Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 1, 2017, 14:47 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 02:05:
Asmodai wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 01:51:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:54:
Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 14:55:
Somebody thank this kid in person for being one of the assholes that ruined gaming.

Someone thank this kid for being a hero and sharing his very embarrassing story. Nice victim blaming there Cres.

The dopamine hits in gaming shouldn't require you to pay for each one.

Victim of what? His own poor choices?

What's next, ban advertisement because Tiffany has a shoe addiction and ran up 5 credit cards worth of debt?

When are we going to stop holding the world at large responsible for being the baby sitter for people who cannot handle their problems? His parents tried to help him, he admits he has a problem, there are plenty of psychotherapists and addiction programs out there for people with addiction problems.

I don't like loot crates or pay2win mechanics, but the term "buyer beware" has gone by the by in this world. When there are actually still people living in the 3rd world and starving to death I find society getting it's panties in a twist about people who are driven enough to hold down two jobs to pay for their addictions a bit overdone...

The kid was fucking thirteen years old. Let's give you cigs at 13 and see how easy it is for you to quit.
What bothers me is why you even have to explain this to the above muppets.
Angry clueless white man is strong in this thread.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 1, 2017, 02:05 jdreyer

Asmodai wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 01:51:
Somebody thank this kid in person for being one of the assholes that ruined gaming.

Someone thank this kid for being a hero and sharing his very embarrassing story. Nice victim blaming there Cres.

What's next, ban advertisement because Tiffany has a shoe addiction and ran up 5 credit cards worth of debt?

When are we going to stop holding the world at large responsible for being the baby sitter for people who cannot handle their problems? His parents tried to help him, he admits he has a problem, there are plenty of psychotherapists and addiction programs out there for people with addiction problems.

I don't like loot crates or pay2win mechanics, but the term "buyer beware" has gone by the by in this world. When there are actually still people living in the 3rd world and starving to death I find society getting it's panties in a twist about people who are driven enough to hold down two jobs to pay for their addictions a bit overdone...

The kid was fucking thirteen years old. Let's give you cigs at 13 and see how easy it is for you to quit.

Stay a while, and listen.

10. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 1, 2017, 01:51 Asmodai

9. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 18:05 theyarecomingforyou

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 17:31:
Im not quite sure how you can even get addicted to such things. I mean, every time I feel the urge to pay for shit like that, because a game makes me get stuck (in a grind), to force me to pay for quicker and frustration-free progression, I just think about that all that I am paying for is literally a changed value in a line of code and then I quickly calculate (and I am not that great at math) how much I would spend if I kept doing it so it actually gets me somewhere and often get into the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

So they design their game to get me frustrated, and then expect me to pay a premium to not be frustrated anymore, and of course who wants to be frustrated again at some point, so they force you to keep paying over and over again to not get frustrated again! Who the hell likes to be manipulated like that and supports it by paying for it?

This always makes obvious that I am getting fooled and would only hurt myself paying for stuff like that. And no, I thought like that even when I was a teenager still, because that started back in the first MMOs already, where you could buy in-game currency or items from private sellers. It was obvious back then already.

And this guy mainly paid for skins! Skins! WTF? Why? How?
I too think that those who gamble away all their money are muppets but I recognise that these mechanisms are designed to hook people and trigger reward centres of the brain. Whilst I'm not one who is affected I still oppose loot boxes and other P2W mechanics due to how addictive and manipulative they are.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280GB / 30" Hazro HZ30Wie

8. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 17:31 Muscular Beaver

Im not quite sure how you can even get addicted to such things. I mean, every time I feel the urge to pay for shit like that, because a game makes me get stuck (in a grind), to force me to pay for quicker and frustration-free progression, I just think about that all that I am paying for is literally a changed value in a line of code and then I quickly calculate (and I am not that great at math) how much I would spend if I kept doing it so it actually gets me somewhere and often get into the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

So they design their game to get me frustrated, and then expect me to pay a premium to not be frustrated anymore, and of course who wants to be frustrated again at some point, so they force you to keep paying over and over again to not get frustrated again! Who the hell likes to be manipulated like that and supports it by paying for it?

This always makes obvious that I am getting fooled and would only hurt myself paying for stuff like that. And no, I thought like that even when I was a teenager still, because that started back in the first MMOs already, where you could buy in-game currency or items from private sellers. It was obvious back then already.

And this guy mainly paid for skins! Skins! WTF? Why? How?

Waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

7. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 15:54 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 14:55 Creston

5. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 13:43 Darks

Blue wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 13:35:
yonder wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 11:49:
Impressive conflation going on here.

I'm willing to be shown what I got wrong here, but you don't say what it is. I know a lot of what he did was just buying items, but I found the part that involved gambling on CS:GO skins along with his admission to being a gambling addict to be relevant to the topic.

Dont feed the troll Blues, hes missing the whole point about how dangerous loot crates and in game items are. And why this topic is a hot topic for many and why this kind of garbage needs to go.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 13:35  Blue 

yonder wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 11:49:

I'm willing to be shown what I got wrong here, but you don't say what it is. I know a lot of what he did was just buying items, but I found the part that involved gambling on CS:GO skins along with his admission to being a gambling addict to be relevant to the topic.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 13:29 RedEye9

I wish I would have had 10 grand disposable when I was 19, what a lucky kid.  

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

2. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 13:24 Ozmodan

Yep, they get hooked as teenagers. A real racket. I am really surprised that the tax man has ignored all that money being spent.  

1. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 30, 2017, 11:49 yonder

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo