Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM VFR Released

Steam News announces the release of DOOM VFR, a virtual reality take on the most recent installment in id Software's first-person shooter series. This requires a headset, and unsurprisingly only supports HTC Vive (Bethesda and Oculus are still enemies). Here's word on the game:

Developed by id Software, the studio that pioneered the first-person shooter genre and modern VR, DOOMģ VFR brings the fast-paced, brutal gameplay fans of the series love to virtual reality. Immerse yourself in the UAC facility on Mars and the depths of Hell, as your skills are put to the test through intense combat and challenging puzzle-solving. Play as a cybernetic survivor who is activated by the UAC to fight the demon invasion, maintain order, and prevent catastrophic failure at the Mars facility. Lay waste to an army of demonic foes as you explore and interact with the outlandish world of DOOM from an entirely new perspective.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 15:02 HoSpanky

On a 1080 / 4790k, it pops up the Steam loading screen rather often, and the whole thing freezes up every few minutes, which it then comes back looking horribly blurry. When itís working, itís rather fun. The machine itís on has one single purpose, thereís no extraneous software that might chew up resources.

The game is clearly short...it handed me two new guns between a single fight. The problems can probably be ironed out, but Iíd hold off for now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 14:23 HorrorScope

Looks like they got it working with Rift now... I knew they would. SteamVR update even, not a fan hack.  

10. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 12:40 HorrorScope

Frijoles wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 22:28:
I was about to go buy it and saw the reviews. Sucks for Oculus, but saw that coming due to the lawsuit. I think I'm going to wait now until they get some patches or mods to fix the issues. That sucks.

If it is as bad as they day, more like good news for Oculus users saving money. But lets see how this is patched and most likely someone will get it to work with the Rift. If not, there's plenty of content.

9. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 09:46 gsilver

Well, at least the negative reviews so far have mostly been about issues that are patchable. Hopefully they fix it.  

8. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 09:43 Frijoles

HoSpanky wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 09:29:
A friend bought this, and I've got Family Sharing, so I'll download and test this in the next couple hours.

Looking forward to a review. I almost pulled the trigger anyway, but the one person who finished said it was 2.5 hours long. That's pretty damn short for $30, although about as expected for a VR game.

7. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 09:29 HoSpanky

The initial flood of bad reviews were heavily saturated with Rift owners. I do see all the reports of issues for Vive owners as well, but just as many saying it works fine on lesser hardware. Any demanding game that people run on the bare minimum hardware, there's bound to be people running other things in the background that they "don't think would affect it", and so they don't mention it.

A friend bought this, and I've got Family Sharing, so I'll download and test this in the next couple hours.

6. Re: DOOM VFR Released Dec 1, 2017, 02:57 Luke

The amateur will kill the vr like they killed 3d tv

We have to be the first..we have to be the first

Scare peeps away with your alpha beta release...amateur

5. Re: DOOM VFR Released Nov 30, 2017, 22:28 Frijoles

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 21:12:
lol, the reviews are being trashed by Oculus users who can't run it without a hack.

Getting trashed in the Vive subreddit also. Sounds pretty bad. Few points that keep coming up:

• Game is dropping back to Vive load screen every couple minutes, which it goes when it lags. This is on people with 1070

• No left hand option for guns

• Model attach point for the hand is wonky

• Standing too close to an enemy fires through it

• I was about to go buy it and saw the reviews. Sucks for Oculus, but saw that coming due to the lawsuit. I think I'm going to wait now until they get some patches or mods to fix the issues. That sucks.

4. Re: DOOM VFR Released Nov 30, 2017, 22:24 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 21:12:
    lol, the reviews are being trashed by Oculus users who can't run it without a hack.

Does it run it with a hack? Not sure there is one yet.

3. Re: DOOM VFR Released Nov 30, 2017, 21:12 HoSpanky

2. Re: DOOM VFR Released Nov 30, 2017, 20:40 Orogogus

Veinman wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 20:36:
    So is this the full game in VR, or something different?

Somewhat less, I'm given to understand:

UploadVR review

Rather than creating an original adventure from scratch, id has remixed the campaign from the excellent 2016 reboot for Doom VFR. It takes about a quarter of the locations and, from what I can remember, all of the enemies and weapons, dresses them up in a fresh but instantly forgettable story and tweaks the controls to make it as immersive and as comfortable as possible inside a VR headset. The result is a handful of levels forming a two to four-hour-long campaign depending on the difficulty you pick (I played on hard). Each of these will see you travel to different locations at the Union Aerospace Corporation on Mars, which is overrun by demons of all shapes and sizes. Without spoiling anything, youíll later visit another location seen in the 2016 campaign.

1. Re: DOOM VFR Released Nov 30, 2017, 20:36 Veinman

So is this the full game in VR, or something different?  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo