Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Somewhere along the way MrsBlue has become a Star Wars fan. This was completely unexpected by me, because she was indifferent just a few years ago, but her work on children's books on the series forced her to watch the first two trilogies, and drew her in. We usually don't go to the movies, but we did make it out to see both The Force Awakens and Rogue One, which shows how far this goes. And before I even got to ask about The Last Jedi, she asked me if we had tickets yet after seeing a commercial for it. So I hit Fandango and now we are set for a week from Thursday, hopeful that going to the first show will help avoid spoilers. There's no way I could have influenced this to happen myself, so I just have to thank the fates for working it all out for me. Or perhaps it was not the fates, but The Force?

Forceful Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Cow Defender.
Stickman Shooter.
Links: Artist Creates Cuphead Tribute With More Than 22,000 Dominoes.
Story: "John Wick Chapter 3" Begins Pre-Production.
Science: How will humanity react to alien life- Psychologists have some predictions.
Media: Vox: How Technicolor changed movies.
James "Bubba" Stewart is the fastest man ever to ride.
The Last Jedi: Lightsaber Training Featurette (possible spoilers).

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2017, 15:10 Sepharo

Well I have to work with what you give me... You used piloting as an example, and of all the things to pick from that'd be the worst one if you want to contrast.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2017, 13:54 jdreyer

Sepharo wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 12:14:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 15:48:

There's a difference between Anakin and Luke, and Rey. Luke and Anakin showed force-influenced abilities before getting training, like piloting.

Rey is a pilot and scrapper at the beginning of her story just like Anakin and Luke. Pay attention.

The question wasn't whether Rey was a pilot or not, but that she displayed pure force powers without training, vs. just having the force influence innate abilities like piloting (Luke, Anakin).

It's as if Luke, while rescuing Leia from the Death Star suddenly started choking out stormtroopers using the force.

Stay a while, and listen.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2017, 12:14 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 15:48:

There's a difference between Anakin and Luke, and Rey. Luke and Anakin showed force-influenced abilities before getting training, like piloting.

Rey is a pilot and scrapper at the beginning of her story just like Anakin and Luke. Pay attention.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 20:58 Redmask

StingingVelvet wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 09:53:
Like Anakin in TPM and Luke in ANH. That's how it works with people who are very "strong in the force." This argument about "mary sue" stuff is like a big glowing red neon sign that screams reddit red pill weirdo.

Is this descender returned to defend this turd? No one gives a shit about Anakin but Luke at least had some history in his activities before he gets a plot device to move things forward. Rey sucks not because shes a woman but because the movie makes her able to do everything well. Rey basically made the entire heroes arc of Luke in a single film, its absurd and indefensible.

The argument about red pill weirdo is just a glowing neon sign that screams "douche who can't stand someone disagreeing with him".

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 15:48 jdreyer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 01:13:
The character is a literal mary sue, that gains the ability to do super things without having to put in the effort to get there.

Like Anakin in TPM and Luke in ANH. That's how it works with people who are very "strong in the force." This argument about "mary sue" stuff is like a big glowing red neon sign that screams reddit red pill weirdo.

There's a difference between Anakin and Luke, and Rey. Luke and Anakin showed force-influenced abilities before getting training, like piloting. Rey displayed the full panoply of pure force powers like mind control and lightsaber proficiency despite having no training. It breaks the suspension of disbelief.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 15:40 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 09:51:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 01:23:
SimplyMonk wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 16:57:

I mean... Rey is probably a better role model than most other women portrayed in film or TV.
The character is a literal mary sue, that gains the ability to do super things without having to put in the effort to get there. It doesn't get any worse for a role model, in trying to teach any kid that you can become excellent if you simply suddenly gain some form of "specialness" You want good role models from the star wars universe? The exile is a good example.

There are far better role models in movies then Rey, far better in TV. Hell you'd be better off handing a young girl the "wheel of time" novels and letting them see how flawed characters, who through hard work can achieve great things even by trial and error.

Yeah, that movie is terrible, and her magical powers are a big part of that. I rewatched a couple of weeks ago since the new movie is coming out (and I have high hopes, b/c Rian Johnson is amazing) and I still hate it. "Oh, but the characters have chemistry and charisma!" Fuck that, the plot is derivative of the earlier movies, and the story is a series of unbelievable coincidences.

I understand that Disney is so high on the upcoming movie that they're letting Johnson pen a brand new trilogy from scratch. High praise indeed, and I hope their trust is well-placed.

Don't encourage him. He just wants to use the word "Mary Sue." If Rey was a male he'd be ok with it.

Broken clock, and all that.

26. Re: GeForce Experience 3.0 Released Dec 5, 2017, 15:38 jdreyer

Gojo wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 09:33:
Been a daily (almost) lurker since about the beginning. Geeze, I just realized I created an account here almost 17 years ago? I remember when one of the 'nerd herd' (group of gamer friends at work) was sick, it was their duty to send a copy of Blues News to the group at work via email. This was before smart phones and our work internet was locked down pretty tight around 1997-98ish.

I don't read the comments very much so would like to know the best way to support this site now that the amazon program has ended. Would love to fully support many more years of quality game journalism.

Seriously, Blue. Start a freaking Patreon already. There's no shame in it. You're providing a daily news service. Let us subscribe!

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 12:18 RedEye9

The character is a literal mary sue, that gains the ability to do super things without having to put in the effort to get there.

With a side of 4chan reject, you nailed it.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 09:53 StingingVelvet

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 09:51 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 01:23:

I mean... Rey is probably a better role model than most other women portrayed in film or TV.
The character is a literal mary sue, that gains the ability to do super things without having to put in the effort to get there. It doesn't get any worse for a role model, in trying to teach any kid that you can become excellent if you simply suddenly gain some form of "specialness" You want good role models from the star wars universe? The exile is a good example.

There are far better role models in movies then Rey, far better in TV. Hell you'd be better off handing a young girl the "wheel of time" novels and letting them see how flawed characters, who through hard work can achieve great things even by trial and error.

Yeah, that movie is terrible, and her magical powers are a big part of that. I rewatched a couple of weeks ago since the new movie is coming out (and I have high hopes, b/c Rian Johnson is amazing) and I still hate it. "Oh, but the characters have chemistry and charisma!" Fuck that, the plot is derivative of the earlier movies, and the story is a series of unbelievable coincidences.

I understand that Disney is so high on the upcoming movie that they're letting Johnson pen a brand new trilogy from scratch. High praise indeed, and I hope their trust is well-placed.

Don't encourage him. He just wants to use the word "Mary Sue." If Rey was a male he'd be ok with it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

22. Re: GeForce Experience 3.0 Released Dec 5, 2017, 09:33 Gojo

Been a daily (almost) lurker since about the beginning. Geeze, I just realized I created an account here almost 17 years ago? I remember when one of the 'nerd herd' (group of gamer friends at work) was sick, it was their duty to send a copy of Blues News to the group at work via email. This was before smart phones and our work internet was locked down pretty tight around 1997-98ish.

I don't read the comments very much so would like to know the best way to support this site now that the amazon program has ended. Would love to fully support many more years of quality game journalism.

=-Gojo-=

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 05:54 Hoop

For those with ASrock motherboards they have released a fix for the
Intel Management Engine Critical Firmware Update (Intel-SA-00086)
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html
The Asrock link lists those boards affected & in need of it.
Read carefully, I went through a USB dos boot install.
If you haven't been made aware of this many brands are releasing fixes.

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 01:29 jdreyer

How will humanity react to alien life- Psychologists have some predictions.

I think we know how humanity will respond to alien life, because Vasquez showed us.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2017, 01:23 jdreyer

18. No subject Dec 5, 2017, 01:13 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 21:17  Blue 

Acleacius wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 19:01:
Cool, I just used the address to make it my default Amazon link, thanks!

No need... we were booted from Amazon's affiliate program for the way the links were presented. If we get re-accepted, the way we are compensated won't change, but the links will have to be their normal programmatic ads, and not the static links we presented before.

That said, thank you all for the support you offered through the referral links, it's greatly appreciated. Hopefully they will re-accept us and we can continue to use the program under their terms. But if we do, it will be with a new affiliate code, the old one is now dead as disco. I probably shouldn't address too directly so much going forward, as making oblique references to compensation from the program is the type of thing that gets one booted... guess it's a little like fight club.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 19:01 Acleacius

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 18:47:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 18:13:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 17:57:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 16:49:
Does anyone else see Blue's Amazon partnership link? I only seem to be getting GoogleAds atm and want to go to Amazon. Unless as usual, I'm behind the times and Blue no longer partners?

I originally copied the code to add on manually but Blue once ask me to just use the link. He didn't want Amazon to think there was any funny business. So atm, I'm flying blind on Amazon without my Blue Backstage Pass! Rockstar
I think there's a way to set up Blues as the recipient directly on Amazon so you don't need the link. I Can't look it up on my phone.
Thanks, I'll keep a look out. I can always enter the code to make sure, just don't tell Blue!
Earlier this year I clicked on the links and pasted the info into this post. I can't guarantee that is has not changed.
Cool, I just used the address to make it my default Amazon link, thanks!

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 18:47 RedEye9

Acleacius wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 18:13:
Does anyone else see Blue's Amazon partnership link? I only seem to be getting GoogleAds atm and want to go to Amazon. Unless as usual, I'm behind the times and Blue no longer partners?

I originally copied the code to add on manually but Blue once ask me to just use the link. He didn't want Amazon to think there was any funny business. So atm, I'm flying blind on Amazon without my Blue Backstage Pass! Rockstar
I think there's a way to set up Blues as the recipient directly on Amazon so you don't need the link. I Can't look it up on my phone.
Thanks, I'll keep a look out. I can always enter the code to make sure, just don't tell Blue!
Earlier this year I clicked on the links and pasted the info into this post. I can't guarantee that is has not changed.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 18:13 Acleacius

Its a sad day for America when people believe women, The Drumpf

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2017, 17:57 jdreyer

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo