Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's Thursday, so I'll remind participants in our football pools to get their picks in, and use that as an excuse for a lengthy sports rant (apologies in advance). As a lifelong fan of the New York Giants, I've had many occasions to be proud of the organization and how they handle things. This is not to say they've been perfect, but they have generally been a classy outfit, which is often referred to as the "Giant Way." But some are saying The ‘Giant Way’ is a thing of the past, thanks to co-owner John Mara. This comes to a head based on the news that they are benching QB Eli Manning, which has me beyond upset. Like the organization, Eli hasn't always been perfect, but he has been a credit to the team since he arrived, and his two Super Bowl MVP awards speak for themselves (in case they don't, only four other players have been SB MVP more than once). He's also the reigning NFL iron man whose streak of consecutive starts is 10th in NFL history, and second only to Brett Favre among quarterbacks. He's been classy, clutch, and clean for his entire career, and taking him out to take a look at the other QBs on the roster incorrectly implies their bad season (the team is currently 2-9) is somehow on him (the blame for that is on a disappointing defense and one of the league's worst offensive lines, which is largely unchanged from last season). And if the plan is to move on from Eli next season, when he will be 37 years old (which is real-life young but makes him a football geriatric), he deserves to go out on the field, not on the bench.

The team wants to evaluate its future QB options, and as further demonstration of his classiness, Eli was given the opportunity to start and keep the streak alive before giving way to the backups, but he declined, since that is cheesy. Here are my predictions on what's to learn with this experiment: Davis Webb will turn out to be the second coming of Ryan Nassib, and Geno Smith is going to turn out to be the second coming of Geno Smith (I'm hoping I'm wrong, and will gladly apologize if I am). The organization is not one to fire front-office staff midseason, but if they are departing from the Giant Way I'd much rather they just cut bait on GM Jerry Reese and Coach Ben McAdoo over their obvious failures and leave Eli in place for the rest of the year, especially when there are indications both the GM (who has failed with most of his draft picks) and the coach (an offensive "genius" who has failed to put 30 points on the board even once as head coach) will be justifiably fired after the season anyway. Instead they are making this move under the delusion that their next franchise QB is on the roster, and the implication that somehow Eli is to blame for the horrible season the team and its fans have suffered. Okay, I'm done venting. I'm sure this was not of much interest to most of you, though there was a single comment in the forums expecting some response from me (popular demand?), so I thank you for your indulgence. If you do want more ranting on the topic, I can hand you off to radio host Mike Francesa, pro quarterback Philip Rivers, and John Mara's own niece, Kate Mara.

Ranting Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Super Pineapple Pen. Pen Pineapple Apple Pen?
Stories: "American Gods" Loses Its Showrunners.
Man claims he contracted eye-eating parasite from amusement park water ride.
Science: The Colorado School of Mines Wants to Launch the First-Ever Space Mining Program.
Scientists Move A Step Closer To Making Synthetic Life.
Scientists demonstrate one of largest quantum simulators.
Media: How Millennials Are Killing the Diamond Industry.
Gigantic Hornets Nest Extraction in Louisiana. Nightmare fuel.
Chased By Angry Sea Lion. Much cuter nightmare.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 21:03 Beamer

Blue wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 20:06:
Beamer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 18:40:
I put Rodgers and Favre above Starr.

The formatting was messed up, but that was you, right? Anyway, whoever said it, I still disagree. Rodgers is probably the best *passer* I've ever seen, but here's a little from Wikipedia about Bart Starr, the only QB in the playoff era to three-peat, who played during a time when QBs called their own plays and the passing game was impeded by the rights of defensive backs to mug receivers all over the field:

Starr was the only quarterback in history to lead a team to five league championships (1961–62, 1965–67), before Tom Brady tied the record during the 2016 season. Starr led his team to victories in two Super Bowls: I and II. As the Packers' head coach, he was less successful, compiling a 52–76–3 (.408) record from 1975 through 1983.

Starr was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls and earned four Pro Bowl selections. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Packers Hall of Fame in 1977. He won the league MVP award in 1966.[1]

Starr has the highest postseason passer rating (104.8)[2] of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.[3] Starr also held the Packers' franchise record for games played (196) for 32 years, through the 2003 season.[3]

IMO, that final paragraph should be enough to win this debate.

I'll openly admit I am not the best person to be grading Green Bay QBs, particularly ones I never saw personally.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 20:06  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 18:40:

The formatting was messed up, but that was you, right? Anyway, whoever said it, I still disagree. Rodgers is probably the best *passer* I've ever seen, but here's a little from Wikipedia about Bart Starr, the only QB in the playoff era to three-peat, who played during a time when QBs called their own plays and the passing game was impeded by the rights of defensive backs to mug receivers all over the field:

Starr was the only quarterback in history to lead a team to five league championships (1961–62, 1965–67), before Tom Brady tied the record during the 2016 season. Starr led his team to victories in two Super Bowls: I and II. As the Packers' head coach, he was less successful, compiling a 52–76–3 (.408) record from 1975 through 1983.

Starr was named the Most Valuable Player of the first two Super Bowls and earned four Pro Bowl selections. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Packers Hall of Fame in 1977. He won the league MVP award in 1966.[1]

Starr has the highest postseason passer rating (104.8)[2] of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972.[3] Starr also held the Packers' franchise record for games played (196) for 32 years, through the 2003 season.[3]

IMO, that final paragraph should be enough to win this debate.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

56. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 18:40 Beamer

Blue wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 17:54:
Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:18:
Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 17:32:
Rodgers is arguably the best QB of all time.

Ooooh errrr missus.

I mean, come on. It's not as if Tom Brady is not even playing anymore. That said, Aaron Rodgers is definitely better than Eli Manning. I think Aaron Rodgers is probably better than Peyton Manning.

Marino above them all, and he never won anything! Which excludes him from being best ever, but man, what makes him so fascinating to me is how far he always was from winning.
Rodgers isn't even the best QB in the history of the Packers. That would be Bart Starr.

-------------

55. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 17:55 BobBob

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:14:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:29:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:23:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:00:
ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

Working and writing two novels. Been fairly busy. Plus, we remodeled a kitchen and portions of our home. Finally, life has calmed down.

How are you?

Hey, welcome back, Bob!

Thank you!

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

54. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 17:54  Blue 

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 16:18:

Ooooh errrr missus.

I mean, come on. It's not as if Tom Brady is not even playing anymore. That said, Aaron Rodgers is definitely better than Eli Manning. I think Aaron Rodgers is probably better than Peyton Manning.

Rodgers isn't even the best QB in the history of the Packers. That would be Bart Starr.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

53. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 16:18 Creston

Ooooh errrr missus.

52. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 16:14 Creston

ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

Working and writing two novels. Been fairly busy. Plus, we remodeled a kitchen and portions of our home. Finally, life has calmed down.

How are you?

Hey, welcome back, Bob!

51. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 13:05 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 01:59:
Who is your muse?

Also, thinking of self-publishing?

My main inspiration is a bunch of sci-fi stories that I've read. I also like to imagine and daydream. I've always had weird ideas so I figured I might as well try to write them down.

Yah. I think I may self-publish the first book. The second novel is much larger and more epic. I may consider a publisher for that. It depends on how much success the first one gets.

My understanding is that most publishers won't even look at an author unless they find past work that is searchable online. In that case, self-publishing the first novel might be the best strategy for publishing the second novel.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 14:07.

50. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 12:11 BobBob

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 08:53:
BobBob wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 00:38:
Themes: Time travel, with a twist. Artificial intelligence, with a twist.

My biggest struggle is that I have a lot of complex concepts embedded into the stories and I have to put them into simple English for a wider audience.
Excellent subjects when done well.

I would offer a caution to explaining things too carefully. I'm thinking of Iain Banks' Culture novels which I absolutely love. There is some stunning technology involved, stuff which would look like magic to even early 21st century humans. However, a lot of it doesn't get careful explanations. It is more about the story of what's happening to the characters.

I should create a blog and post snippets of the writing for public critique. Since it'll be my first book, most likely I'll self-publish it anyway.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 12:30.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 12:09 BobBob

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 02:02:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 23:48:
BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 22:40:
The question is ... are they any good? Readers will eventually decide on that.
Well, if you ever get published, be sure to let us know here. Care to reveal the general subject matter?

I will definitely share that here! Much of the smarter conversations you've all had has helped me a greal deal in developing how my characters talk and debate. Other times ... it must be made to happen.

My biggest struggle is that I have a lot of complex concepts embedded into the stories and I have to put them into simple English for a wider audience.

The stories aren't standard fare where a character faces a challenge and tries to solve it or transforms him/herself.

Sometimes a solution to a problem is not always so obvious ... Sometimes the problem is misdefined. Sometimes the problem isn't resolvable. Sometimes ... it must be allowed to happen.

Other times ... it must be made to happen.

Juggle

Remember the golden rule: "Show, don't tell."

That's a tough one.

In the time travel story there are many action scenes. Besides him simply describing the events that took place, he also goes through a lot of introspection and explains many concepts.

The action portions of the story are a transcription of his experience via recordable eyewear with a post written commentary. I made a choice to split the style of his writing. When he's giving commentary on a situation versus describing his journey in a recording, he uses no contractions, provides an analysis, goes into introspection, etc.

Imagine if you were speaking while recording and later provided a post commentary with it. How would you transcribe all that down?

I included a time and date stamp, and a storage space status, via a HUD per chapter. The HUD indicates the passage of time and provides a frame of reference. This method has forced a first person perspective on the story.

What's gets even more complicated is that sometimes there are two versions of himself. That's where a concise layout of the chronology of events comes into play and the HUD has helped in that situation.

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 12:44.

48. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 08:53 Mr. Tact

Excellent subjects when done well.

I would offer a caution to explaining things too carefully. I'm thinking of Iain Banks' Culture novels which I absolutely love. There is some stunning technology involved, stuff which would look like magic to even early 21st century humans. However, a lot of it doesn't get careful explanations. It is more about the story of what's happening to the characters.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

47. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 02:02 jdreyer

Well, if you ever get published, be sure to let us know here. Care to reveal the general subject matter?

I will definitely share that here! Much of the smarter conversations you've all had has helped me a greal deal in developing how my characters talk and debate. Other times ... it must be made to happen.

The stories aren't standard fare where a character faces a challenge and tries to solve it or transforms him/herself.

Sometimes a solution to a problem is not always so obvious ... Sometimes the problem is misdefined. Sometimes the problem isn't resolvable. Sometimes ... it must be allowed to happen.

Juggle

Remember the golden rule: "Show, don't tell."

Stay a while, and listen.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 01:59 jdreyer

BobBob wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 22:41:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 18:20:
ok.
Bobbob! You're not dead!

Whatcha been up to?

How are you?

Good! Writing novels is hard. I've been reading a lot of novels lately, and I'm surprised at how so many seemingly well-written novels just fail to grab me. Keep at it. Give yourself time. Re-read your writing a week after writing a chapter and see if it can improve. Good luck!

Yes! Keeping it flowing and engaging is the biggest challenge.

Who is your muse?

Also, thinking of self-publishing?

Stay a while, and listen.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 01:45 Kxmode

Rigs wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 01:32:
Nice, though I think I'd rather have a higher refresh rate at a lower rez than 4k, but that's personal preference. ('Course, it would be nice to have 4k/120 or even 4k/240 but that won't happen anytime soon) I've been looking for a cheaper 24"-27" G-sync 120-144hz screen myself now that I have a 1050ti/4gb. (I know there's no way my poor i5-750/16gb DDR3/1050ti/4gb is every going to pull off 4k sufficiently...or VR, for that matter)

I don't have the hardware for 120, and only had around $800 to spend. I've wanted to go with something 4K for a while. Maybe in the future when I have all those bells and whistles you describe I can upgrade to a pair of 4K/120 displays. For now, I'm just giddy with excitement over how amazingly bright and crisp these screens are. What amazed me most is how these displays make simple text look like screen reader fonts. The quality is book-like. I have no idea how LG achieved that.

Anyhow, I'm part of the 4K revolution.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

44. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 01:32 Rigs

Kxmode wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 01:07:
Bought a pair of LG 27" 4K UHD IPS screens. I now have a 7680 x 2160 4K display. And Oh. My. Goodness! It is ever so beautiful!

Nice, though I think I'd rather have a higher refresh rate at a lower rez than 4k, but that's personal preference. ('Course, it would be nice to have 4k/120 or even 4k/240 but that won't happen anytime soon) I've been looking for a cheaper 24"-27" G-sync 120-144hz screen myself now that I have a 1050ti/4gb. (I know there's no way my poor i5-750/16gb DDR3/1050ti/4gb is every going to pull off 4k sufficiently...or VR, for that matter)

=-Rigs-=

"I remember feeling profoundly disappointed at the scene when Byeck's missus gives him a hidden blade and says, 'This is a weapon from ancient times!' BITCH, we're IN 'ancient times'!" - Yahtzee, 'Assassin's Creed: Origins'

43. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Dec 1, 2017, 01:07 Kxmode

Bought a pair of LG 27" 4K UHD IPS screens. I now have a 7680 x 2160 4K display. And Oh. My. Goodness! It is ever so beautiful!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

42. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2017, 00:38 BobBob

Juggle

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2017, 00:51.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 23:55 NKD

All those words and screenspace used up for the Lesser Manning? Sheesh.  

You are being watched.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 23:48 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2017, 23:29 Beamer

I read an article today that said Eli was the best B-tier QB ever. I agree with that. He wasn't a superstar, franchise QB. He was a dependable QB. The best dependable QB. A guy who could come up huge when he needed to, and be frustrating nearly every other time. You could rarely count on Eli to pick a game on his shoulders and simply will victory the way Rodgers, or Peyton, or Brady, or Elway, or Marino, or Montana. Except in the playoffs. Especially the Superbowl.

I respected a lot about him, but the parts I respected were usually not the things I valued most. He was a loyal, respectable company man, with zero personality. He stuck by his teammates, he took blame and rarely assigned it, and his cool head almost definitely kept the hotter flames on the team in check. But good god was he a boring lump of mud that you could only rely on when you absolutely needed to rely on him.

Everyone points out he wouldn't be in HoF discussion if not for being on a big team, but he was, including the additional pressure that comes with that. And he wouldn't be if he didn't make two key drives to bring him two rings. But he did. Best B-tier QB ever. I'd argue he's the worst multiple-ring QBs of at least my lifetime, but that's not a bad thing. Not at all. And man, he won two of the best Superbowls of all time.

-------------

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo