Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to Redwood, the O.G. Quake webmaster. It's hard to believe it's been over 20 years since we met, since he was probably about 20 at the time. Red and his work were an inspiration for me, and he was an early supporter of this site, so you probably wouldn't be reading these words were it not for him. I'm raising a glass to you today, Redwood, even if I have to hire a cherry picker to get reach it up to you.

Inspired Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Contradiction.
Stories: This Scientist Wants to Bring Star Trek Values to Congress.
Waffle House Customer Cooks Own Meal After Finding Employee Asleep.
A man's 'Do not resuscitate' tattoo left doctors debating whether to save his life.
Science: Full Moon Sunday Kicks Off 'Supermoon Trilogy,' Including a Lunar Eclipse.
SpaceX will attempt to launch a red Tesla Roadster to the red planet.
After 37 years, Voyager 1 has fired up its trajectory thrusters. Time to get Captain Kirk on the case.
Media: The Rock Star Artist Carving Portraits Through Time.
Australian TV Host Nearly Killed By Coke Bottle Rocket. So close to a Darwin award.
Firebird Transition Startles an Audience Member.
Follow-up: DOJ: We want Martin Shkreli’s Enigma machine, Wu-Tang album, and $7.3 million. But mostly the album.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Redwood! Dec 3, 2017, 19:52 Ant

Redwood, Sean Martin, ran Stomped gaming web site back like in the 90s. https://web.archive.org/web/19990101000000*/http://stomped.com for the archived web site copies. Is he even online actively? He must have many rings now. Belated birthday, old tree!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2017, 11:46 RedEye9

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 3, 2017, 10:43:
The issue I have with No Man's Sky is that it was over-hyped, the gameplayt shallow, the developers literally lied to the audience and yet they're still trying to charge £40/$54 for it. That's a fucking insult.

I'll pass thanks.
Sounds a lot like Star Citizen.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

34. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2017, 11:33 Mr. Tact

I picked up NMS for $24 during a Steam sale, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I got caught up in Factorio again. Playing a mod pack called "Sea Block" which is an allegory to Minecraft's "Sky Block".  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2017, 10:43 theyarecomingforyou

The issue I have with No Man's Sky is that it was over-hyped, the gameplayt shallow, the developers literally lied to the audience and yet they're still trying to charge £40/$54 for it. That's a fucking insult.

I'll pass thanks.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280GB / 30" Hazro HZ30Wie

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2017, 01:36 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 15:43:
So, I broke down and bought No Man's Sky on TG. I'm 20 hours in and really enjoying it. I haven't had such pure exploration joy since Oblivion or Asheron's Call. I love slowly cruising over an alien landscape, landing, seeing bizarre alien flora and fauna, going to a different planet and seeing entirely different landscape, flora, and fauna. And it's all so colorful and whimsical, especially at night with the bioluminescence. I think they've really tweaked it well since the launch issues they had.

I happened upon a downed bulk hauler with all of its systems burned out. It was very satisfying to get all the resources, craft the parts, and get her in the air again.

Also, I like how they drip out the central mystery bit by bit. Apparently, this is the new campaign that replaced the original, and so far I'm motivated to keep following the bread crumbs.

It's not perfect, of course. The procedural generation template is obvious. Space is full of stupid asteroids everywhere to let you recharge your thrusters should they run dry. The combat is still pretty weak. I've taken to just running away from pirates at this point since that's not my motivation for playing the game. And having to recharge my stuff constantly is a chore. Looking to get some auto resource generation set up so I don't need to do as much of that.

Anyway, I recommend it if any of the above sounds interesting to you.

i've been meaning to check it out with all the new updates in place; i played it at release and before i knew it racked up over 120 hours. just cruising around, collecting stuff, blowing the shit out of sentinels. it's an excellent exploration game; it reminded me of how much i enjoyed the mako segments way back in mass effect 1, the sense of isolation and discovery. i'm glad to hear someone else here has been able to enjoy it.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 23:24 jdreyer

Full Moon Sunday Kicks Off 'Supermoon Trilogy,' Including a Lunar Eclipse.

Sounds like a true three wolf moon.

Also, HL3 confirmeded!!1

Stay a while, and listen.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 21:40 Rigs

Blue wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 20:25:
Rigs wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:48:
Ah, I see. I had a somewhat similar problem a few weeks ago where it would update, supposedly, and that was it. It wouldn't log in or start proper, it would just keep trying to update (and seemingly fail). My solution was to reinstall STEAM under safe mode. Later on, where I got hit again, I just ran the update under safe mode and logged in also under safe mode and there after I haven't had a problem. Try doing it in safe mode and see if it helps any.

Worked like a charm. Thanks very much.

You're very welcome! I'm glad it worked out.

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 21:39 Cutter

MajorD wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:06:
Yes, it was a great segment. The mathematician, can't remember his name ATM, that calculated the sling-shotting of both Voyagers around the other planets is just amazing.

What blows me away, is that it has been traveling at almost 40,000 MPH for just over 40 years now, and Voyager 1 is just barely outside our solar system, and Voyager 2 is in the heliosphere. Now, our solar system is just a dot in Orion's arm of the Milky way galaxy, which is70,000 (70,000 years for light to travel from earth to the center of the Milky Way galaxy. And then you think about there being billions of other galaxies in the ever growing universe. It just makes my brain twitch thinking how small and insignificant we really are.....

Monty Python's Galaxy Song

Whenever life gets you down Mrs. Brown
And things seem hard or tough
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft
And you feel that you've had quite enough...

Just, remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned
A sun that is the source of all our power

The sun, and you and me, and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm at forty thousand miles an hour
Of the galaxy we call the Milky Way

Our galaxy itself, contains a hundred billion stars
It's a hundred thousand light years side-to-side
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick
But out by us its just three thousand light years wide

We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point
We go round every two hundred million years
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whiz
As fast as it can go, the speed of light you know
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is

So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure
How amazingly unlikely is your birth
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
Cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 20:25  Blue 

Rigs wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:48:
Ah, I see. I had a somewhat similar problem a few weeks ago where it would update, supposedly, and that was it. It wouldn't log in or start proper, it would just keep trying to update (and seemingly fail). My solution was to reinstall STEAM under safe mode. Later on, where I got hit again, I just ran the update under safe mode and logged in also under safe mode and there after I haven't had a problem. Try doing it in safe mode and see if it helps any.

Worked like a charm. Thanks very much.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

27. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 20:06 Mr. Tact

MajorD wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:56:
Also, did you see the 60 Minutes segment on the Hubble Space Telescope several weeks before? That was good one too.
Yeah. Most of it was stuff I had already seen on other shows. But knowing the kind of problems they had and amazingly fixed, gives me some concern about the upcoming James Webb telescope. They can't have ANY of the mistakes they made with Hubble because we won't be able to fix it after launch... I'll be crossing my fingers big time when they launch JWST. Which was recently pushed back to Spring 2019...

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2017, 20:21.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 19:56 MajorD

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:45:

Yep. Something I knew ('cause I'm a nerd and I watch the science shows) but I assume is not widely known, the information we got from Voyager totally changed the definition of what the solar system is, and where it ends. Saw somewhere that in 40,000 years, both Voyagers will be within 2 light years of other stars...

Yeah, I'm a nerd that way too. Fascinating stuff, and we know so much more now than we did 40 years ago, and know so little now compared to what we'll know in 50 years, and beyond if we don't die from our own greenhouse effects.

Also, did you see the 60 Minutes segment on the Hubble Space Telescope several weeks before? That was good one too.

Still counting...

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 19:48 Rigs

Blue wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:00:
Rigs wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 18:41:
Blue, are you having trouble staying online tonight or is STEAM giving you a hard time? I've seen the notification 'Blue is online' about twelve times in the last two hours. Not complaining, just concerned...and curious.

EDIT: Make that fourteen times now.

=-Rigs-=

I'm battling Steam right now. I noticed a client update notification, which is for an October 11th patch. I tell it to install, and it retarts, but still says the same update is available.

I can still play games, which is different from all the posts I've found about client update problems. I've tried restarting my computer, and I've tried deleting the download cache, but the problem persists. Hence all the restarts.

This was my way of seeing how deficient Steam's support section seems to be. There's a Steam Client area, that has no option to cover my problem, and no way to research a problem they don't list.

In desperation I've turned to the Steam Support forums. We'll see what happens.

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 19:45 Mr. Tact

MajorD wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 19:06:
What blows me away, is that it has been traveling at almost 40,000 MPH for just over 40 years now, and Voyager 1 is just barely outside our solar system, and Voyager to is in the heliosphere.
Yep. Something I knew ('cause I'm a nerd and I watch the science shows) but I assume is not widely known, the information we got from Voyager totally changed the definition of what the solar system is, and where it ends. Saw somewhere that in 40,000 years, both Voyagers will be within 2 light years of other stars...

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 19:06 MajorD

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 18:45:
Did you all see the recent 60 Minutes segment on Voyager? Some great stats were given.

Your smart phone has 240,000 times more memory and 100,000 times more processing power than Voyager.

The transmitter uses less power than a refrigerator light bulb.

The planet alignment which allowed the chain of planet gravity assists, greatly reducing the travel time, happens once every 176 years.

It is without a stunning achievement.

Yes, it was a great segment. The mathematician, can't remember his name ATM, that calculated the sling-shotting of both Voyagers around the other planets is just amazing.

What blows me away, is that it has been traveling at almost 40,000 MPH for just over 40 years now, and Voyager 1 is just barely outside our solar system, and Voyager 2 is in the heliosphere. Now, our solar system is just a dot in Orion's arm of the Milky way galaxy, which is70,000 (70,000 years for light to travel from earth to the center of the Milky Way galaxy. And then you think about there being billions of other galaxies in the ever growing universe. It just makes my brain twitch thinking how small and insignificant we really are.....

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2017, 19:50.

Still counting...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 19:00  Blue 

Rigs wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 18:41:
Blue, are you having trouble staying online tonight or is STEAM giving you a hard time? I've seen the notification 'Blue is online' about twelve times in the last two hours. Not complaining, just concerned...and curious.

=-Rigs-=

I'm battling Steam right now. I noticed a client update notification, which is for an October 11th patch. I tell it to install, and it retarts, but still says the same update is available.

I can still play games, which is different from all the posts I've found about client update problems. I've tried restarting my computer, and I've tried deleting the download cache, but the problem persists. Hence all the restarts.

This was my way of seeing how deficient Steam's support section seems to be. There's a Steam Client area, that has no option to cover my problem, and no way to research a problem they don't list.

In desperation I've turned to the Steam Support forums. We'll see what happens.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 18:51 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 15:20:
Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 15:04:

If someone has a DNR tattoo it should be common sense not to. I'm actually getting my will done this year and get all that sort of stuff in line so there's never any confusion like this. Why in the hell did it take them so long to find his DRN order on file? And the had to consult an ethical consultant - that's an actual thing that people pay money for? Are you fucking kidding me? And people wonder why medicine is so outrageously overpriced.

DNR notices are clear, when looking at them after the fact or from the sidelines, but when you have seconds to make up your mind to resuscitate or not, and all you have to go on is a tattoo, then it can be a bit of a gray area. It takes time to find the actual legal documents for DNR, which might not even be on file in the state/country the patient is getting treatment in. There are already cases of people with DNR tattoos who ASKED to be saved when they regained consciousness... it's not as simple as you'd think, and tattoos are not legally binding documents in the USA, as far as I know. For the record, the hospital's ethics department decided to correctly honor the tattoo.

Yes, I know they're not legally binding but if someone has gone to the time and expense of doing it where it's prominent, and particularly if they're older - guy was 70 and lots of health problems - than COMMON SENSE should dictate what his wishes are. If they bring him back against his wishes they'll still get sued anyway.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 18:45 Mr. Tact

Did you all see the recent 60 Minutes segment on Voyager? Some great stats were given.

Your smart phone has 240,000 times more memory and 100,000 times more processing power than Voyager.

The transmitter uses less power than a refrigerator light bulb.

The planet alignment which allowed the chain of planet gravity assists, greatly reducing the travel time, happens once every 176 years.

It is without a stunning achievement.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 18:41 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 18:28 Fantaz

Happy Birthday Redwood! his site was the gaming news i used to visit daily before discovering Blue's News  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 18:05 Bishi

I don't post here often but this pulled a heart string.
I've read gaming news here a since the very beginning.
I loved what red and stomped did back in the day and it's so great that blues has barely changed.
It may seem funny but it's literally the only page in my list of pages that i open up almost every single day for more than 20 years.
Now i really feel old.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo