Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow

Bungie announce a free trial version of Destiny 2 is expected tomorrow, offering a sample of the shooter sequel for Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Word is the Windows edition, like the full game, will be released though the Battle.net client. This news comes amid a report on Kotaku of player rage at the game's experience system and a lack of transparency from the developer. A new trailer covers the news, and reflects that aforementioned discontent by showing more dislikes than likes (as of this writing). The video has some details on the trial in its description:

So, you’re new to Destiny 2? Enjoy the free trial and jump into the cinematic campaign on your own or with friends. Want to battle other players? Enter the multiplayer arena and put your skills to the ultimate test. Carry over your progress from the trial with purchase of the full-game.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 18:33 Retired

Game is "meh". Got it for $29.00 at GMG. I didn't really expect anything. It feels very console-y. Even with the FOV near 100 it still feels zoomed in. The models are very large.

Inventory is built directly for a console game, get like 9-12 items per weapon or gear slot - a joke.

Game feels boxed in, doesn't have an open feel like Borderlands games, even though they are pretty similar. The areas are very small.

Glad I only dropped 30 on it, it honestly feels like a mini game. Hit level 20 in a very short amount of time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 12:21 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 11:15:
-The first missions kind of explain the mechanics of Region Loot Chest, how to find Lost Sectors, How to do public events but overall it doesn't actually spell it out. "LOOK AT THIS PICTURE ON THE WALL" doesn't actually translate to "These are the lost sector challenge locations" very well. I think it could have been done better on the challenge screen

As a total n00b to the series, I have to admit that holy shit finding missions was confusing as f*ck.

I get to the Farm, get a mission assigned, and then nothing. Because I have to go into the director and earth and then the area I want to fly to. Which sort of makes sense but the in-game mission briefing says "take the ship you came here in to blah blah blah and do yadda yadda yadda"

The UI is kind of confusing in general. There were some moments of real frustration there.

Once in the maps, combat, moment to moment, feels pretty good. I'm enjoying that.

20. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 12:06 Tipsy McStagger

Creston wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 11:57:
That XP thing is so scummy, I wouldn't pick up this game if it was 5 bucks.

My new 1070ti apparently doesn't come with Destiny 2, where pretty much all other Geforces did, so I'm being spared even the free version.

The XP thing is kind of scummy but it is for Shaders basically.. I didn't even care as I'm not playing Fashion Destiny 2...

19. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 11:57 Creston

That XP thing is so scummy, I wouldn't pick up this game if it was 5 bucks.

My new 1070ti apparently doesn't come with Destiny 2, where pretty much all other Geforces did, so I'm being spared even the free version.

18. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 11:15 Tipsy McStagger

Games really fun.. gameplay you'll have a blast playing as the mechanics are well done.

That being said, I understand the gripes about it being big steps back..

There's very basic things that for whatever reason they didn't do properly. Quality of Life problems pretty much.

Examples:
-Lack of in game chat channels, they've said this is because they want to avoid trolling but that's some bullshit.
-This stupid +5 mod on weapons.. if you have a gun that's 290 power level and add a +5 legendary mod it will boost it to 295. Then when you get a gun drop thats say 294, you can infuse it into that gun thats 295 even though it says it is lower, but it's not because of the mod.. it's a stupid system and it should be obvious that you can infuse the gun with a lower power because of the mod.
-Challenges/Tasks are only viewable in the mission area.. Example is IRON BANNER challenges can only be viewed in an iron banner match.
-Challenges can only be viewed if you did not pick up anything.. second you pick up something it goes hidden for 20 seconds then it'll finally appear.. it's horribly done.
-Joining/leaving Fireteams are kind of a pain, especially if your fireteam member is in a tower and the instance is full. It shouldn't be this hard.
-Try disbanding a clan.. LOL!!!! What a nightmare it was for us to merge clans
-No ingame LFG.. This is 2017 people.. WoW did this back in 2007.
-LFG and other bullshit like easy transfer of weapons require their fucking mobile App to be streamlined.. They have an LFG in their mobile app but jesus fuck what the fuck.. PUT IT IN THE GAME DILDOS.
-The first missions kind of explain the mechanics of Region Loot Chest, how to find Lost Sectors, How to do public events but overall it doesn't actually spell it out. "LOOK AT THIS PICTURE ON THE WALL" doesn't actually translate to "These are the lost sector challenge locations" very well. I think it could have been done better on the challenge screen
-Inventory system is still as horrible as destiny 1.. Try sorting your bank.. OH WAIT THEY DON'T HAVE ONE.

That's the jist of it.. As you can see it's quality of life bullshit but it's like the game was released 6 months early.. we're in public beta release again.

17. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 10:29 Beamer

SimplyMonk wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 09:07:
Big step back from Destiny 1 in terms of content, loot mechanics, replay ability, character customization and gameplay mechanics. That being said, for a first timer the game is solid and the gun play itself is great with some humerus bits in the all too short storyline. If you want to see a literal salt mine though, check out the subreddit. Place is super depressing now, but for mostly valid reasons. Like I said, real big disappointment for those that loved Destiny 1.

Is it a step back from Destiny 1 out of the box, or Destiny 1 after all the add-ons and DLC? I don't know what those DLC pieces included, I just know there were a lot.

From what I gather, the big issue here was it needed another year of dev time. All the time spent on that DLC reduced the time to make D2, so D2 kind of comes across as a D1.5 rather than a true leap, and new games often have fewer features than games that have been allowed to grow for a bit (e.g., look at how any version of an EA Sports game with a new engine lacks the features of the prior version on the old engine - because the team had additional time to put those features in rather than build something wholly new. Not the exact case here, but somewhat similar.)

Which doesn't excuse it, just explains it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 10:03 Verno

Jagacademy wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 09:56:
If I wanted to play this crap I'd own a Playstation.

The Playstation has way better games than this though.

Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein II, SNES Classic
Watching: An Inconvenient Sequel, The Orville, Star Trek Voyager

15. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 09:56 Jagacademy

If I wanted to play this crap I'd own a Playstation.  

14. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 09:55 El Pit

Darks wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 08:18:
El Pit wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 04:22:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 27, 2017, 23:06:
Will the demo come with all the XP manipulation of the full game?

No, but with a little luck you can find this superpower in a loot box.

There are no loot boxes in this game, so dont try to make this game out to be like that shitty EA Star Wars game.

It was a joke, Darks. A JOKE.

But with xp halved, why not let the poor gamers buy loot drops which contain timed xp bonuses... Hm...

Darks, just another joke. Just to be sure.

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

13. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 09:07 SimplyMonk

Big step back from Destiny 1 in terms of content, loot mechanics, replay ability, character customization and gameplay mechanics. That being said, for a first timer the game is solid and the gun play itself is great with some humerus bits in the all too short storyline. If you want to see a literal salt mine though, check out the subreddit. Place is super depressing now, but for mostly valid reasons. Like I said, real big disappointment for those that loved Destiny 1.  

12. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 08:18 Darks

El Pit wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 04:22:

There are no loot boxes in this game, so dont try to make this game out to be like that shitty EA Star Wars game.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

11. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 04:22 El Pit

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

10. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 02:44 DangerDog

Rhett wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 00:00:

Pretty sure that was entirely disabled to be reworked.

lol fake news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6AQDtAJalY

it's like Activision is sitting back and trying to come up with ways to out do EA for their shitty MT system.

they were caught throttling peoples XP and then after the change they were caught halving the XP you got before the change. I think it's just for cosmetic crap so the joke is really on the people grinding hour after hour for their virtual reward.

9. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 00:00 Rhett

Pretty sure that was entirely disabled to be reworked.

8. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 23:20 HorrorScope

So this is one day and what is the size of thee download?  

7. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 23:06 jdreyer

Stay a while, and listen.

6. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 22:43 Flatline

They needed to do this a couple weeks ago to feed into the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. 30 bucks or so for the game is not bad and I'm having fun with it.  

5. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 21:33 SacredGinmill

I only have 1 other friend that plays, so not really enough to do the timed weekly dungeon and I hate timed challenges.

For PVP, I like bigger teams, such as what battlefield games provide.

If I want to try to upgrade my gear, I only have about 1 hour of content per week.

4. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 21:26 Rhett

It's uniquely better than Borderlands mechanically and gameplay-wise (because it takes shooting much more seriously), but it's more dumbed down than D1. I think they're looking to fix that though. I don't think it's keeping a playerbase like they wanted.  

3. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 20:56 Ravor

The free trial / beta a while ago actually turned me off of the game. If at that point I hadn't already pre-ordered it (dumb) then I wouldn't have bought it.

With that being said, it was a decent story experience and I played it through once, and will probably never touch it again.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo