Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side

Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering, and suffering hurts stock prices. At least that's the take of this CNBC article, which correlates the beating EA's share price continues to suffer to the controversy over progression and loot boxes in Star Wars Battlefront II. Word is:

Electronic Arts' shareholders are running for the hills this month and for good reason.

The company's profitable business model is now at risk after angry gamers revolted over its aggressive in-game moneymaking strategy in "Star Wars Battlefront II."

EA's stock is down 8.5 percent month to date through Tuesday compared with the S&P 500's 2 percent gain, wiping out $3.1 billion of shareholder value. Its competitors Take-Two and Activision Blizzard shares are up 5 percent and 0.7 percent respectively during the same time period.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 30, 2017, 19:16 RedEye9

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 15:37:
Slick wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 04:08:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 15:37:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:36:
CJ, so your grand contribution to the discourse is literally:

"All post-launch content is cancer"

Wow. Ace contributor.

It is cancer. UT3 shipped with 8 modes, a couple dozen maps, no progression system, no season pass, no DLC, and no MTs. A year later, Epic released 15 more maps free.

That's how it's done.

You make no sense.

You just said they released 15 maps a year later.

But you double-down that "all post-launch content is cancer"

Make up your mind!

Words have meanings you know.

The difference being that the maps were free. Free post launch DLC is fine: everyone can access it.
No one here has ever argued about free post launch dlc.
Slick is in one of his annoying modes and anything anyone says at this point only triggers the fight response.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 30, 2017, 15:37 jdreyer

Slick wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 04:08:

Wow. Ace contributor.

It is cancer. UT3 shipped with 8 modes, a couple dozen maps, no progression system, no season pass, no DLC, and no MTs. A year later, Epic released 15 more maps free.

That's how it's done.

You make no sense.

Make up your mind!

The difference being that the maps were free. Free post launch DLC is fine: everyone can access it.

Stay a while, and listen.

69. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 30, 2017, 04:08 Slick

Wow. Ace contributor.

That's how it's done.

You make no sense.

Make up your mind!

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

68. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 15:37 jdreyer

Wow. Ace contributor.

That's how it's done.

Stay a while, and listen.

67. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 15:12 Devinoch

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 06:50:
Devinoch wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 20:40:
Oh, how I remember like it was yesterday when the most recent SimCity came out, and how the doomsayers were proclaiming it was the end of EA. When will they ever learn?

Name a new IP developed by EA in 30 seconds, good luck.

It doesn't even matter really what stock does, fact is EA doesn't develop new IP's anymore, instead it's killing them and it's more likely EA closes studio than develop a new game nowadays (Just LOOK at their closure history). They got 3 big IP's left, from previously 5 (they killed Sim City and Mass Effect) so by this rate in 14 years EA doesn't develop any new games And let's not even get started on Command and Conquer (killed by EA) or Dragon Age (killed by EA). And generally speaking you don't earn money in the future if you don't develop NEW IP's

If you look at Fifa, Sims and Battlefield, which are the remaining 3 big ones, you can also see a huge disparity (only Fifa Ultimate is truly profitable) the remaining games had negative profit developments compared to predecessors (same for COD / Activision by the way).

So I laugh at people wanting to invest in EA stock. Maybe if you think Lootboxes aren't gonna be regulated, but once they are EA's only big profitable segment collapses. Fifa with a M+ rating would kill Fifa.

Except, of course, that this has been Standard Operating Procedure for EA for a while now. See the acquisition of Respawn Entertainment, bringing Titanfall under their umbrella.

I was AT Westwood Studios right before it fell. You're welcome to look me up. I was part of the development for Command & Conquer: Renegade, among other things, and I've seen the system from the inside.

EA's typical history has been - find studio that's making something that people like (that EA's probably publishing), acquire them, get a few good games out of them, overmicromanage too much, shut the studio down, repeat.

Origin, Bullfrog, Maxis, Tiberon Entertainment, Westwood, Criterion, Dreamworks Interactive, DICE, Mythic, Popcap...

This is the way they work. Most of their original IP have been failures - Dante's Inferno, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Spore, American McGee's Alice... That's just not what EA's been good at for the last few decades.

I understand there's a bunch of people angry at EA now, but historically, that's nothing new, and they didn't do this with one of their REAL cash cows. There's no uproar about FIFA, and that's the golden goose.

Cliff "Devinoch" Hicks
Host of the Starlight Society Podcast
http://tinyurl.com/starlightsociety/

66. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 14:31 Kxmode

Good! This will teach EA or it won't. I suspect that it won't and EA will still try to battle on towards oblivion. When EA dies this will be a great day for the video game industry as a whole!  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

65. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 11:29 ExGemini

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:28:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 05:13:
Finally, W3 locked content behind a season pass, that's the point. There's no maps, heroes, weapons etc that are hidden behind a paywall with SWBFII.

You also seem to forget that CDPR did like SIXTEEN free DLCs for the Witcher 3. With weapons, skins etc. There was no content locked behind a season pass. There was no weapon in Witcher 3 that you could look at it in a menu, but then know you'd have to pay to get it. The two expansions they released were actual expansions, not piecemeal shit that completed the original game.

And all of that is ignoring that the Witcher 3 was already probably the largest RPG released for the price of $60.

So yeah, how dare they make fun at EA's expense when EA finds itself in a shitstorm of its own making.

Seriously, go pick on someone else. Trying to equate CDPR to EA is the most ludicrous argument imaginable.

Yes, EA is going to want to make money to earn back any future content they do, which is understandable, but they could do so in a far better manner than trying to squeeze every frigging dime out of their customers with their lootbox crap.

Nothing of what EA does is in any way, shape or form relatable to what CDPR does.

Do not engage the Slick ...
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one ... some are more loose than others ofcourse Laugh Laugh

64. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 11:24 ExGemini

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:30:
The good news is EA hired Slick, the bad news is there will be more EA threads on bluesnews. normal post, normal post, normal post then 8 of Slicks. sigh
They said god himself couldn't sink the Titanic.
And they were right. A mythical being had nothing to do with it sinking.

Are we sure?
Do we have proof it wasn't god?

63. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 11:21 ExGemini

Expansions have been part of pc gaming since forever, it's the microtransactions I can do without, but as long as they aren't pay to win I could care less.

Do not egange the Slick, he will simply go on and on and on.

62. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 11:20 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:56:
I think these EA/Battlefront threads officially overtook the Star Citizen threads in the drama department.

Nonsense, if a thread ain't reaching 200+ posts it ain't a drama thread

61. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:50 Dacote

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:30:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 01:54:
I think it's funny how prestigious studios like CD Projekt Red snipe EA with that cunty tweet saying: "We'll leave greed to others" while The Witcher 3 released with 2 $30 DLC content packs.

The whole thing is such a mess.

EA fucked up the implementation, but I still think the overall strategy is a direction that the industry needs to go, ESPECIALLY for multiplayer games. I can't be dealing with segmenting the community 2 months after launch based on who bought the season pass or not.

For all the shitstorm furore that the piss poor progression implementation wrought, people have lost track of the one actually redeeming feature of this model. NO SEASON PASS.

Seriously... have you gone FULL retard, bro? What. the. actual. fuck.

The game having MTs instead of a fucking shitty season pass is like "hey guys we're not serving dog shit this year but instead you'll get a nice cat shit pie ... ya like?".

And YOU fell for it, you flaming idiot.
Thanks for the link. Angry Joes nails it. It's worth listening to him yell.

60. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:38 Slick

Creston wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:28:
Finally, W3 locked content behind a season pass, that's the point. There's no maps, heroes, weapons etc that are hidden behind a paywall with SWBFII.

You also seem to forget that CDPR did like SIXTEEN free DLCs for the Witcher 3. With weapons, skins etc.

But yeah, how dare they make fun at EA's expense when EA finds itself in a shitstorm of its own making.

I think it's just in bad taste, as they charged money for post-launch expansion packs. The very thing that the SWBFII model is trying to circumvent.

And for the last time, I'm not defending how poorly they executed this, but I would argue that there's a real nugget of something good in this idea.

For multiplayer games in particular, expansion packs/season passes/DLC map packs = divide the community and basically force you to drop another $30-$50 just to be able to play with the rest of the player base.

That needs to change.

Does a single other person in this thread agree with this point? Cause it's the only point I've been trying to make.

*note, do you see how I clearly illustrated my point at least 5 times in this thread? that's how it's done CJ. saying "everything is cancer" isn't a point, it's just noises.*

(Regarding SW:Battlefront II) Frostshite is a horrible piece of shit engine that makes games look artificial as if you were playing on a movie set instead of the actual location. -CJ_Parker

59. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:36 Qvark

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:13:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:51:
CJ_Parker white-knighting the practice of community-dividing, pocketbook-lightening season pass DLC.

Now I've seen everything.

Full retard confirmed. Which part of "fucking shitty season pass" or calling it "dog shit" was unclear? In which world is calling something fucking shitty or dog shit somehow "white-knighting"?

Are you fucking insane?

lol.

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT.

What is your solution oh brilliant well-spoken intelligent one? dog shit or cat shit? brilliant.

See how I'm trying to have a real conversation, and you're just sputtering noises?

Try forming an original thought first, then I'll bother engaging you.

Try tackling the obvious problem of how season passes mean that if you don't pay an additional $50 ontop of the $60 base game, then you're just left behind, and the player numbers for servers you can play in plummet.

TRY.

I DOUBLE DOG SHIT DARE YOU.

Try to make a real point.
He already have made a point, you however are just fucking annoying.
If you want to make a good game. Make it a good game without shit, there that is the point. Do you understand it now?

58. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:36 Slick

Wow. Ace contributor.

57. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:28 Creston

You also seem to forget that CDPR did like SIXTEEN free DLCs for the Witcher 3. With weapons, skins etc. There was no content locked behind a season pass. There was no weapon in Witcher 3 that you could look at it in a menu, but then know you'd have to pay to get it. The two expansions they released were actual expansions, not piecemeal shit that completed the original game.

And all of that is ignoring that the Witcher 3 was already probably the largest RPG released for the price of $60.

So yeah, how dare they make fun at EA's expense when EA finds itself in a shitstorm of its own making.

Seriously, go pick on someone else. Trying to equate CDPR to EA is the most ludicrous argument imaginable.

Yes, EA is going to want to make money to earn back any future content they do, which is understandable, but they could do so in a far better manner than trying to squeeze every frigging dime out of their customers with their lootbox crap.

Nothing of what EA does is in any way, shape or form relatable to what CDPR does.

56. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:27 CJ_Parker

By the way, semantics, I know, but still... the CD Projekt thing was called an expansion pass and not a season pass.

And in addition to what Creston said: This expansion pass delivered exactly what it said it would. They said beforehand what it would contain.
They specified the exact content and gave a game length estimate which turned out to be very conservative. You could easily spend quite a bit more than the advertised 10 and 20 hours in both expansions.

It was an expansion pass and delivered two full blown expansions. One smaller one and a larger one. Exactly as advertised. No bullshit. No scam. No hidden fuckshit. Just straight, honest business.

Edit @ Slick: The point is that season passes have always been cancer. (Non-cosmetic-exclusive )Microtransactions are cancer+++ and loot boxes are cancer+++++++++ . Capisce, d00d?

55. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:24 Darks

I find all of this hilariously funny, they have lost way more money then they would have ever gained from this.

Go suck on that for a while EA. Next fucking time do the right thing and make a game for gamers and not your bottom line.

And good luck EA trying to recover from this mess. it will take years!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

54. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:22 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:13:
Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:51:
CJ_Parker white-knighting the practice of community-dividing, pocketbook-lightening season pass DLC.

Now I've seen everything.

Full retard confirmed. Which part of "fucking shitty season pass" or calling it "dog shit" was unclear? In which world is calling something fucking shitty or dog shit somehow "white-knighting"?

Are you fucking insane?

lol.

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT.

What is your solution oh brilliant well-spoken intelligent one? dog shit or cat shit? brilliant.

See how I'm trying to have a real conversation, and you're just sputtering noises?

Try forming an original thought first, then I'll bother engaging you.

Try tackling the obvious problem of how season passes mean that if you don't pay an additional $50 ontop of the $60 base game, then you're just left behind, and the player numbers for servers you can play in plummet.

TRY.

I DOUBLE DOG SHIT DARE YOU.

Try to make a real point.

53. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Sends EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:19 Creston

Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 01:54:
I think it's funny how prestigious studios like CD Projekt Red snipe EA with that cunty tweet saying: "We'll leave greed to others" while The Witcher 3 released with 2 $30 DLC content packs.

Each of those "content" packs contained more content than most full priced EA games. It certainly contained more content than all of SWBF2. Blood and Wine is larger by itself than many full RPGs released. So, should they have released them for 4 dollars or something? The fact they released for 30 bucks is AMAZING. In fact, the fact you could get both for a season pass is amazing. They were proper expansions, and they sold them both for a penny, essentially, considering how much was in there.

You seem to have this weird angst against people making fun at EA's expense. It's perfectly fine to admit if you work there, man.

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2017, 10:34.

52. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Forces EA Stock Towards the Dark Side Nov 29, 2017, 10:16 El Pit

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:56:
I think these EA/Battlefront threads officially overtook the Star Citizen threads in the drama department.

You wait for loot boxes in Star Citizen. They will start working on this new feature in 2022 to make it part of the first public beta version in 2028!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo