Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GamesIndustry.biz - Games could be hit hard by net neutrality's death. Thanks RedEye9 via [H]ardOCP.
"Studio Wildcard co-founder and co-creative director Jeremy Stieglitz commented to me, "Anyone who cares about multiplayer online gaming should be up in arms about the imminent demise of net neutrality in the USA. It's completely destructive to the idea of fair and level competitive gameplay to have throttled bandwidth depending on whether you are a small title or a part of a big commercial enterprise.

If you enjoy online games like Rocket League, you need to fight for net neutrality
"Once the network carriers decide they can prioritize bandwidth to their own offerings above anything else, independent games such as Ark are likely to suffer. This performance degradation may not happen overnight, but it almost surely will happen once the carriers decide to commercially exploit the extreme power they will have been given. Gamers everywhere should try fight this, to the extent that they can make their voices heard."

And it's not just about gamers. Game companies, especially startups, will almost certainly be affected by all of this. If you're one of the smaller companies in gaming, you have no chance to compete with juggernauts like Steam anymore because the playing field is no longer level. For example, Steam might pay to be included in the ISP's gaming package, get that fast lane, but then up-and-coming download portals could see their speeds throttled. It's just not a fair fight, and it's bad news for a free economy."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Op Ed Nov 30, 2017, 02:22 StingingVelvet

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:55:
In most cases it isn't fraud, we need to accept capitalism and how it works, how growth is needed, that is our world. We as consumers still have a choice to buy or not and in almost all cases that is good enough for me. The good news, there are 1000's of games out there, we sometimes act if there are a precious few. If games came to a production halt today, I already have enough. It's like I'm buying rainy day games for a rainy day that never comes, the common theme of backlogs make it seem I'm far from alone.

I don't get the whole "barely any singleplayer games being made!" narrative at all. There's tons of them, so many that one could drown even if he never touched a multiplayer title. I think most of that complaining comes from people with... let's be generous and say higher standards of what a PC version should be for a mainstream title. They disqualify perfectly enjoyable games because they have a cover system or only 4 guns at once or whatever. Been going on for a decade now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 14:39 Kxmode

Net Neutrality is suppose to give ISPs the freedom to innovate not the freedom to censor content and throttle speeds behind paywalls.  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

15. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 10:55 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 09:51:
rjdriver wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 05:40:
I have no desire to see online multiplayer gaming go down in flames, although I haven't played it since a capture the flag match in Quake 3 years ago.

Man the whole of the human species is dumb...

We've single handedly had games stolen from us and trapped on the other side of the internet and everything that used to be free with free level editing tools and mods has been curtailed/taken away out of most AAA games and then put in fucking lot boxes... can you imagine having skins/maps and mods in quake 3 that we used to have for free put into loot boxes? It's fucking insanity. I wouldn't mind if league of legends and dota 2 cancer got bitten by bs legislation.

Those games pioneered fraud on a massive scale. That's exactly what they are. MMO's, steam and microtransaction ridden crap were ways to move software off gamers PC's.

The fact that humanity ate it up is why PC gaming is such a disaster compared to the 90's.

In most cases it isn't fraud, we need to accept capitalism and how it works, how growth is needed, that is our world. We as consumers still have a choice to buy or not and in almost all cases that is good enough for me. The good news, there are 1000's of games out there, we sometimes act if there are a precious few. If games came to a production halt today, I already have enough. It's like I'm buying rainy day games for a rainy day that never comes, the common theme of backlogs make it seem I'm far from alone.

14. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 10:50 HorrorScope

But I agree with your sentiments about story driven single player games. We need more of them.

There are more of them and pretty much any genre now then we have time for. We can't tell what Wall Street AAA's what they should make, but if they don't make them, they still do though, others will and do all the time.

13. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 10:48 Creston

These are all great arguments. Ajit Pai has a counter-argument: He's going to make a metric ASSLOAD of money!

Why can't all of you see that that completely outweighs all other concerns? I mean, HE will make money!

12. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 09:51 Suppa7

I have no desire to see online multiplayer gaming go down in flames, although I haven't played it since a capture the flag match in Quake 3 years ago.

Man the whole of the human species is dumb...

We've single handedly had games stolen from us and trapped on the other side of the internet and everything that used to be free with free level editing tools and mods has been curtailed/taken away out of most AAA games and then put in fucking lot boxes... can you imagine having skins/maps and mods in quake 3 that we used to have for free put into loot boxes? It's fucking insanity. I wouldn't mind if league of legends and dota 2 cancer got bitten by bs legislation.

Those games pioneered fraud on a massive scale. That's exactly what they are. MMO's, steam and microtransaction ridden crap were ways to move software off gamers PC's.

The fact that humanity ate it up is why PC gaming is such a disaster compared to the 90's.

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 05:40 rjdriver

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 20:23:
Well, if this fucks multiplayer gaming into the ground then I can not wait for it. Bring it on!
Bring back the glory days of single player games w/o microtransactions, loot boxes and all that retarded shit.
Let's have deep gameplay, reasonably well written plots, interesting characters, great worlds to explore that are more than farming grounds and let us go back to generally more rich gaming experiences with a beginning and an end instead of open world, open end, open wallet bull-fucking-shit. Tyvm.

I have no desire to see online multiplayer gaming go down in flames, although I haven't played it since a capture the flag match in Quake 3 years ago. The pay to cheat parts that have arisen in the past few years should definitely die a quick death. The fiasco with Battlefront II has brought this nastiness into view on a world wide basis and it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Some countries are already considering banning the practice if it falls under their gambling laws.

But I agree with your sentiments about story driven single player games. We need more of them. So i just wanted to pass this on for those unaware of it. There is a Total Conversion for Skyrim (classic 32 bit version only) called Enderal that I would consider one of the best story driven RPGs out there in the last 10 years. And it's free. They are even working on a DLC, which will also be free.

Check it out here: www.enderal.com

As for Net Neutrality, the FCC will probably gut it no matter how many petitions you sign. But there is a significant group in Congress that wants to keep it, and will probably pass legislation to bring it back if the FCC does do away with it. So its your reps in congress you should be contacting.

10. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Nov 29, 2017, 01:30 Wowbagger_TIP

He hasn't even been in the White House for a full year yet, and it's been a complete shitshow. I don't know how we make it through another year of this bullshit.

What's worse than the legislation and executive orders is the judges that he's appointing. The other stuff can be fixed, at least mostly, but we're not going to be able to do a damned thing about those judges. One of his nominees has never tried a case before! WTF?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 00:50 Red886

say goodbye to playing with your European friends once this law gets rescinded.  

8. Re: Op Ed Nov 29, 2017, 00:19 HorrorScope

This, the tax bill and the medical bill.

Obviously all 3 could cause harm and medical being the worst. But if this is what it takes to expose the repubs to the common folk, I can take some pain. It will be fixed quick enough, the internet bill is the least painful, why still doing the job of exposing. The Dems will restore.

7. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 23:30 jdreyer

Slashman wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 20:27:
When you vote in an asshole/moron/greedy bastard for president, who then appoints a corporate shill over the FCC...This is the result! So much more good stuff to come from the current US administration! Can't wait to see it!

Given that Ajit Pai was on the FCC before Trump, I don't really think it would have mattered which Republican was president. The only way we avoided this was by electing a Dem.

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 23:29 jdreyer

Huh, so a side effect of NN is that multiplayer gaming will lose popularity, and developers will pay more attention to single player experiences, add AI players to multiplayer games again, and ditch lootboxes and MTs.

Aw, who am I kidding.

ETA: Ninja'd by CJ.

Stay a while, and listen.

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 22:56 Cutter

Or companies will just avoid America and traffic will just go somewhere else where they don't have to put up with this bullshit. I don't think it'll hurt gaming so much as it'll hurt America. The upside to this stupidity is it all but guarantees the GOP will be crucified 2020.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

4. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 20:29 RedEye9

NKD wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 20:11:
There needs to be extremely dire consequences for politicians who actively disregard the will of the people.
Kim Jong Un is working on it, just not fast enough. Bomb

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

3. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 20:27 Slashman

When you vote in an asshole/moron/greedy bastard for president, who then appoints a corporate shill over the FCC...This is the result! So much more good stuff to come from the current US administration! Can't wait to see it!  

2. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 20:23 CJ_Parker

Well, if this fucks multiplayer gaming into the ground then I can not wait for it. Bring it on!
Bring back the glory days of single player games w/o microtransactions, loot boxes and all that retarded shit.
Let's have deep gameplay, reasonably well written plots, interesting characters, great worlds to explore that are more than farming grounds and let us go back to generally more rich gaming experiences with a beginning and an end instead of open world, open end, open wallet bull-fucking-shit. Tyvm.

1. Re: Op Ed Nov 28, 2017, 20:11 NKD

There has been so much outrage about this NN repeal for so long, and yet the FCC and Trump administration in general have no interest in listening to what the people want.

It's a really plain and easily understood example of the government simply not giving a fuck what the people want. But what's worse is that no one gives a fuck that they don't give a fuck. They will yell and scream, but when their yelling and screaming is ignored, they fall silent and do nothing.

There needs to be extremely dire consequences for politicians who actively disregard the will of the people.

You are being watched.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo