Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Patches

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: Morning Patches Dec 5, 2017, 17:41 HoSpanky

It helps to keep your thumb centered on the pad, if you just want teleportation.

The game would drop, for a moment, to the loading screen every 20 seconds or so, and then hard freeze for 3-4 seconds every few minutes. The freezing is instant nausea, as the view halts. Any head movement feels VERY wrong at that point.

This is on a factory overclocked 1080 and a 4790k.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Morning Patches Dec 5, 2017, 14:25 Frijoles

I broke down and bought it on PC, along with FO4 VR and another VR title. I think I'm one of the lucky minority that hasn't had any issues with it, but I haven't played terribly long yet. No stuttering issues or anything. The only complaint I have is I tend to dash when I want to teleport. I don't know what the work-around for it would be, though. Free locomotion would make me sick. Dash gets close to making me ill, so I use it (on purpose) sparingly. Now if I could just find more time.  

1. Re: Morning Patches Dec 5, 2017, 11:16 SirKnight

Free locomotion is available with the PS4 version of Doom VFR. But it's an option that is disabled by default and will only work with the dual shock controller or the Aim controller since those have thumbsticks. If you're using the move controllers you have to use teleportation since there's no thumbstick.

Teleportation is actually not all that bad once you get used to it. It plays better than it looks on video. It's also a very fast way to move around which fits the gameplay of doom perfectly. The only thing I find awkward about the move controllers is since there's no D-pad, using the dodge moves with the buttons in a square layout is kind of weird. I always dodge in the opposite direction I mean to. It will take some more getting used to for that.

One thing Sony really needs to add to PS VR is supporting more cameras (and then defining a play area like the PC HMDs will do). There's times where I ended up facing away from my TV to shoot some dudes behind me and the PS camera was only partially seeing the move controllers which made it really hard to shoot. But using the 180 spin button helps re-orient yourself pretty well to avoid this issue.

It will be great when VR is finally wireless too. Depending on the game, you can very easily get wrapped up in the cord like a mummy, which happens more often in doom.

I'll probably wait for a sale to get Doom VFR for the PC while letting Oculus support get more stable in SteamVR. For now, I'm liking the PS VR version quite a bit.

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo