Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is World AIDS Day. Word is the theme this year is "Increasing Impact through Transparency, Accountability, and Partnerships." The UNAIDS website offers some statistics to illustrate why this is such an important cause:

GLOBAL HIV STATISTICS

• 20.9 million people were accessing antiretroviral therapy in June 2017.
  • 36.7 million [30.8 million–42.9 million] people globally were living with HIV in 2016.
  • 1.8 million [1.6 million–2.1 million] people became newly infected with HIV in 2016.
  • 1 million [830 000–1.2 million] people died from AIDS-related illnesses in 2016.
  • 76.1 million [65.2 million–88.0 million] people have become infected with HIV since the start of the epidemic.
  • 35.0 million [28.9 million–41.5 million] people have died from AIDS-related illnesses since the start of the epidemic.

Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: City Drifting.
Story: Guy paints his own arrows on the road, in hopes of speeding up his commute.
Science: Dogs Are Brainier Than Cats, New Study Finds. I actually wouldn't have predicted that. Thanks RedEye9.
Media: BATMAN NINJA - Japanese Trailer English Subs.
UNDERTALE - Part 1 (React- Let's Plays).
Unlocking Tetris in a Russian car.
Rick and Morty: The Story You Never Knew.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 12:15 Nullity

Dogs Are Brainier Than Cats, New Study Finds

That's only because cats dedicate the majority of their brain-power and intelligence towards being crazy assholes. There just isn't much left over for anything else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 12:08 RedEye9

Over 2/3 of HIV and AIDS infections are in Africa.
Odd that the "no glove-no love" statement has not reached the uneducated yet, you'd think such a cute saying would be everywhere. /s
https://www.avert.org/global-hiv-and-aids-statistics

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 12:02 Cutter

Yeah gotta agree, numbers are way lower than what I thought they'd be. When will people learn? No glove, no love. Virtually almost all of those numbers were completely preventable, so I don't have a whole lot of sympathy. No different when lifelong smokers get cancer, or COPD or something and then seem surprised it happened to them. Where I live so many people still smoke. Given the health problems and the cost alone it just boggles the mind that people still do it.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 11:38 eRe4s3r

With modern blockers you can prevent the outbreak of Aids 100%, still leaves you with HIV and all the side effects, but aids related problems can be avoided (including death) nearly 50 or so years~ (so children with aids, sucks to be them, but adults can easily survive nowadays, if treatment is administered BEFORE the outbreak and shortly AFTER infection...) So if you think you might have been in danger, get your ass checked, it takes 30 minutes and if you don't have HIV all the better, and if you do and it's found out early enough, you can survive and never even SPREAD IT.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 11:18 The Half Elf

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 11:05:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 10:42:
Those AIDS stats are lower than I thought actually..

Given, 36 million people is the population of Canada where I live.. but still thought overall with 7 billion people on this planet that is very small number considering how bad AIDS is..
My thoughts exactly when i read those numbers.
I wonder what percentage is caused by iv drug use and sharing needles versus unprotected sex.

More scary question you should ask is: How many people knowingly have HIV and are purposely trying to spread it.

Had a very good friend, who was older (late 50's early 60's) who asked me to be his caretaker roughly 20 years ago. I had to refuse because I couldn't properly take care of myself, let alone the responsibility of him and his medical requirements, and I couldn't stand to watch him wither and die and go through such pain and torment.
With the improvements to HIV medications, he passed away a few years ago in his sleep. It was one of the hardest (if not the hardest) choice I've ever had to make, and feel guilty for it.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 11:05 RedEye9

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 10:42:

Given, 36 million people is the population of Canada where I live.. but still thought overall with 7 billion people on this planet that is very small number considering how bad AIDS is..
My thoughts exactly when i read those numbers.
I wonder what percentage is caused by iv drug use and sharing needles versus unprotected sex.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 10:42 Tipsy McStagger

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo