Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Giving Tuesday, an occasion I daresay rates more attention than Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined.

Dark Horizons has word on the possibility of a sequel to Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, just 14 years after the release of the age of sail movie. I found the original to be a terrific epic tale, and always thought its worthiness of a sequel was a no-brainer, but I'd long ago given up any hope that one would happen. This possibility was raised in a tweet from Russell Crowe, and he suggest that the chances this will happen could be enhanced by tweeting 20th Century Fox which may be enough for me to start a persona Twitter account just to throw my support behind this.

R.I.P.: Pelham's Anthony Senerchia, inspired Ice Bucket Challenge, dead at 46.

Giving Links: Thanks Ant.
Play: Neon Biker.
Big Ice Tower Tiny Square.
Stories: Woman Gets Final Birthday Flowers From Her Father, Years After His Death. Onion warning. Thanks RedEye9.
Alfa Romeo Giulia named 'Motor Trend' Car of the Year.
Bali Volcano Spits Ash 2 ½ Miles in the Sky, Airport Closed.
Science: Dance By The Light Of The 2017 Supermoon- The How And When.
See a doctor if you drank raw milk, federal officials warn.
Is it possible to eat so much that your stomach explodes? Thanks RedEye9.
Media: ADAM: Episode 2. Thanks Hypothermia.
Cheese Expert Guesses Cheap vs Expensive Cheeses.
The pain must have been unbearable. Adorable animal and nutshot video mashup.
Follow-up: Judge: Doctor who doesn't use computer can't regain license.
A flat-Earther’s plan to launch himself in a homemade rocket has been postponed — again.
Cameron On "Avatar 2" Delay & Possible Failure.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2017, 09:09 Pigeon

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 16:51:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 16:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 12:39:
Former FCC Chairman Wheeler Reacts to Net Neutrality Plan
The cablization of the internet
Pai gives ass cancer a good name.

It’s always surprised me how thin the anti-net neutrality argument has been. The only consumer positive argument I've seen for anti-net neutrality is it will incentivize ISPs to expand/improve services. Which is possible, but it’s not as though they’ve lacked incentive before, so it’s foolish to think this is the thing that’s going to spur them to action. With near regional monopolies they can take as long as they want to improve and expand without worrying the market is going to disappear.

All the other arguments are some vacuous claim it’ll increase competition with zero explanation how this will happen, and the irrational negative reaction to the word ‘regulation’ regardless of what’s being regulated, why or how.

But on it goes because corporations deem it so, and the uninformed masses are too apathetic or indoctrinated to know they’re about to get screwed hard.

98% or some crazy number of verified (non-spam) respondents have supported net neutrality and opposed Pai's ISP giveaway. I think the masses, unlike many other issues, have spoken out pretty clearly in this case.

The internet masses yes, i.e. people who use the internet for more than social-media and netflix, but my impression of the general public's stance is one of cluelessness. To be clear I don't think most anyone who actually understands what's going on would actually want the demise of net-neutrality. If they did people would be outraged on more places than just the internet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 21:20 The Half Elf

1badmf wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 19:54:
[quote="The Half Elf"Nov 28, 2017, 18:55"12670
uit buying shit from Amazon.

At least till Jan 1st.

That is all.

Carry on.

*goes and hooks up a IV of Bourbon*
jesus i think i need an intervention with my amazon account. i bought a thousand bucks of computer stuff, you know, whatevs. then i bought a rather expensive watch cuz it caught my eye while browsing... then another watch cuz it caught my eye MOAR. and rather expensive shoes and a jacket even though i already have between 6-12 of each. and i barely stopped myself from buying a new bicycle. oh and i haven't even done any xmas shopping yet XD
Amazon is my new (old) Steam sale crack.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 21:15 RedEye9

I had never seen M&C partly because of my fear of the ocean and Crowe aversion.
Currently halfway through it and am loving every salt sprayed moment.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 19:54 1badmf

[quote="The Half Elf"Nov 28, 2017, 18:55"12670uit buying shit from Amazon.

At least till Jan 1st.

That is all.

Carry on.

jesus i think i need an intervention with my amazon account. i bought a thousand bucks of computer stuff, you know, whatevs. then i bought a rather expensive watch cuz it caught my eye while browsing... then another watch cuz it caught my eye MOAR. and rather expensive shoes and a jacket even though i already have between 6-12 of each. and i barely stopped myself from buying a new bicycle. oh and i haven't even done any xmas shopping yet XD

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 19:50 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 17:20:
I was discussing M & C a few months ago with a coworker, and we decided that there hasn't been a great naval movie involving capital ships set in WW1 or WW2. There have been a lot of good submarine movies (Das Boot, K-19, Red October), and a bunch of cheesy '50s naval movies, but nothing modern, nothing classic.

For example, the story of the Graf Spee is a great story to adapt. The "enemy" captain is a man of honor, who evacuates British merchant ships before he sinks them. And the commodore of the British fleet is an A-hole, IIRC. The Battle of the River Plate is a great tactical one, and in the end the losing side "wins." It's a story waiting to be given a proper treatment.

What, 2012's Battlehsip doesn't count? blasphemer!

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 18:55 The Half Elf

Quit buying shit from Amazon.

At least till Jan 1st.

That is all.

Carry on.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 17:57 RedEye9

The Senate tax bill would slash the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 20 percent
Just a drop in the bucket.
Less money coming in will fund infrastructure improvements.
Nothing beats party over country, god bless their pea picken souls.

Trump Voters Celebrate Massive Tax Cut for Everyone But Them

On a good note, the dprk is getting closer to fixing the problem.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 17:20 jdreyer

I was discussing M & C a few months ago with a coworker, and we decided that there hasn't been a great naval movie involving capital ships set in WW1 or WW2. There have been a lot of good submarine movies (Das Boot, K-19, Red October), and a bunch of cheesy '50s naval movies, but nothing modern, nothing classic.

For example, the story of the Graf Spee is a great story to adapt. The "enemy" captain is a man of honor, who evacuates British merchant ships before he sinks them. And the commodore of the British fleet is an A-hole, IIRC. The Battle of the River Plate is a great tactical one, and in the end the losing side "wins." It's a story waiting to be given a proper treatment.

Stay a while, and listen.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 16:51 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 16:48:

It’s always surprised me how thin the anti-net neutrality argument has been. The only consumer positive argument I've seen for anti-net neutrality is it will incentivize ISPs to expand/improve services. Which is possible, but it’s not as though they’ve lacked incentive before, so it’s foolish to think this is the thing that’s going to spur them to action. With near regional monopolies they can take as long as they want to improve and expand without worrying the market is going to disappear.

All the other arguments are some vacuous claim it’ll increase competition with zero explanation how this will happen, and the irrational negative reaction to the word ‘regulation’ regardless of what’s being regulated, why or how.

But on it goes because corporations deem it so, and the uninformed masses are too apathetic or indoctrinated to know they’re about to get screwed hard.

98% or some crazy number of verified (non-spam) respondents have supported net neutrality and opposed Pai's ISP giveaway. I think the masses, unlike many other issues, have spoken out pretty clearly in this case.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 16:48 Pigeon

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 15:27 jdreyer

Cameron On "Avatar 2" Delay & Possible Failure.

Cameron had the momentum back in 2010. We should have had that sequel in 2013.

14. Re: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Nov 28, 2017, 15:24 jdreyer

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 13:46:
MajorD wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 13:00:
This and Gladiator are probably my favorite from Russell Crow movies.
He has made a couple of good role choices over the years. In addition to those two:

Body of Lies
A Beautiful Mind
L.A. Confidential
Les Misérables

He was also great in The Insider.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 15:19 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 11:20:
One of my favorites and something I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to. Any other year it would've won Best Picture but it was up against Return of the King that year IIRC. I can't believe that was 14 years ago already, god I'm old. I rewatched it a few months ago and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think I will pick up the book series that the movie is based on sometime, perhaps a good Christmas list opportunity.

Coincidentally, I just rewatched this a couple of days ago. Simply one of the greatest movies ever made. Fantastic delineated characters, great plot, amazing action, incredible world building. A great bromance between the doctor and the captain, and an excellent child-actor performance by Max Pirkis as Lord Blakeney.

The movie never got a sequel because it barely covered production costs.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 15:10 jdreyer

Happy Giving Tuesday, an occasion I daresay rates more attention than Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined.

Hey, hey, hey now. I gave to plenty of good causes on Friday and Monday: Amazon, Valve, Target, Newegg, and a few others.

11. Re: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Nov 28, 2017, 15:09  Blue 

He has made a couple of good role choices over the years. In addition to those two:

Body of Lies
A Beautiful Mind
L.A. Confidential
Les Misérables

L.A. Confidential is on my shortlist for favorite movies of all time.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

10. Re: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Nov 28, 2017, 14:24 MajorD

Body of Lies
A Beautiful Mind
L.A. Confidential
Les Misérables

Totally agree, but if I had to choose, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World & Gladiator would be my favorites.

Still counting...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 14:13 VaranDragon

Verno wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 11:20:

I think I will pick up the book series that the movie is based on sometime, perhaps a good Christmas list opportunity.

Im just finishing a second rereading of the entire series. The film is remarkably faithful to the two main characters of the book series, (though not to any particular story in the books) which is why it works so well.

The series is 20 books overall, but they are such fun to read (once you get used to the 19th century language) that it goes by too fast....

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 14:13 Cutter

I'd much rather see one of these FE types try to sail to the "edge" of the world. I'd love to see their reaction when they can't find it. I'd love to hear the excuses. I bet they believe it's like Eric the Viking, the boat would just shoot off into space.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.

7. Re: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Nov 28, 2017, 13:46 Mr. Tact

Body of Lies
A Beautiful Mind
L.A. Confidential
Les Misérables

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

6. Re: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Nov 28, 2017, 13:00 MajorD

A sequel to Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is definitely welcoming news. A great story displaying true grit, tactics, and reliance on instincts and intelligence w/o modern technology. Yeah, it's hard to believe it has been 14 years already.

Still counting...

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo