Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Star Citizen Land Rush

Though the Stretch Goals page on the Roberts Space Industries website shows Star Citizen's crowdfunding campaign has raised over $168 million, Cloud Imperium has figured out another way to raise funds for the space game besides selling virtual ship licenses. Word is they are now licensing land claims. This Q&A covers the details and this video has more. Word is: "Please Note: These claim licenses are being made available for pledging to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The ability to obtain these claim licenses will ultimately be available for in-game credits and/or otherwise earnable through play in the game. Pledging for these claim licenses now allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen game, and is not required for starting the game." VG247 notes that these parcels are priced like full games, ranging from $50 to $100.

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

29. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 14:20 Kxmode

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:20:
Star Citizen Gamers are so dumb

FTFY

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 14:18 Kxmode

NKD wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 13:41:
Up next: Selling virtual bridges.

A great choice for the trolls!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

27. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 14:15 CJ_Parker

Darks wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 13:36:
dont go bundling all of us in that context. I originally backed this game when it was in kickstarter. Back then it was something that looked like it was going to be a real Freelancer successor.

little did any of us original backers know how this would snowball out of control into the feature creep monster greed fest thats its become.

Yeah, the original deal was:

- Ship sales for real money only until the end of the pledge campaign (November 26 - 2012 or whatever it was)
- LTI an exclusive original backer perk and never to return again
- Squadron 42 (in its fucking entirety and no fucking retarded episodic piecemeal shit) + SC to be released by the end of 2014.
OK, barely anyone (except the extremist cultist CR fanbois) believed this one and most of us mentally added six to twelve months on top of that but if anyone would have suggested -back then- no Squadron 42 at all by the end of 2017, you would have been declared completely bonkers)

However, I'm guessing that Retired...

You put money into this game, you are a fool.

... just forgot "still" or "at this point" when he wrote his post.
I definitely do not get why anyone would have still put money into this game after the Star Marine debacle in 2015 at the very, very, very latest.

People might have a different breaking point though, depending on when they first pledged and when they started to get fed up with the endless stream of lies.

I personally have not put any significant amount of money into the game since 2012 (original campaign) because I was starting to get pissed off when they broke the LTI and no more ships for real money promises in 2012 already.

Adding subs was kinda shady, too. It was first advertised as a means for people to turn their contributions into smaller payments instead of bigger sums which not everyone might be able to afford. And then they kind of stealth-changed it into "subs money is just for marketing and for increased communication from us to you".

26. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 14:12 Kxmode

Chris Roberts: "4) NO Pay2Win - You should never be able to buy anything with real money that you can't buy in with in game credits. Once fully live SC in-game items will only be purchasable with in-game credits. There will even be some items you can ONLY earn by playing / flying missions. All you will be able to spend money on that is gameplay related would be buying some in-game credits as you don't want or don't have enough time to earn the credits you need for your contemplated purchase. We'll cap purchase of in-game credits to avoid someone unbalancing the game / economy. Finally as I point out above skill will always play a factor - there will be no "magic spaceship of death" that will sweep all before it, so while you may have bought a more expensive spaceship / weapon a better pilot can still beat you (this is where people with lots of time get an advantage as they'll have spent a lot more time honing their combat skills!)." April 2013

----

Typically beta data is wiped out at launch to give everyone an even playing field. So how in the world is CIG going to handle OP players at launch? SC reeks of the worse kind of pay to win system. Up there with EA's shenanigans. Why don't the SC whales see this?

25. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 13:41 NKD

Up next: Selling virtual bridges.  

"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

24. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 13:36 Darks

Retired wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 13:21:

dont go bundling all of us in that context. I originally backed this game when it was in kickstarter. Back then it was something that looked like it was going to be a real Freelancer successor.

little did any of us original backers know how this would snowball out of control into the feature creep monster greed fest thats its become.

Thats not our fault that Roberts greed would turn this game into the bullshit its becoming now. Yes, I could have gotten my money back, but I'm only 60 dollars invested.

So I figured WTF, stick with it and see where this ends. Im pretty sure I'm not going to like what I find. But thats on me at this point.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

23. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 13:32 Darks

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 12:30:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:59:
Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:57:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Chris Roberts saw the shit that Richard Garriott is pulling off, and thought "Holy hell. This way I don't even have to have artists draw pictures of pretty spaceships! I can literally sell just NOTHING!"

Hey, now. He's not selling "nothing." He's selling chunks of procedurally generated planet, and a ship to land it on.

Oh, sorry, I stand corrected.

I mean, what are you even going to fucking DO with this land? There's no way to build anything on it, and his developers sure as hell aren't going to build a base for you. They're still 99 systems behind on their content creation.

Edit : Since I'm bored at work, I read through the FAQ, and apparently there is a way to build stuff. It's through something that I'm pretty sure is not developed/working yet, but apparently they're not just selling empty land with no way to do anything with it.

That will come in 2018.

Edit 2 :
Why is the UEE selling claim licenses?
The UEE sells claim licenses for the same reasons as any government

Greed? I mean, I know governments are shitty, but they don't just raise taxes for the greedy hell of it.

Actually, you would be wrong, have you seen the latest bullshit the Govt is now trying to pull with propriety taxes? Oh yea, they are now complementing not allowing home owners to claim property tax on our tax returns. This country is falling in to the black hole of shit.

If this happens, they are saying home prices will drop in value by 10 to 15 percent. And start pushing people away from buying homes if you cant get any tax breaks for owning a home. Fucking Govt!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

22. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 13:21 Retired

21. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 13:19 Bumpy

Many in here underestimate the amount of disposable income people have. Chris, the most prolific sales shark in gaming history, has not.

20. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:30 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:59:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Chris Roberts saw the shit that Richard Garriott is pulling off, and thought "Holy hell. This way I don't even have to have artists draw pictures of pretty spaceships! I can literally sell just NOTHING!"

Hey, now. He's not selling "nothing." He's selling chunks of procedurally generated planet, and a ship to land it on.

Oh, sorry, I stand corrected.

I mean, what are you even going to fucking DO with this land? There's no way to build anything on it, and his developers sure as hell aren't going to build a base for you. They're still 99 systems behind on their content creation.

Edit : Since I'm bored at work, I read through the FAQ, and apparently there is a way to build stuff. It's through something that I'm pretty sure is not developed/working yet, but apparently they're not just selling empty land with no way to do anything with it.

That will come in 2018.

Edit 2 :
Why is the UEE selling claim licenses?
The UEE sells claim licenses for the same reasons as any government

Greed? I mean, I know governments are shitty, but they don't just raise taxes for the greedy hell of it.

19. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:29 Creston

aka_STEVE wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:26:
He really ought to consider selling AIR to put in your spacesuits also.
You can't travel around the galaxy's planets without that precious air to breathe in-game.

the alien artifact is a turbinium reactor that will create a breathable atmosphere for Mars when activated, eliminating Cohaagen's abusive monopoly on breathable air.

The awesome thing is that that quote is ten times cooler if you read it in Arnold's voice and accent.

COME AAAAHN COHAGEN! GIVE THESE PEOPLE AAYUH!!

18. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:21 Fion

This is like a textbook case of the Sunk Cost Fallacy. That is... continuing to sink money/time/energy into a project as a result of ones emotional connection to it, instead of any actual rational decision making.

E.g. the classic 'well I've already spent $100 on this, what's another $20?'.

We've all fallen for this, and the gaming industry takes full advantage of it. It's why there's a Collectors Edition of games, followed by 'discounts' on things like in-game currencies or other upgrades, just before launch.

Right now thousands of people who've spent hundreds already to get a head start in a game that isn't probably ever coming out, and seriously considering sinking even more money into the game. Between discounts for those who've already spent a lot of money (playing right into this fallacy) and everyone rationalizing 'I've already put hundreds into this game, what's another $50?'

And for the record it's not stupidity, it's companies taking advantage of how the human brain works, and how to circumvent peoples rationalism.

17. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:14 Bill Borre

I guess people who give this guy money are paying for a piece of their childhood at this point.  

16. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:09 Tipsy McStagger

Holy fuck.. he can do no wrong.

Part of me really hopes this game is released and is the be everything awesome game...

But I fear we're on the path of epic scam

15. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:08 El Pit

Amazing! I expect signs like "You cannot land here because it is the property of player SmallDickBigWallet."

Oy, SC code monkeys, you might also sell now signs saying "PRIVATE PROPERTY! Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot AGAIN."

Really, it is like they are waving huge red signs saying "SCAM ALERT" but the whales ignore them, smile, and pay up for virtual ownership. Hilarious!

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

14. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:04 jdreyer

Why is Erin Roberts involved with this? He's not involved with the online game, he's making Squadron 42. Maybe they've just canceled the single player game and haven't told people yet? Like how EA canceled Visceral's single player Star Wars game.  

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

13. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:01 jdreyer

Shorter Chris Roberts:

"We haven't put any effort into populating our system with bases. So we'll get players to do that for us. And we'll charge them for the privilege."

12. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 11:59 jdreyer

11. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 11:39 HorrorScope

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:20:
Gamers are so dumb

I'd like to have their money for being so dumb.

10. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 11:29 SpectralMeat

aka_STEVE wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 11:26:
He really ought to consider selling AIR to put in your spacesuits also.
You can't travel around the galaxy's planets without that precious air to breathe in-game.
Preorder premium air. Buy 2 get 1 free.
Also, Boxing Day Sale on 10 packs of space ship wash, preorder 10 washes get 1 free! While supplies last

Steam: SpectralMeat

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >