kid: Good movie, but yeah, it's overrated.

- Interstellar: I thought it was as good, or better than the ratings.

- Scarface: No way you CockaRoaches, it's NOT overrated.

- Full Metal Jacket: I never considered it to be overrated or over-hyped, but good movie. JOKERS! But, it was like two different movies in one.

- Braveheart: No, not overrated. Remember when it didn't do well in the theaters upon its initial release, but when they re-released it in the theaters it rocked it?!

- Back to the Future: F$&K YOU, this is 'not' overrated!!!

- Gone with the Wind: Meh, I don't think it was overrated 'for its time', no.

- The Dark Knight: No, not over-hyped. It may be perceived as being overhyped because of all the attention the film received around Heath Ledger's death (may he rest in piece). But no, not overrated.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2017, 20:56.

Still counting...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo