Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex

After indications early this year that the Deus Ex series was going on hiatus, Square Enix refutes any perception that the franchise is dead. In an interview on GamesIndustry.biz with Yosuke Matsuda, he explains that this is a "very important franchise" and that they are already having internal discussions on the next installment. Here's word, which notes that the Thief series is likely affected by the same glut of projects at Eidos Montreal that caused Deus Ex to go on the back burner:

Matsuda is also quick to quash premature reports of Deus Ex's demise: "We have never said anything about discontinuing that title but for some reason that's the rumour out on the market.

"What I can say is Eidos Montreal has always developed Deus Ex, and the issue is we do not have limitless resources. We have several big titles that we work with and that's partly a factor in what our line-up looks like. Of course, it would be ideal if we could work on all of them all of the time, but the fact of the matter is some titles have to wait their turn. The reason there isn't a Deus Ex right now is just a product of our development line-up because there are other titles we are working on."

He went on to add that Deus Ex is also a "very important franchise" for the publisher, highlighting its unique position in Square Enix's portfolio as a first-person title, and added: "We are already internally discussing and exploring what we want do with the next instalment of it."

While Matsuda didn't address Thief specifically, the stealth series is also developed at Eidos Montreal so is no doubt in the same position at Deus Ex. This is in no small part because Eidos Montreal is one of several studios working on Square Enix's multi-year, multi-game partnership with Marvel Studios.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Dec 10, 2017, 06:47 Jerykk

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 14:12:
Thief should have been a slam dunk. Go back and play 1 and 2. Modernize the mechanics but don't reinvent them. Create a compelling story. Ship it. Sell like gothcakes on Halloween. Shalebridge Cradle is one of the pinnacles of atmosphere and level design. It should have been an easy inspiration.

Pure stealth games don't sell enough to justify development costs these days. Publishers expect AAA games to sell at least 5 million copies within a year. Making a shinier version of Thief won't generate those numbers.

Also, Shalebridge Cradle is from Deadly Shadows which was the most hated Thief until the latest one was announced. The Thief community is not open to change and will shit on any Thief that isn't exactly like the first two. They crapped themselves when Deadly Shadows replaced the rope arrow with climbing gloves and they crapped themselves again when you could only use the rope arrow in specific locations in the latest Thief. In order to justify a AAA budget, Square would have to streamline certain mechanics and make combat a more viable option, at which point fans would start hating on the game before it even came out. This is exactly what happened with Deadly Shadows and the newest Thief.

Square isn't going to make a game that won't sell 5 million copies and will generate negative hype long before release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 19:13 StingingVelvet

They're nothing at all like the Metal Gear games (or at least the Playstation ones I played back in the day). Not every game with swords and sorcery is a Gauntlet clone either.  

15. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 18:44 Dr donkles

Good to hear. I've never played them at all, until Mankind Divided. Had no idea it was so cyberpunk.

All I remember was it was originally marketed to look like a copy of Metal Gear Solid, so i completely ignored it just from that. Really?

What would you rather play, Super Mario Bros, or "the plumber twins, player 2 is the green one"?

I saw it as a generic version of MGS, when MGS titles were still being made in other words.

Glad I at least got to play this last one.

14. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 16:54 StingingVelvet

I only played Human Revolution but I loved it. One of the very few modern games I felt lived up to its roots. Yes there were some changes made to mainstream it a bit, but nothing too bad. I hope Mankind Divided and Thief are games I can say the same thing about, now that I've got an upgraded PC to play them with.  

13. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 28, 2017, 15:17 Burrito of Peace

Kajetan wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 14:46:
Perhaps it is for the best that SE/EM are letting those two titles lie fallow for a bit. Perhaps in the future, a different team can do both titles justice and create enjoyable games.
A different team will still have to answer to the board of Square-Enix. How will that improve anything?

Pretty simply, actually. Your standard board is so far removed that the only thing they'll see or care about is the FYI statement. The actual creative direction is up to the studio head, usually. If you have a sound pitch with enough storyboarding and a semi-functional prototype then you have a good chance of a greenlight. Especially if you do it during the wind-down phase of a project when the studio/company is looking for the next project. If the studio head likes it, they'll go to the VP of Finance and say "We need X dollars for Project Y which I have estimated will take Z manhours and be shippable by Qn." I have never been in a large studio where a CEO/CFO/etc have made the go/nogo call on a project. The only time where that did occur was on a small team at a startup where the "head" was also a working member of the team.

12. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 28, 2017, 14:53 Agent.X7

Corp speak for "we still own the IP, but the last entry did poorly and so we're not keen to try again anytime soon."

If it had been a blockbuster they would be working hard on the next one right now.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

11. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 28, 2017, 14:46 Kajetan

Perhaps it is for the best that SE/EM are letting those two titles lie fallow for a bit. Perhaps in the future, a different team can do both titles justice and create enjoyable games.
A different team will still have to answer to the board of Square-Enix. How will that improve anything?

10. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 14:23 MajorD

I finished MD but only in the sense that it was more of a hatefuck than an enjoyable desire.

Hilarious analogy, I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Still counting...

9. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 14:12 Burrito of Peace

I guess I'm the odd man out here. I hated Mankind Divided. As others have said the plot and characters were weaker than a malnourished two year old. Moreover, I hated the level design and it was so fucking lazy to me. Back and forth over the same ground. Over and over and over. Jensen was even less likable to me in Mankind Divided than he was in Human Revolution. I finished MD but only in the sense that it was more of a hatefuck than an enjoyable desire.

Thief should have been a slam dunk. Go back and play 1 and 2. Modernize the mechanics but don't reinvent them. Create a compelling story. Ship it. Sell like gothcakes on Halloween. Shalebridge Cradle is one of the pinnacles of atmosphere and level design. It should have been an easy inspiration.

8. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 13:52 Cutter

Still haven't played Mankind and don't know if I ever will. And their version of Thief was just awful. Truly awful. I wish they'd either sell the property or let someone else do it. I have zero faith in this company to make good games. I'm sure their Marvel games will blow just as badly.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

7. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 28, 2017, 13:35 Kajetan

Beamer wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 10:26:
I just bought Mankind Divided yesterday for $8. I look forward to finding the time to play it some time in the next 3 years.
Maybe this game has an ending in three years. The story just ends cliffhanger-style. Its soooo obvious that SE planned to sell tons of story DLC to finish the story. None of this DLC will come.

Its a good game, but sadly butchered because SE became too greedy and they fucked it all up at the end.

6. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 11:51 Nimh

For me Mankind Divided was the best one since the original. The story/characters being the weak spot as others have said. I'm glad they are not completely abandoning it.  

5. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 11:23 Scottish Martial Arts

Iím very reassured to hear this. I absolutely loved Mankind Divided, although the criticism of a weak plot and characters is entirely fair. My biggest disappointment with the game however was the fear that there wouldnít be a proper follow up. If one is indeed coming, albeit on likely a 5+ year timescale, then Iím very glad to hear it.  

4. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 10:49 Creston

So there won't be anything in the next few years, but at least maybe we'll still get SOMETHING at some point.

The annoying thing is Square's insistence that anything that doesn't sell 10 million copies is an automatic failure.

3. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 10:28 MajorD

Well, hopefully they learned by their mistakes with the last installments of the franchises; Thief with its weak disjointed story line, weak character development, terrible level designs due to too many transitional loading screens, and stupid/ridiculous AI. And Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with its what seemed to be a rushed plot, weak character development, and greed ridden micro transactions.

Did you pay attention Eidos and Square Enix?

Still counting...

2. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 10:26 Beamer

I just bought Mankind Divided yesterday for $8. I look forward to finding the time to play it some time in the next 3 years.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Square Enix on the Future of Deus Ex Nov 28, 2017, 10:23 Verno

I'm OK with it going on a break for awhile. Mankind Divided was good and featured some of the best level design I've seen in awhile but I feel like they need some time to think about where to take it next. The story continues to be a bit of stumbling block for them too and they were a bit hamstrung by choosing to go the prequel route. I hope next time they do something where they can work loosely with the same universe but start to do some original stuff.  
Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo