Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 29, 2017, 13:02 HorrorScope

Gsync matter more in the 60hz world. I feel the biggest issues most had was alleviated with higher refresh monitors. I think they know that, but if enough believe they still need it, might be an interesting call.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 29, 2017, 09:55 ForgedReality

It's not that big of news. You won't be seeing any products utilizing 2.1 until at least 2019 or 2020. Maybe even later. By then, whoever's not on board will get left behind. I'm sure both teams understand that.  

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 29, 2017, 09:51 LittleMe

Slick wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 01:42:
LittleMe wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 22:34:
Awesome. These are important for gaming! I wonder if nVidia will implement full 2.1 which would seemingly compete with gsync.

That's the $64,000 question.

Big Green has been hesitant to adopt the 2.0b(?) standard i think the one that allows for free-sync. So this will possibly kill their whole g-sync line.

Either way, this news should be the #1 post on BN IMO. This is big news.

Now we wait for CES 2018 to see the new screens that will adopt this, if they make it out in time (crosses fingers)

Yes. CES will be very interesting. I'm typing this while tired but I'll try to make sense. IIRC in the past nVidia has always been good with staying on the cutting edge of the HDMI spec.

Hopefully they'll realize that gsync was merely a temporary solution while the market caught up. They should realize gsync could not last forever.

Alternatively, maybe they'll update gsync with the next greatest feature set. That way they could still implement full hdmi 2.1 and offer the option of an updated gsync (or a replacement 'must have' feature like VR specific stuffs).

The worst option of course is that they fail to adopt hdmi 2.1 in order to keep their pie. That pie will shrink and leave them irrelevant in the longer term.

There's no way to avoid it. gsync's days, as we know it, are coming to an end. Good news. The question is, how mature or immature is nVidia going to behave in their adoption of hdmi 2.1+?

Perpetual debt is slavery.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 29, 2017, 01:42 Slick

60 Hz for 8K and 120 Hz for 4K. The standard also supports Dynamic HDR and resolutions up to 10K for commercial and specialty use.

This new version of the HDMI specification also introduces an enhanced refresh rate that gamers will appreciate. VRR, or Variable Refresh Rate, reduces, or in some cases eliminates, lag for smoother gameplay, while Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency. Quick Media Switching, or QMS, reduces the amount of blank-screen wait time while switching media. HDMI 2.1 also includes Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which automatically sets the ideal latency for the smoothest viewing experience.

Awesome. These are important for gaming! I wonder if nVidia will implement full 2.1 which would seemingly compete with gsync.

That's the $64,000 question.

Big Green has been hesitant to adopt the 2.0b(?) standard i think the one that allows for free-sync. So this will possibly kill their whole g-sync line.

Either way, this news should be the #1 post on BN IMO. This is big news.

Now we wait for CES 2018 to see the new screens that will adopt this, if they make it out in time (crosses fingers)

A 'leet militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear virtual arms shall not be infringed! -Cutter

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 29, 2017, 00:45 HorrorScope

60 Hz for 8K and 120 Hz for 4K.

Yeah that should be a solid standard for a while.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 28, 2017, 22:34 LittleMe

60 Hz for 8K and 120 Hz for 4K. The standard also supports Dynamic HDR and resolutions up to 10K for commercial and specialty use.

This new version of the HDMI specification also introduces an enhanced refresh rate that gamers will appreciate. VRR, or Variable Refresh Rate, reduces, or in some cases eliminates, lag for smoother gameplay, while Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency. Quick Media Switching, or QMS, reduces the amount of blank-screen wait time while switching media. HDMI 2.1 also includes Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which automatically sets the ideal latency for the smoothest viewing experience.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo