Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2017, 18:48 Mordecai Walfish

The leveling of the world around your character brought such an artificial feel to progression in the games. Morrowind had some true david vs goliath moments where you could survive if you used strategy and were often rewarded very well for doing so. That is a part of role playing games that I very much enjoy and it sucked having to use mods to restore basic rpg elements to the consolized games that the elder scrolls have become.  

†††††††††
"No, let me clarify - if you don't watch it, I'll be wearing your ass for a shoe."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 2, 2017, 18:22 Creston

I loved Oblivion and Skyrim, but I loved them because of the mods. Bethesda gets a lot of kudos from me for the fact that they've always been so supportive of mods, and that their games are so massively mod'able, but at the same time, they have a very "ah fuck it, the community will patch it" attitude to metric assloads of bugs.

Do you not remember all the bullshit that happened with the initial release of Skyrim? That some guy in the community had to figure out that there was a bit of code wrong in the engine, and he wrote like a five line patch that increased everyone's performance by like 20fps, and then finally three patches later Bethesda finally goes "yeah, maybe we should use that." How about the absolutely god-awful UI that was basically impossible to use with a m/kb?

Or how about the Special Edition, that released with absolutely TERRIBLE audio quality files, because apparently nobody could be bothered to test anything, and the community put a mod out within a few hours that just gave you the original Skyrim's sounds.

Bethesda does a lot of things half-assed. The fact that their games are still so good is both a testament to their talent, but also makes me wonder how good their games COULD be if they finally started giving more of a shit.

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2017, 18:35.

3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 2, 2017, 15:13 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 12:54:
"It gets the job doneóbut we expected more" is kind of the motto for Bethesda's games since Morrowind.

Really? Well that's like your opinion, man.

I really liked both Oblivion and Skyrim, even if I thought Morrowind was a more creative game.

Stay a while, and listen.

2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 2, 2017, 15:11 jacobvandy

Expected more from a free patch to support 4K and HDR with a last-gen game on your better hardware? What more do you want? It's not like they'd be able to cram the high-res texture pack in there or anything, especially if they're already scaling down as low as 2944x2160 to keep the framerate steady.  

1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 2, 2017, 12:54 Creston

"It gets the job doneóbut we expected more" is kind of the motto for Bethesda's games since Morrowind.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo