Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 6, 2017, 13:05 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 21:46:
Think you messed up your quoting there, jd...

Yah. The perils of replying by phone from work.

Stay a while, and listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 5, 2017, 21:46 Mr. Tact

Think you messed up your quoting there, jd...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 5, 2017, 16:06 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 14:02:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 12:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 19:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 17:45:
The internet people are not a small minority anymore.
Depends on how you definite "internet people". If you mean, people who interact with the Internet in some way on a regular basis, you are correct. If you mean, people who use computers, generally understand how they work, and comprehend the issues which will arise from Ajit Pai's actions -- then you are wrong.

I'm talking people that use it and PAY for it. You don't need to have an understanding beyond cost and restrictions of service.
So you think when this happens and someone's Netflix (or whatever) gets throttled by Comcast or AT&T they'll realize it is because of the change of regulations at the FCC and will blame the GOP and vote them out of office? You my friend are living in fantasy land.

What will happen is Joe Smoe will call his provider and say, "Netfilx isn't working." And the friendly person on the phone will say, "Oh, you probably need to be upgraded to the better bandwidth package. It is only $25 more a month. Would you like me to do that?" And Joe will have no clue that it would work fine if the provider wasn't purposely screwing over Netflix throughput.
This x1000.

Next year, I'll open Blues News, and it will take a minute to load. 30s later, an overlay will pop up: "Site loading slowly? Tired of delays? Upgrade to Platinum Power now! (Sponsored by Comcast)

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2017, 13:11.

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 5, 2017, 14:02 Mr. Tact

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 5, 2017, 12:39:
Depends on how you definite "internet people". If you mean, people who interact with the Internet in some way on a regular basis, you are correct. If you mean, people who use computers, generally understand how they work, and comprehend the issues which will arise from Ajit Pai's actions -- then you are wrong.

I'm talking people that use it and PAY for it. You don't need to have an understanding beyond cost and restrictions of service.
So you think when this happens and someone's Netflix (or whatever) gets throttled by Comcast or AT&T they'll realize it is because of the change of regulations at the FCC and will blame the GOP and vote them out of office? You my friend are living in fantasy land.

What will happen is Joe Smoe will call his provider and say, "Netfilx isn't working." And the friendly person on the phone will say, "Oh, you probably need to be upgraded to the better bandwidth package. It is only $25 more a month. Would you like me to do that?" And Joe will have no clue that it would work fine if the provider wasn't purposely screwing over Netflix throughput.

13. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 5, 2017, 12:39 HorrorScope

12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 5, 2017, 12:39 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 18:07:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 17:48:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 15:29:
Right, I'm not a single issue voter. A lot of the commenters on this board are politically sophisticated. That being said, at my age if it comes down to Social Security vs Net Neutrality, it's no contest.

The good news in that choice, they align to the same parties:

Dems:
For SS
For Net Neutrality

Repbus:
Scaled back SS
No Net Neut

Hard choice, no? You have to be someone that has life made in the shade and needs nothing but more laws to protect your business to vote Repub these days.

Right, but my point is that older voters might put NN further down the list compared to Millennials.

And that is their right, not that you are questioning it. But that is where others have to make up for it and vote. Grandma and Grandpa also use technology these days, if there is a link between this ruling and restriction/higher prices perhaps even they will see it. Thing is SS And NN align the same way. As does reduced healthcare and many other things. Can they put their pride aside? I say yes when it hurts enough.

11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 19:05 Mr. Tact

10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 18:07 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 17:48:
Right, I'm not a single issue voter. A lot of the commenters on this board are politically sophisticated. That being said, at my age if it comes down to Social Security vs Net Neutrality, it's no contest.

Dems:
For SS
For Net Neutrality

Repbus:
Scaled back SS
No Net Neut

Hard choice, no? You have to be someone that has life made in the shade and needs nothing but more laws to protect your business to vote Repub these days.

Right, but my point is that older voters might put NN further down the list compared to Millennials.

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 17:48 HorrorScope

Dems:
For SS
For Net Neutrality

Repbus:
Scaled back SS
No Net Neut

8. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 17:45 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 14:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 13:17:
But it would affect me, would it affect you. If the NET were to change in a very bad way. I'd vote on that single issue above abortion or gays. That is me. What are you? It depends if this issue weighs that much for you.
Many on this board would probably agree Net Neutrality was a good thing. We are a small minority of the voting population.

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 15:29 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 02:02:
Yeah, lots of voters are "single issue voters" and vote based on that one issue. That's why Moore will win: he'll vote against "teh gays" and against "baby killers."

As for Net Neutrality, that's an issue that Millennials care about most. And they don't vote.

But it would affect me, would it affect you. If the NET were to change in a very bad way. I'd vote on that single issue above abortion or gays. That is me. What are you? It depends if this issue weighs that much for you.

6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 14:11 Mr. Tact

Many on this board would probably agree Net Neutrality was a good thing. We are a small minority of the voting population.

5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 13:17 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 02:02:
Yeah, lots of voters are "single issue voters" and vote based on that one issue. That's why Moore will win: he'll vote against "teh gays" and against "baby killers."

As for Net Neutrality, that's an issue that Millennials care about most. And they don't vote.

4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 4, 2017, 02:02 jdreyer

3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 3, 2017, 23:11 Mr. Tact

Oh, and more importantly the AT&T clown (Ed Whitacre) who is quoted in the article as saying in 2005:
Why should they be allowed to use my pipes? The internet can't be free in that sense, because we and the cable companies have made an investment and for a Google or Yahoo or Vonage or anybody to expect to use these pipes free is nuts.
He is either a total fucking idiot or simply lying through his teeth. His pipes? Free? I double dog dare Mr. Whitacre to point to a single AT&T circuit which is free. Someone is paying for the damn circuit. As someone who worked closely with all the telcos for nearly two decades I can guarantee you it is much more likely they are charging people for circuits which don't exist than anyone is using one for "free". AT&T's only issue is they aren't making as much money providing the bandwidth as the people creating the content.

2. Re: The FCC Wants to Kill Net Neutrality. But Congress Will Pay the Price. Dec 3, 2017, 22:53 Mr. Tact

Wired is having a wet dream if they think the end of Net Neutrality will lead to the loss of a single seat in Congress. The Net Neutrality issue will get lost in a wave of election nonsense about abortion laws, gay rights, "job creation" and a host of other things even in the districts which include Silicon valley.

Call me an elitist pig if you want, but I believe most elections are decided by idiots voting based on "issues" which are false flags or are irrelevant to them. Like second amendments clowns claiming the government wants to take away all their guns.

1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 3, 2017, 17:26 Cutter

Way to go mes amis! Stick it those fuckers! Only evil pigfuckers support Apple!

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo