Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans

Bungie.net offers a new The State of Destiny 2 update, outlining plans to improve the first-person shooter sequel, as well as their plans to be more communicative going forward amid complaints about their lack of transparency. The lengthy post discusses fixes for the game's grind with changes to the XP system and better rewards for their most dedicated players. It also goes into detail on new features, items (including a new Masterworks weapon tier), and changes coming in a couple of different patches expected next month. As said, the post is quite lengthy, but the introduction summarizes things concisely:

Hey everyone,

With Destiny 2s console and PC launches behind us, we want to take some time to talk with you about Destiny 2 specifically where its at today, and where its going. Our team has been reading feedback and working on updates to improve the game. Weve also been reading some tough criticism about our lack of communication, and we agree we need to be more open.

Going forward, Destiny 2s post-launch game systems, features, and updates are being designed specifically to focus on and support players who want Destiny to be their hobby the game they return to, and a game where friendships are made. We want Destiny to be a game that fits into your life, providing you with reasons to log in and play with your friends, clans, and families. We want Destiny to be a world you want to be a part of.

A month ago, we published a list of improvements on the blog. Today, were going to revisit that list and update its status, and share some of the work the team is readying for December, January, and beyond.

We know its frustrating when there isnt enough of a dialog with the development team. You have our commitment that were going to do a better job going forward.

- Luke Smith & Chris Barrett

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 10:54 Tipsy McStagger

Rhett wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 05:19:
Supposedly Destiny 1 DLC hit it out of the park (at one point anyway?).

I quit destiny 1 before this happened. The Taken King apparently addressed tons of issues and fixed a bunch of things including the single player story.

Basically a year after release and 3 expansions later, they had a full version game is what I heard.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 30, 2017, 10:32 Pepe

It's not a bad game but I'm struggling with some technical difficulties and from googeling around I'm far from alone with this.

The 2-3 second freezes I was experiencing are gone so far, but I still get the odd bsod from time to time.

After a fresh reboot it seems to run ok, if I leave the game and want to play again later without restarting it crashes after some time.

I tried the run as admin fix this time, will see if it helps. Not buying anything more for this game unless they fix that crap.

11. Re: Game Reviews Nov 30, 2017, 07:37 peteham

What everyone else said.

I never played D1, but this launch reminds me a lot of The Division at launch (which of course kind of copied Destiny) (minus the additional Dark Zone grief fest of that end-game). Both are fairly enjoyable casual romps through interesting spaces when playing with friends. Single player, the campaign is sub-par at best. The setting/universe is potentially great but the actual story-telling is plain bad. And once you hit the level cap, which doesn't take long (if you disregard the 299->300 deadlock you'll likely end up in), there is nothing left to do. Same near-zero interaction with others as Division, too.

I never went back to the Division, though I hear it's improved a lot now. D2 is probably going to end up the same. I'll probably grab Osiris because my friends are, but I can't see how they'll be able to make changes that are substantial enough to keep me around or want to return for the next one. Based on the feature overview, it's mostly more of the same stuff with an extra location. And some kind of Diablo rift-like dungeoneering. This doesn't work at all without some actual loot incentive. Right now, it's a loot treadmill without the loot. Power/light is just a number and feels meaningless. You'll reach the soft-cap on your first character in a matter of two weeks right now, and that number is time-gated. Meaning that after you hit 20, you can finish all the weekly stuff that you can get progression from in a single evening (3-4 hours). Add another couple of hours for the weekly raid. The mod system seems like it was made to be annoying when trying to do what little build customization the game provides, by destroying your currently equipped mods when swapping. And the whole mod system is based on gambling rather than just getting to buy the mod you need. Add "YOUR INVENTORY IS FULL" to this. Gaah. Gear level is just a number and doesn't seem to matter at all so long as you're above the required minimum for a specific piece of content. Some guy on YouTube tested the same scout rifle level 100 vs 250 on some mobs in a public event. Same exact damage numbers.

Ah yes, the inventory system in the game is downright atrocious.. Just wtf.. How these game studios manage to build these incredible engines but fail so miserable at simple UI stuff will never cease to baffle me. The game would be unplayable without DestinyItemManager. Kudos for providing the API to let the community build tools like that, at least. But they can't fix everything. Why do shaders and emblems have to occupy inventory slots? Why can't emotes just be shared across characters (oh right, microtransactions)? Why do "quests" like rat-king take up inventory space?

Besides the core gameplay, this game feels half-finished in so many ways.

10. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 06:03 Slick

Gunplay's good, but the endgame (and midgame) is just boring as fuck if you aren't playing with friends.

I set my party privacy to "open" and never once did random strangers just spawn during a mission I was doing. You have to set all of that up yourself, and you can assume that even if you know 50 people playing the game, none of them will have to do the exact mission you're about to embark on. So the friend will have to be nice and just re-do a mission they've already done, or you'll be playing most of the content in this game by yourself.

It wasn't like this in D1 on PS4, I don't know how they fucked it up on PC so badly.

OH and there's no fucking ALL chat, even in the social areas! WTF! You can't even get a pick-up group started if you wanted to by just talking to people.

It's okay though, the first paid DLC is out in a week, that will make sure that anyone who doesn't buy it is gimped with their gear, enjoy the grind!

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

9. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 05:19 Rhett

Seems like some good changes in the right direction.

For those on the fence, not gonna lie, the story is ridiculously dumb. It is, however, a good and fun romp with friends, at least for a while. It's sorta like Borderlands without the humor, but has a more serious tone (and much, much better gunplay).

Was hyped for the DLC a week or two ago, but now probably not getting it unless I see some astounding stuff. Supposedly Destiny 1 DLC hit it out of the park (at one point anyway?).

8. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 04:52 DangerDog

They just had this on sale for $26 on Amazon, having played the beta and watching Mack's WAB...

/credit card secure in wallet.

7. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 02:02 Tipsy McStagger

Good list of changes there..  

6. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 01:16 theglaze

Ive been trying the free trial... took me three sessions to make it to the base camp. I just found it so boring to get through the initial set pieces. Usually AAA titles kill the opener, but this one has been a dud so far.

Maybe my progression to level 7 will reveal something interesting.

5. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 00:53 opie

Played the open beta. Did the free trial. Just isn't fun. It is like playing halo+. biggest challenge on PC? finding your way out of some missions.  

4. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 30, 2017, 00:40 Sempai

Love the game. Despise the company running it.

But this is(yet another..)good start on their behalf.

We'll see.

3. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 29, 2017, 23:34 Numinar

I have 100 hours on PS4 and still haven't got the exclusive sniper, though it's meant to be good.

As for the exclusive strike, I'm not sure which one it is and they might as well not have them in the game at all at the moment as nightfall is barely worth it unless you are grinding out to 305.

Great game though. I have spent sooooo much money on other stuff that the jump to PC might have to wait for a bit, maybe even for next major content. It'll still all be there.

2. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 29, 2017, 22:48 jacobvandy

Yes, because having only 97% of the content compared to the PS4 version justifies wanting to pay only 17% of the price. Rolleyes  

1. Re: Bungie Outlines Destiny 2 Plans Nov 29, 2017, 21:55 MoreLuckThanSkill

Some content still delayed on PC a year compared to PS4? Yes? Okay then, $9.99 or less.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo