Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to Redwood, the O.G. Quake webmaster. It's hard to believe it's been over 20 years since we met, since he was probably about 20 at the time. Red and his work were an inspiration for me, and he was an early supporter of this site, so you probably wouldn't be reading these words were it not for him. I'm raising a glass to you today, Redwood, even if I have to hire a cherry picker to get reach it up to you.

Inspired Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Contradiction.
Stories: This Scientist Wants to Bring Star Trek Values to Congress.
Waffle House Customer Cooks Own Meal After Finding Employee Asleep.
A man's 'Do not resuscitate' tattoo left doctors debating whether to save his life.
Science: Full Moon Sunday Kicks Off 'Supermoon Trilogy,' Including a Lunar Eclipse.
SpaceX will attempt to launch a red Tesla Roadster to the red planet.
After 37 years, Voyager 1 has fired up its trajectory thrusters. Time to get Captain Kirk on the case.
Media: The Rock Star Artist Carving Portraits Through Time.
Australian TV Host Nearly Killed By Coke Bottle Rocket. So close to a Darwin award.
Firebird Transition Startles an Audience Member.
Follow-up: DOJ: We want Martin Shkreli’s Enigma machine, Wu-Tang album, and $7.3 million. But mostly the album.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

16. Re: Voyager Dec 2, 2017, 17:47 eRe4s3r

It's even more amazing when you consider that the EU asteroid lander had 3 failed landing systems and that was built 20 years later....

They really don't built them like they used to. And it makes this achievement all the more impressive by NASA of old. But nowadays nothing like this could ever be built... too much meddling, too little drive for perfection and not enough money.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 17:16 MajorD

Happy Birthday Redwood!

Still counting...

14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 17:07 Dr donkles

Not sure who Redwood is sadly. I was busy fingering help@idsoftware every day for new quake news, and in alt.games.quake otherwise.

Ahh I miss the Quake 1 deathmatching days.

edit: was there ever a bluesnews IRC channel? Hmm, IRC is still around surprisingly.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 16:24 RedEye9

Nasa is happy that they chose the more expensive Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems thruster versus the cheaper Acme vershun.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 15:43 jdreyer

So, I broke down and bought No Man's Sky on TG. I'm 20 hours in and really enjoying it. I haven't had such pure exploration joy since Oblivion or Asheron's Call. I love slowly cruising over an alien landscape, landing, seeing bizarre alien flora and fauna, going to a different planet and seeing entirely different landscape, flora, and fauna. And it's all so colorful and whimsical, especially at night with the bioluminescence. I think they've really tweaked it well since the launch issues they had.

I happened upon a downed bulk hauler with all of its systems burned out. It was very satisfying to get all the resources, craft the parts, and get her in the air again.

Also, I like how they drip out the central mystery bit by bit. Apparently, this is the new campaign that replaced the original, and so far I'm motivated to keep following the bread crumbs.

It's not perfect, of course. The procedural generation template is obvious. Space is full of stupid asteroids everywhere to let you recharge your thrusters should they run dry. The combat is still pretty weak. I've taken to just running away from pirates at this point since that's not my motivation for playing the game. And having to recharge my stuff constantly is a chore. Looking to get some auto resource generation set up so I don't need to do as much of that.

Anyway, I recommend it if any of the above sounds interesting to you.

Stay a while, and listen.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 15:21 Fingers M

Happy Birthday Red  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 15:20 MoreLuckThanSkill

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 15:04:

If someone has a DNR tattoo it should be common sense not to. I'm actually getting my will done this year and get all that sort of stuff in line so there's never any confusion like this. Why in the hell did it take them so long to find his DRN order on file? And the had to consult an ethical consultant - that's an actual thing that people pay money for? Are you fucking kidding me? And people wonder why medicine is so outrageously overpriced.

DNR notices are clear, when looking at them after the fact or from the sidelines, but when you have seconds to make up your mind to resuscitate or not, and all you have to go on is a tattoo, then it can be a bit of a gray area. It takes time to find the actual legal documents for DNR, which might not even be on file in the state/country the patient is getting treatment in. There are already cases of people with DNR tattoos who ASKED to be saved when they regained consciousness... it's not as simple as you'd think, and tattoos are not legally binding documents in the USA, as far as I know. For the record, the hospital's ethics department decided to correctly honor the tattoo.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 15:15 Mr. Tact

Damn! I was set to post about Voyager 1 firing its' thrusters after 37 years. A seriously cool story.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 15:04 Cutter

Star Trek values? How about just basic human decency? It's cute how she believes she can make a difference in the Oligarchic States of America.

If someone has a DNR tattoo it should be common sense not to. I'm actually getting my will done this year and get all that sort of stuff in line so there's never any confusion like this. Why in the hell did it take them so long to find his DRN order on file? And the had to consult an ethical consultant - that's an actual thing that people pay money for? Are you fucking kidding me? And people wonder why medicine is so outrageously overpriced.

So needlessly wasting resources and putting more junk into space and Mars both. Yeah, really environmentally friendly, Elon.

I doubt humanity will still be around by the time Vger makes his return so at least that'll save him from having to eradicate the carbon units.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 14:42 Hoop

Wow that Quake wiki brings back some memories, thanks for still being in the game Blue.

Um .. Behind you...

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 14:22  Blue 

Nucas wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 12:44:
i was such a latecomer to pc gaming (i mean compared to the usual blues demo), i've never heard the name redwood before; what site did he run?
in any event, a happy birthday to you mate. games at large owe a lot to the culture shapers like him and you too, blue.

Sadly some editor on Wikipedia long ago purged info on sites like this and Red's. Here's word from
the Quake Wiki:

Redwood's Quake Page is widely regarded as the first of the 'daily update' Quake sites, originating in early 1996. It's lead webmaster, Sean Martin, was a beta tester for the original Quake. Today, this website offers news multiple times daily at it's new home at Stomped.Com, occasionally focusing on computer hardware issues for the more technically oriented, as they relate to Quake.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 14:04 Hoop

Happy Birthday Red.  

Um .. Behind you...

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 13:16 jdreyer

This Scientist Wants to Bring Star Trek Values to Congress.

#KlingonLivesMatter

Stay a while, and listen.

3. Re: ...Nearly Killed By Coke Bottle Rocket. Dec 2, 2017, 12:58 afka Rossini

That was some rocket. Even before it launched, I was disturbed by the woman holding the Coke bottle with her bare hands as the guy poured liquid nitrogen into it. Sure he was using a funnel but given how skittish she was, what would have happened if that had spilled onto her hands?

Re: Wu-Tang: If the government takes it, we the people own it. Do we all get to hear it?

2. Voyager Dec 2, 2017, 12:57 Creston

That is absolutely amazing. Those things haven't fired for 37 years, and after all that time in space, they STILL WORK.

The fact we can still communicate with it is almost unbelievable. NASA has done so many absolutely incredible things. It's sad we no longer give them the funding necessary to do even 10% of the stuff they used to do.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 12:44 Nucas

i was such a latecomer to pc gaming (i mean compared to the usual blues demo), i've never heard the name redwood before; what site did he run?
in any event, a happy birthday to you mate. games at large owe a lot to the culture shapers like him and you too, blue.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo