Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny 2 Free Trial Released

The promised free trial for Destiny 2 is now available, with the Windows edition of the first-person shooter sequel offered through Blizzard's Battle.net. This page has the details, and here's the overview offered there:

DESTINY 2 TRIAL INCLUDES:

• Campaign Mission on EDZ & Titan
  • Adventure and Explore two full worlds
  • PvP Multiplayer: Crucible Quickplay Playlist
  • Character Progression: to Level 7
  • Gameplay carries over to full game with purchase
  • Clan Functionality

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Nov 29, 2017, 22:49 ^Drag0n^

I hate consoles (ask Blue), but Destiny 1 was digital crack. It was the console equivalent of Quakeworld for me...gunplay just felt amazing, even for a console. Unfortumately with as many things as they got right in D2 (including an amazing PC version that didnt feel like a port), they totLly forgot about the base thing that kept players like me on the hampster wheel for three years: random rolls on gear.

I hope they fix itóthe live team has a far better record with the community than the core dev team, for the first time im a bit more wait and see...too many letdowns. Sure, allot of it is probably a backdraft originating in LA (Activision), but im still cautious, as Bungieís community skills are just atrocious: itís been the community that kept the game alive this long.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Game Reviews Nov 29, 2017, 14:30 peteham

My favorite thing about Destiny 2 has been the weekly middle-finger to all their European customers. With their 4-hour (actually 6 this week) maintenance windows, starting at 17:00 CET more or less every thursday.

It's just pure lazy&cheap that's keeping a publisher the size of Activision from having the infrastructure and Ops-people to, y'know, NOT shut down the entire game right in the middle of prime-time every week.

15. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 29, 2017, 04:11 Retired

Well said Jeff.  

14. Re: Use WoW Gold for Other Blizzard Games Nov 29, 2017, 00:53 JeffD

I got destiny for 35 from GMG and I'm liking it. Never played the first one but I always thought it was the kind of game I would totally dig. Mostly PvE but mmo in nature...although not nearly MMO on the scale of planetside.

The good:

- Game looks awesome.. and performs even better. The only thing that looked off was the waves on the water planet, you really need a whole separate technology package to do those sky scraper tall waves and look good doing it.

- story progresses well and doesn't stagnet to much in one place. Recently finished up some old main quest for FF14 to do stormblood and fell asleep because I was running around doing so much talking in the same place.
- weapon inventory and learning the upgrades and mods isn't too complex. Weapons and armors are given directly to you and you can infuse the power level of one into an older gun to keep that gun, and mods are straight forward.
- getting around to public events is pretty easy, most are near warp in points, and you are given a basic speeder at 20.

- Not sure what the guy below said, there is a group finder built in for strikes and such. Raids and maybe nightfalls may need manual organization. It took decades for WoW to find a manual LFG tool that worked well. There are several external tools to help with this.

- you can hop in, get some events done and be out in as short as 20 minutes if you prefer short sessions.

The bad:

- there is a pretty bad grind at 20. Doing events and strikes will net you streams of blues and purples that will keep your power level ticking up, but there is no such thing as instantly getting 230,260,300 gear levels if you are on alts or playing catchup. That is to say, there is no catchup. So while you join a clan and everyone is 305, you can't be carried into a raid and get 300 loots. What drops for you will be your level +5ish.

- I wont say the premise of the story is bad, but while the scope of the enemy and his plans are vast and over powering, you pretty much never get NPC help, and there are no multi player encounters like story mode strikes/raids for encounters that should have called for them. After finishing, you are left wondering what the danger was because you SINGLE HANDEDLY solved everything.

- each world has a large zone filled with open areas and plenty of buildings and passage ways with baddies to kill, but the game only allows like 8-10 people to spawn in each instance. This can lead to problems doing public events as at best its you and 4 others, and at times it is just you, and for the most part public events are not soloable.

- only 4 worlds, some zones accommodate 4-5 public events but some less, one of them only holds 2 and is just 2 open areas. This is a far cry from MMORPGs like FF14 and GW2 with events spread over vastly more land.

Overall: I probably consider it worth the $35 I paid for it. There are no monthly fees and it scratches my MMO Shooter itch. Bungie will probably add and improve the base game overall in the future as well as add content (that you need to pay for). It is a great looking world with what you can explore and while the mission and raids make the world seem bigger, when you are just free roaming and doing public events then options become smaller. There are many chances to go digging into tunnels and bunkers and you almost allways find a boss with loot to kill at the end.. but its all trash mobs and no real sense of accomplishment.

13. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 18:47 HorrorScope

Dacron wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 18:21:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 17:11:
Hate to be this guy. But I can't find the "Try it for Free" button for PC. Xbox and PS4 is right where you'd expect it. Where's it hiding for the PC?

It's insane. There is xbox/ps4/pc under try it now on the link, BUT, clicking the PC option brings you to the store ( https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/destiny2 ) with no option to trial it.

How can massive companies with so much money make such hapless blunders? Surely they had an internal test, no ?

It is in the Bliz App after you update it, they could have said "Download it in the Blizzard App".

12. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 18:42 The Half Elf

Good game, very solid gun play. Good looking, fun to do open missions.  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

11. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 18:40 Retired

whoops, posted in yesterdays news, so here is a repost/double post.

Game is "meh". Got it for $29.00 at GMG. I didn't really expect anything. It feels very console-y. Even with the FOV near 100 it still feels zoomed in. The models are very large.

Inventory is built directly for a console game, get like 9-12 items per weapon or gear slot - a joke.

Game feels boxed in, doesn't have an open feel like Borderlands games, even though they are pretty similar. The areas are very small.

Glad I only dropped 30 on it, it honestly feels like a mini game. Hit level 20 in a very short amount of time.

10. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 18:21 Dacron

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 17:11:
Hate to be this guy. But I can't find the "Try it for Free" button for PC. Xbox and PS4 is right where you'd expect it. Where's it hiding for the PC?

It's insane. There is xbox/ps4/pc under try it now on the link, BUT, clicking the PC option brings you to the store ( https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/destiny2 ) with no option to trial it.

How can massive companies with so much money make such hapless blunders? Surely they had an internal test, no ?

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

9. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 18:18 theyarecomingforyou

It's extremely linear and the gameplay is repetitive. Can't say I'm impressed. The story seems like it might be a little interesting but not enough to make me want to actually buy the game.  

8700K @ 4.9GHz / 32GB DDR4 / GTX 1080 OC
Optane 900P 280GB / 30" Hazro HZ30Wie

8. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 18:04 Tipsy McStagger

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 17:59:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 17:00:
Games really fun.. gameplay you'll have a blast playing as the mechanics are well done.

LOL

So how much booze did it take the Tipsy McStagger to arrive at this conclusion. Is it possible to "have a blast" or to feel that the "mechanics are well done" with less than a 99% blood alcohol level?

With my games list that I want to play and a massive updated to Elite Dangerous VR and RimWorld I have a lot of other options..

But I'm playing destiny 2 and it's keeping my interest after being talked into it by my friends.. so that's saying something.

Example: This weeks nightfall was super fast recharge of grenades.. and since I play TITAN MASTER CLASS it was a crazy fun time of exploding pulse grenades over and over to take on 100's of enemies..

It was very fun with 2 of your buddies doing the same.

Edit: and I don't drink so that's a sober opinion of the game.. nickname from my high school buddies first time i got drunk because that was roughly the same time frame Simpsons Flaming moes episode aired. THE MORE YOU KNOW

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2017, 18:18.

7. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 17:59 CJ_Parker

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 17:00:
Games really fun.. gameplay you'll have a blast playing as the mechanics are well done.

LOL

So how much booze did it take the Tipsy McStagger to arrive at this conclusion. Is it possible to "have a blast" or to feel that the "mechanics are well done" with less than a 99% blood alcohol level?

6. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 17:16 theglaze

Iíll give it a go, but heard itís boring.  

5. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 17:11 HorrorScope

4. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 17:00 Tipsy McStagger

I posted this in the yesterdays thread this morning about my gripes but they're quality of life problems and not actual gameplay mechanics.

Missed one of:
-Clans limited to 100 players.

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 11:15:

That being said, I understand the gripes about it being big steps back..

There's very basic things that for whatever reason they didn't do properly. Quality of Life problems pretty much.

Examples:
-Lack of in game chat channels, they've said this is because they want to avoid trolling but that's some bullshit.
-This stupid +5 mod on weapons.. if you have a gun that's 290 power level and add a +5 legendary mod it will boost it to 295. Then when you get a gun drop thats say 294, you can infuse it into that gun thats 295 even though it says it is lower, but it's not because of the mod.. it's a stupid system and it should be obvious that you can infuse the gun with a lower power because of the mod.
-Challenges/Tasks are only viewable in the mission area.. Example is IRON BANNER challenges can only be viewed in an iron banner match.
-Challenges can only be viewed if you did not pick up anything.. second you pick up something it goes hidden for 20 seconds then it'll finally appear.. it's horribly done.
-Joining/leaving Fireteams are kind of a pain, especially if your fireteam member is in a tower and the instance is full. It shouldn't be this hard.
-Try disbanding a clan.. LOL!!!! What a nightmare it was for us to merge clans
-No ingame LFG.. This is 2017 people.. WoW did this back in 2007.
-LFG and other bullshit like easy transfer of weapons require their fucking mobile App to be streamlined.. They have an LFG in their mobile app but jesus fuck what the fuck.. PUT IT IN THE GAME DILDOS.
-The first missions kind of explain the mechanics of Region Loot Chest, how to find Lost Sectors, How to do public events but overall it doesn't actually spell it out. "LOOK AT THIS PICTURE ON THE WALL" doesn't actually translate to "These are the lost sector challenge locations" very well. I think it could have been done better on the challenge screen
-Inventory system is still as horrible as destiny 1.. Try sorting your bank.. OH WAIT THEY DON'T HAVE ONE.

That's the jist of it.. As you can see it's quality of life bullshit but it's like the game was released 6 months early.. we're in public beta release again.

3. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 16:06 J

Does this free trial fix the 'incorrect xp gain displayed' bug?  

nin: This forum is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Blue: What do you mean, "biblical"?
xXBatmanXx: What he means is Old BBS, El Presidente, real wrath of SysOp type stuff.

2. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 15:29 SimplyMonk

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 15:21:
When does battle.net change names?

They nixed that. Or rather they just changed it to "Blizzard Battle.net". Someone realized that preserving decades long name recognition was a good thing.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/14/16145854/blizzard-battle-net-name

1. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Released Nov 28, 2017, 15:21 RedEye9

When does battle.net change names?  

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo